Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #91
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I find this true of a lot of companies, not just Sony. My husband & I are in the dental laboratory industry & whenever something is not working with a product, the companies first line is,"No one else has reported this problem." The next is let's go over the steps of what you are doing....blah blah blah." Never mind we have been doing this work for 40 years & do know what we are doing. Or the fact we have used said product for years & all of a sudden something is not working....

Amazon is one of the few companies that seem willing to exchange without arguments. At least that is what I have read.
Sounds JUST like my ISP. We get more outages than I think we should, but every darn time, they try to lay it on my computer, our phone lines, anything they can. Only it always turns out to be them, in the end, when they finally actually check.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #92
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
First crash on hubby's happened tonight. I'd been playing on it changing fonts in one of my own epubs and it went. I was flipping around kind of rapidly, so it might be more of a user thing.
That's what I've noticed through playing around with it. When you try to get the unit to do too many things at once, it crashes. Touching this is like clicking things with your mouse. If you try to click through too many things on your computer it becomes unresponsive. It's trying to do what you've been clicking on it to do.

eReaders aren't sophisticated machinery. They're old technology and can't do what laptops and tablets can do. When you give it too many things to do by touching it all over the place, it's going to crash.

Take it slow. Let the system process your selection one at a time & it should be fine.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #93
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Mine shows version 1.0.00.09010

I've had the 'touch freeze' a few times, and the standard Android 'Reader has stopped' message. While simply reading. If I use the buttons then I don't have the issue at all.

This looks like the normal Android flakiness and I'm sure it can be, hopefully will be, cured with the application of a patch from Sony at some point in the not to distant future.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:49 AM   #94
zippy
zippy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Seems to me that if the buttons are still working then the first thing to check is for any obstructions of the IR sensors around the edge of the screen.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #95
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
shipped off my flaky prst1 to Sony yesterday.....received a $20 RZ BB coupon in the mail today so giving it another go, ordered one local. Hate to give up completely on the reader, especially if there's any future hope of hacking it later on. Picking it up this afternoon, we'll see how it goes. I'll just know in the future never to order from SonyStyle direct and choose a closer store that has easier return policies.

Just realized i didn't include the stylus in my package i sent back...another reason to hate that the prs-t1 doesn't have a stylus holder like other models.

Last edited by krighton; 10-16-2011 at 03:55 PM.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #96
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Here in the netherlands Sony provides them too since wednesday
I ordered 2 readers, they have the same firmware, and both have the same bug as you described, no responsive screen.
So we can speak of a structural problem.
In Dutch fora, there are already 9 people.

It's not the book, when I noted the page where it happens, and I open the same book in the other reader,nothing happens.
When I reboot, and read the same page again,nothing happens.
For me there is no need to send a replacement, with two readers doing the same, from separate batches with serial numbers widely different, I know that replace them, has no use.
But worst, sony Netherlands says they don't know of any problem.
So I send them these pages, and now they escalate them to another support level.
So it is not only you, the readers in The Netherlands are allso "infected"
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #97
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
So it is not only you, the readers in The Netherlands are allso "infected"
Not mine..... So far..........
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #98
mikedemunck
mikedemunck began at the beginning.

Device: Sone PRS-T1
I got my reader 2 days ago and have the same page flipping / touch screen unresponsive problem. Happened twice in yesterday... Too bad. Both Sony and bol.com (netherlands) told me to send the reader back and get a replacement, but this looks like a software issue to me...
mikedemunck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #99
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have opened a topic on the Dutch (Netherlands) Sony form and they say they will escalate it to Sony Tech.
https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/m.../700799#137236
I have 2 units and both have the same problem, so I don't go for the replacement, I send them back and wait for Sony to update this.
I don't believe in an error in the device, I think all the Sony's have it, and it's just waiting for popping up, and after 14 days I have no right to send it back again.
I allso pointed sony to this forum but as usual the never had any complain.
In another Dutch forum it's the same, people are mad against Sony but only 1 called them and put a reply on the Dutch Sony forum,so it's simple for Sony to say, we never heard about it.
Just Jelling and don't telling maybe gives a better feeling, but does not solve the problem.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #100
pe1dnn
Enthusiast
pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Today I can join the users with the "paging/freeze" bug. I had days without problems until I just woke it up from standby. The unit started paging back by itself and after pressing Home it showed the home page and no response any more.

So now have a dilemma. Send it back to the shop or trust Sony to provide a solution. Classical problem, my mind says "send back immediately" but my feeling says "keep it" because it is still a very nice reader. If only Sony would admit the problem and promise to fix it, but so far I have not seen that and that doesn't do the trust in Sony any good.

I still have a few days to decide but if there is no response from Sony in the next few days I think I will have to send it back.
pe1dnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #101
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1dnn View Post
Today I can join the users with the "paging/freeze" bug. I had days without problems until I just woke it up from standby. The unit started paging back by itself and after pressing Home it showed the home page and no response any more.

So now have a dilemma. Send it back to the shop or trust Sony to provide a solution. Classical problem, my mind says "send back immediately" but my feeling says "keep it" because it is still a very nice reader. If only Sony would admit the problem and promise to fix it, but so far I have not seen that and that doesn't do the trust in Sony any good.

I still have a few days to decide but if there is no response from Sony in the next few days I think I will have to send it back.
Henk, please report this in the sony forum also :

Maybe Sony reacts more faster if there are a lot of complains.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #102
pe1dnn
Enthusiast
pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pe1dnn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Henk, please report this in the sony forum also :

Maybe Sony reacts more faster if there are a lot of complains.
I already did... "Sony reacts more faster" is really an oxymoron, the only reaction from Sony I've seen to date is the message to escalate your problem.
pe1dnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #103
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Thats not true Henk, the problems with the 600 touchscreen was fixed bij Sony to, by selling the 650 instead