Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #31
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
My PRS505 had no issue about bleaching under the sun. I sold it. Now I bought this PRS300, and the text dissappears under the sun.

I vote for FAULTY SCREEN because I am well aware that my prs505 did not misbehave like this under direct sunlight. And I do read outside a lot.
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:09 AM   #32
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I tried reading in sunlight today. The text became slightly fainter but thankfully it didn't become so bad that it wasn't readable anymore.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #33
okalyddude
Enthusiast
okalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enoughokalyddude will become famous soon enough

Device: E600
interesting. Is there a way to tell easily if your screen is a defective, produced by LG screen?

I have a prs 600 - what models would this apply to?

It's not very sunny this time of year where I am, so I'm not sure I can test it that way too easily. Plus, I don't really have anything to compare it to...

I DO get annoying glare sometimes, from direct and bright artificial light.. and I'm still trying to decide if I am annoyed enough or not to trade models (love the dictionary, expandable memory, size, etc) But again, I have nothing to compare it to. I'm sure even non-touch models have SOME glare in direct artificial light, right?
okalyddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #34
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by okalyddude View Post
interesting. Is there a way to tell easily if your screen is a defective, produced by LG screen?
You can tell by the E-Ink panel model number, visible on the sticker attached to the flat flex connector from the screen to mainboard. ED060Sxx is PVI, LB060Sxx is LG-Philips.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #35
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To do this, you'd have to open up the reader?
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #36
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, but it's very simple on the 300 and 600. Just remove the two screws and slide the back cover off.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #37
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Might that void the warranty?
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #38
igorsk
Wizard

Strictly speaking probably yes... however, I haven't noticed any seals so it's unlikely they'll be able to detect signs of tampering as long as you're careful. BTW, the screws fit Philips screwdriver #0 or #00.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #39
xtine
Addict

Will be opening mine up later just as soon as I find a screwdriver that fits
Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #40
xtine
Addict

Update: I tried to open my reader by removing the two screws. I had a hard time trying to just slide the back cover off as there were plastic clips holding the cover in place so thought I'd try to pry it off gently with a small flat screwdriver. BAD IDEA. My reader is now badly scuffed/dented in two places (where the clips are) so I didn't continue trying to open it.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:28 AM   #41
igorsk
Wizard

I'm sorry about that It's probably cold comfort to you now, but here's the service manual to PRS-300 that shows how to open it:
http://www.soloebook.com/manuales/PRS300.pdf
Old 11-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #42
xtine
Addict

@igorsk It was my fault entirely. I shouldn't have tried to force it open when it seemed I couldn't just slide the rear panel off easily.

Looking at the diagram in the PDF though, it seems I probably wouldn't have been able to remove it anyway. Maybe I would have needed to remove the plastic "ornamental strip assembly"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2009-11-19 at 9.13.59 PM.png
Views:	267
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	39545  
Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #43
igorsk
Wizard

With PRS-600 I have done it several times with only the two screws. I thought PRS-300 uses the same technique but apparently it's pretty different if you go by the numerical order on the diagram. Sorry for the bad advice :/
Old 11-19-2009, 07:46 PM   #44
xtine
Addict

Don't worry about it So did you get the good screen, or the defective screen?

My own screen has very slight fading when reading in sunlight. I think I should be contented with that and assume I got the PVI screen
Old 11-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #45
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I've been experimenting with this as I have it as well.

This issue appears to happen if the bright sunlight is there AS YOU ARE CHANGING THE PAGE. Nothing seems to happen as a page is displaying in any other circumstances. So the problem can be worked around by covering the reader screen (or turning the reader upside down) when turning the page, and then reading as normal.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote