Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
This darn Kindle Indexing process

I was sitting on a plane, at the start of a 13 hour journey, and discovered to my horror that my DX had suddenly decided to re-index all 1200 of my books...thus ensuring that I would not have sufficient battery life for the whole trip.

Then, when I plugged in the Gomadic battery pack I bought from Amazon for just such emergencies, instead of a solid orange light I had a BLINKING orange light. Of course the manual does not mention such a thing so I have no clue what it was telling me.

There does not seem to be a way to turn off the indexing function, or at the very least to defer it until a more convenient time.

I read only fiction on my Kindle, and frankly I can't imagine a situation where I would want to search my books (do I want to know, for example, how many books contain characters named 'Bill'? naaaaah)

I really wish the firmware had an option to turn off indexing entirely. In this instance it prevented me from using my Kindle at a time when I was depending on it.

Last edited by mdibella; 10-13-2009 at 10:25 AM.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
This truly was "Nightmare at 10,000 Feet" - so sorry to hear about this. I'll bet you loaded up your DX before travel (to have something to read) and it waited until the idle time during boarding & take-off to decide to index the lot!

I don't know of any way to turn off the indexing function. I would try shutting it off and when it restarted, trying to open something to read before it could start the indexing. Yikes! I truly feel your pain.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

sadly, the indexing continues in the background even if you are reading a book. That's how I knew I had a problem, suddenly my battery indicator started dropping like a stone...

I did buy a few new books before boarding but I sure didn't buy 1200 of them, so I have no idea why it decided to re-index all of them.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
sadly, the indexing continues in the background even if you are reading a book. That's how I knew I had a problem, suddenly my battery indicator started dropping like a stone...

I did buy a few new books before boarding but I sure didn't buy 1200 of them, so I have no idea why it decided to re-index all of them.
Maybe it started at the beginning of your list with the new additions, and just kept going!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Maybe you better use your K1, put all the books on a SD card, and avoid this problem?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
I saw the blinking light before, and I was using a power pack. I assumed that the power pack couldn't provide as much power as the Kindle could have accepted, so there were rushes of power, then lulls, then rushes of power -- like mobs of lemmings going thru a turnstyle before jumping off a cliff. Or something like that...
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I saw the blinking light before, and I was using a power pack. I assumed that the power pack couldn't provide as much power as the Kindle could have accepted, so there were rushes of power, then lulls, then rushes of power -- like mobs of lemmings going thru a turnstyle before jumping off a cliff. Or something like that...
The best laugh (and mental image) I've ever had in the Troubleshooting forum.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
mdibella
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Did it eventually charge the Kindle?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Did it eventually charge the Kindle?
Excellent question. I had the feeling it was keeping the Kindle at its current level, but I didn't have the patience to see if it was really charging it.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?

I have read in other forums that the battery pack chargers won't/can't fully recharge a Kindle, but do allow you to keep on reading as long as the charger is plugged into the Kindle.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #11
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I just got my new international Kindle and dumped about 100 books onto it. Is this why it's running like a dog now? The indexing?
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
mdibella
Groupie

That would be the cause of the barking. Once the indexing is done, it will run fine.

I really really wish they'd put in a firmware option to turn OFF the indexing. I've had Kindles since the K1 first released, and I don't think I have ever done a search...I have no earthly use for that darn index.