Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #61
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
And don't forget the tickle factor. Sometimes a device speaks to you (well, it speaks to me). I have been so happy with my Nexus/Google cell phone that I wanted to have that same kind of experience on a tablet. Google does their signature devices right. That does not always mean that they will have the best features a few months down the road, but when they are released, they are pretty darn good.

My experience with the Nexus S phone has been so good, that I simply skipped out on the next two Nexus cellular devices.

I am not suggesting that anyone ever buy a piece of kit that doesn't satisfy them at the time they take the plunge, of course. I am saying that if a device meets your needs, is in your price range, and you have that tickle, why not go for it?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #62
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
You could use Blue Tooth to transfer files.
It works better if your other devices support BlueTooth:

Phone, yes.
Camera, no.
Computer, no.
DSi, no.
Ereader, no.
Advert
Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #63
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The thing about storage is no matter how much you have you will fill it up.

The only exception I've found is my kindle 3. It still has plenty of space. But that's because the thing can't really do anything except ebooks, which don't take very much space. I could just load my entire library on there to use up all the space, but organization will be a nightmare so there's no point in doing it.

My 16gb iPad isn't so bad with space. I stream all my movies and music. Even so, my comics and just the apps chew up plenty.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #64
red walker
red walker began at the beginning.

Device: nokia e-6
i agree this is the real problem to many stupid consumers who dont realize they are empowering the corporations from whom they buy devices. i have not bought an ipad ipod iphone because i dont want my data held hostage to their pathetic agenda. oh and usb on the go does not work with a usb memory stick on the nexus 7. so hans is right dont buy this device along with any other device that tries to control how we use are own data.
i dont want to be on a itunes leash or have to use another computer to add or remove data. i dont want to have to store my data in a cloud. i dont want to have to pay to store data or depend on anyone else or some corporations to store my data. i want to do it.
red walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #65
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by red walker View Post
i agree this is the real problem to many stupid consumers who dont realize they are empowering the corporations from whom they buy devices. i have not bought an ipad ipod iphone because i dont want my data held hostage to their pathetic agenda. oh and usb on the go does not work with a usb memory stick on the nexus 7. so hans is right dont buy this device along with any other device that tries to control how we use are own data.
i dont want to be on a itunes leash or have to use another computer to add or remove data. i dont want to have to store my data in a cloud. i dont want to have to pay to store data or depend on anyone else or some corporations to store my data. i want to do it.
I don't think not having and SD card is restricting your usage, you can even put pirated movies onto it. The Android market has a Torrent app.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #66
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I voted No, because I haven't used up all the space on my tablet, since I just use it for comics and PDF reading. But in reality, I'd never buy the Nexus tablet because it's only 7". I need 10" for PDFs.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #67
richrock
Sony Reader Fanatic
richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have a Nokia Lumia 800 with 16gb storage. Added a few apps, took a few photos, got three subs to podcasts, put about ten albums on it. No ebooks. Space remaining - <2gb.

I chose my ereader (PRS 505) because it has both SD and MS slots - I can have plenty of space (currently into a 2gb SD card atm).

For me, some form of expanding memory is vital - I could have a SDHC card with movies, one for photo backup, extra tunes, etc.

It seems that with more memory in portable devices in general means developers are getting sloppy with code and just increasing the base size of installed apps. An app a few years back would take up mere hundreds of kb, now it's probably in the mb range.

My only other thought would be if the Nexus could seamlessly connect to my Google Drive space, then that would be fine. I could send files up, drag others down. Cool!
richrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #68
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use the Google drive app on my Vox and it works fine, so having it work on the Nexus 7 seems to be a certainty. And then there is Calibre server for books .
Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #69
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
I don't think not having and SD card is restricting your usage, you can even put pirated movies onto it. The Android market has a Torrent app.
Actually, lack of a MicroSD card slot really does restrict peoples' usage: a LOT of people, especially in North America, have data caps. And not everyone has ultra-fast wi-fi (for example, it takes about 35 minutes for 1GB to download on my 5mbit connection), so populating their device for offline use becomes a major pain.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #70
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I guess I am odd. I want all of my collections on my home computer (and backed up). I switch out what I want on other devices all the time. Then again, I only keep 40 or so books on my eInk device at one time, too.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #71
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
No sd is just the excuse I need not to buy a tablet I don't really need anyway. I'm sure I would've pre-ordered otherwise.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #72
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Actually, lack of a MicroSD card slot really does restrict peoples' usage: a LOT of people, especially in North America, have data caps. And not everyone has ultra-fast wi-fi (for example, it takes about 35 minutes for 1GB to download on my 5mbit connection), so populating their device for offline use becomes a major pain.
My internet is even slower, 512kbps, it would take a couple hours to download a gig.

I know that not having an SD card port does limit you, but it still doesn't restrict WHAT you put on it. If the new version of Android didn't let you download anything (like IOS) then I would call it restriction.

I think it could have been cut out to save cost, remember that if you buy it from the Play Store you are paying cost.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #73
taming
Trying for calm & polite

This is not the first or last device that will not have an SD slot, or for which we will wonder how much on-device storage space we should go for. I've been looking at some odd little alternatives.

Seagate's Go Flex Satellite Wireless drive holds 500 GB and can wirelessly stream (no external WiFi access needed) to up to three devices at once. You load the drive up ahead of time and take it with you. http://www.seagate.com/external-hard...lex-satellite/

Kingston also has a line of similar (but smaller capacity) drives that do the same thing. http://www.kingston.com/en/usb/wireless#wid

This sort of thing might make sense for folks who don't need the extra storage most of the time but would like to be able to kick back someplace without WiFi access and watch video or listen to a lot of music.

It also might make sense for people with multiple devices that are finding themselves spending extra bucks on storage for all of them.

Last edited by taming; 06-30-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I know that not having an SD card port does limit you, but it still doesn't restrict WHAT you put on it. If the new version of Android didn't let you download anything (like IOS) then I would call it restriction.
Can you elaborate on that? iOS certainly lets you download things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #75
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
My internet is even slower, 512kbps, it would take a couple hours to download a gig.

I think it could have been cut out to save cost, remember that if you buy it from the Play Store you are paying cost.
A restriction in quantity is as important to some as a restriction in selection. Attempting a semantic shell game in an attempt to point out that a restriction in memory is not the same as a restriction in app selection does zip to dispreove that the restriction in storage space limits the usefulness of a device in comparison to a device with available expansion.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote