Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #121
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Most books I read are good. Informative. Only a small percentage is recreation.
I like SF books, but don't frequently read one anymore.
In this demanding times where time seems to be shortened, I spend more time reading informative books like science or history books, rather than entertainment books.
Aha! Now this is an interesting point I see before me (or I think I see it)!

Please don't take offense at this... but I understand from your signature that you're unemployed at the moment?

When I'm not working fulltime, I tend to read history, theology, science, etc. Some very in-depth stuff. However, I've been working full-time for over five years now. And my work is very involved, and requires a lot of brainpower and research. Hence, I'm not at ALL interested in reading anything educational when I get home. I'm all researched out. Reading for fun, these days, is anything that entertains me while not requiring me to think too hard or keep ahold of too many concepts at a time. Light, pulpy stuff.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #122
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Read everything. Let your brain sort out the useful or informative or entertaining from the trashy wasted time. Read everything.

Ever been on a looong backpacking trip? The sort where you've finished your book by the 4th-5th day and have nothing left to read? And you find yourself reading the directions to the dehydrated soup? Reading the manufacturing tags in your clothing? Reading your palm?

Reading is brain exercise. Reading Chaucer, Joyce, or Clauswitz is sort of like doing 500 sit-ups followed by 500 push-ups (press-ups for our UK cousins,) lifting free weights for an hour, followed by running 50k. A wee bit excessive for everyday exercise.
Reading Kellerman, Brown, Child, Parker, etc., is quite like riding a stationary bike for 20 minutes, followed by 10 minutes on the StairMaster, then 20 minutes fast walking on the treadmill. Perhaps a wee bit too easy on the body, but still with some effect.

Alternating days with these two exercise plans might just be the way to get/stay in shape?

Read everything. Let your brain sort out the useful or informative or entertaining from the trashy wasted time. Read everything. Nothing will be lost.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #123
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Most books I read are good. Informative. Only a small percentage is recreation.
[...]
In my mind, entertainment is good for people who have the time to be entertained.
I have plenty of time, but not enough to be 'wasted' on entertainment books...

I also find that a lot of unmotivated people love to read entertainment books,while motivated people, if they are reading, are often reading stuff that will help them in their course of life.
Woah, dude! You need to, like, chill out! Seriously. Life is too short to waste your time on a purpose (or all of your time anyway). What are you doing all this for, if it's not to enjoy yourself once in a while?

You seem to assume that anything enjoyable is either useless or shameful. And to assume that a book cannot be good and entertaining at the same time. You are missing out on a lot of life, you know.

Just because a book isn't a user manual to life doesn't mean it's not useful. Life isn't something you figure out with a manual.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #124
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I work and go to school full time, leaving very little time for doing a lot of different things, but since I am being productive most of the time, I prefer to read for entertainment. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. When I went camping for the first time a month back, where did I learn how to start a camp fire? Stephen King. I've learned a lot of things just reading for fun.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 AM   #125
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I work and go to school full time, leaving very little time for doing a lot of different things, but since I am being productive most of the time, I prefer to read for entertainment. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. When I went camping for the first time a month back, where did I learn how to start a camp fire? Stephen King. I've learned a lot of things just reading for fun.
Well, beats learning it from Lord of the Flies I guess... (beat up some nearsighted kid, steal his glasses, focus the sunlight into a pinpoint)
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 02:48 AM   #126
lovestoreadalot
Connoisseur
lovestoreadalot began at the beginning.

Device: none

Last edited by lovestoreadalot; 09-12-2010 at 06:35 PM.
lovestoreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:57 AM   #127
lovestoreadalot
Connoisseur
lovestoreadalot began at the beginning.

Device: none

Last edited by lovestoreadalot; 09-12-2010 at 06:34 PM.
lovestoreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 AM   #128
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoreadalot View Post
Who's James Baldwin?
Can't say that I've come across him, but perhaps this chap?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Baldwin_(writer)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #129
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Well, beats learning it from Lord of the Flies I guess... (beat up some nearsighted kid, steal his glasses, focus the sunlight into a pinpoint)
I suggest beating up a *far*sighted kid if that's your goal
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #130
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post

Probably make a better story that way.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:46 AM   #131
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Or you could do a Larson and beat up a farsided kid.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #132
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can't say that I've come across him, but perhaps this chap?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Baldwin_(writer)
Harry! I'm a bit surprised.
We are of roughly the same generation and to not even know of Baldwin's writings is almost a sin! I guess you could be forgiven as you are not an American who lived through the turbulent 50's, 60's and 70's and the racial problems that plagued America.

Baldwin was an outspoken author of novels, plays, and short stories dealing with racial issues, one of the major authors bringing to light the problems faced by black people in the US, as well as the various common problems faced by all people but through the eyes of a black character. Excellent stuff, quite enlightening at the time, and well worth looking in to.

If you're interested, I'd recommend;
"Another Country"
"Go Tell It on the Mountain"
"Tell Me How Long the Train's Been Gone"

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 09-22-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:09 AM   #133
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Hey everyone... this is a really interesting discussion. Let's stay positive with everything. Wrt PKFFW's original comment, I thought it was a good one and I appreciated what was shared. Even the most dedicated pursuit of life's goals will (usually) leave some time for much needed recreation, and that fits with reading as well.

Seems to me that books are a lot like other activities in life - we choose them for a purpose.
I think you are making an assumption here that is not true for all people and I do not think it is true for nearly all either. And that is that people have a purpose and that people mostly make informed decisions in pursuit of this purpose.

Of course it is true in a trivial way if you consider to read interesting or entertaining books as a purpose. But I assume it was not that kind of purpose you were talking about.

Last edited by tompe; 09-22-2009 at 07:56 AM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #134
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Of course it is true in a trivial way if you consider to read interesting or entertaining books as a purpose. But I assume it was not that kind of purpose you were talking about.
Actually, I agree with you. I probably didn't explain myself very well before, but I am saying that entertainment is a legit purpose for reading a book. (As in "a purpose for reading the book", not "a life purpose that the book is meant to support".)

When I choose a spy thriller, it's not because I feel like I'll learn something. I might learn something by accident if the author has exotic locations I get to "experience", or describes spy gadgets that I didn't know about, or has interesting situations that make you think about life and human nature or whatever. But with that style of fiction, you rarely know what's true and what's made up or exaggerated for the story.

So, bottom line, my entire purpose for choosing that kind of book is pure entertainment, and I think that's a valid purpose. In fact, when I have insomnia, it's also a nice way to read myself to sleep. (Of course, that can backfire as well, because if it's a real page turner, I won't put it down until I can't hold my eyes open anymore!)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #135
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoreadalot View Post
You have not read it yet still say it isn't that great of a story?
How can a story of a vampire who falls in love with a human girl yet has to control his urge to kill her NOT a great story.
Not everyone likes love stories.
Not everyone likes vampires.
Not everyone likes vampire love stories.

If you don't like those things, you won't like Twilight. Forbidden love is one of the oldest stories there is, and Stephenie Meyer's take on it isn't entirely original. In many ways, Twilight is like the Da Vinci Code. It's very successful and extremely popular, but most professional writers don't consider it very well-written.

However, it is a book that connects with one group of people on a very deep level, and those people (Twilight fans) love it. There's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes all a book needs to become someone's favorite is that it be the "right" book at the time, not necessarily the "best" book they've read.

Not everyone is going to like Twilight, nor should they. Personally, I don't think it's going to go down as great literature, but really it's too early to tell. One of the keys to great literature is that it's timeless - and it takes time to realize that. At a minimum it takes a generation, and Twilight hasn't been in print long enough. If Twilight speaks as strongly to the children of its current readers when they are in their teens, it may become a classic. If other books hold their attention, then Twilight probably won't become a classic.

Personally, the thing I like best about Twilight is that it's made a generation passionate about reading; and that's a good thing.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote