Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Delete Notices Program Only Works Partially

A few days ago I got tired of deleting dozens of notices for "Personal Document Charge Exceeded . . " and "Personal Document(s) waiting for . . . " on my K3.

So I wrote a tiny program, using Microsoft's free Visual Basic 2010 Express, to look, every few seconds, for a Kindle-named removeable drive with a documents folder, and then delete all files where the file name begins with the words "Personal document", case insensitive.

This might not be good to distribute without more analysis, since it will kill any book whose title begins with the words "Personal Document," but I thought it would be safe enough for me.

The problem I am having is that only a portion of the notices seem to have named deletable files associated with them.

I'll now walk you through what happens.

I had, a few minutes ago, two files in my documents folder that begin with the words "Personal documents." They were:

Personal Documents waiting for W-asin_eb8ab6f846ac1f24ab8a891db4163f3f8800688f-0-23879649-DEVICE_WIFI-wifi-type_PDOC-v_0.azw

and

Personal Documents waiting for W-asin_eb8ab6f846ac1f24ab8a891db4163f3f8800688f-0-23879649-DEVICE_WIFI-wifi-type_PDOC-v_0.mbp

So I disconnectted from the PC and checked the number of notices showing on the Kindle device home listing. There were eight.

Then I hooked back the Kindle to the PC USB.

Then my Visual Basic program did its thing.

And then the total number of notices showing on my Kindle device book list is: six. And going back to the PC hookup, the two files named above are gone.

It thus appears that there were eight notices on the Kindle, of which only two were visible as PC files. So I could only delete those two from code.

I am using a PC running MS Vista with the Folder Options set to show everything, including system and hidden files.

Other than telling me to learn Linux, of which I am sadly ignorant, it is possible to point me in the direction of what I am missing here?

Thank for all ideas.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
For the record, I have solved this to my satisfaction. This criteria seems to isolate the useless notices for me:

strFileName = LCase(strFileName)

If (Right(strFileName, 4) = ".azw" Or Right(strFileName, 4) = ".mbp") Then
If Left(strFileName, 30) = "personal documents waiting for" Or _
Left(Right(strFileName, 22), 18) = "note-type_pdoc-v_0" Then . . .
My personal document charge limit is set to zero at amazon.com. Maybe if it was set higher, I would get different kinds of notices. Or maybe if I bought content from Amazon I would get different types of notices (I have mostly been reading Project Gutenberg books and other free content).
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert