Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I'm only reading books. Just regular size paperback type books. Mine starts with a freeze. I reset & get it going. Then it has trouble getting into the Sony store. Takes a a couple of tries. Then the freeze again. Finally it started rapidly turning pages & freezing again. I got it to stop by hitting the home page button. But then it froze. So I did a soft reset.

I should not have to do numerous resets within a day or two of getting a new T1. I have not had any trouble with my PRS 350. Of course I could continue to reset when it does this, but I decided to not keep doing it.

Either there is a defective lot of T1s or I'm just unlucky with the T1.
Your issues sound like it might be the device. Your replacement came from the same store so it's possible that they might be part of a batch with a quality issue. I think it's a good idea to try a new one from a different source.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Hmm, sounds like the old OS is more stable than the new Android system. Their switch to Android has (unsurprizingly) brought in new bugs. They need more time (and user bug reports) to get it as stable as the old OS. Sony seems to have a policy against updating firmware, but I hope they change their minds in this case and pass any fixes back to the early adopters.
Unfortunately Sony is not known for updating firmware very often, if ever. I suspect Sony knew they had problems when they stopped deliveries of T1s for several days. I hope they get the problems ironed out, but they really shouldn't have problems with 3rd generation touchscreen readers when they didn't have them with the 1st and 2nd generations. I realize this is a different OS from the older readers, but that begs the question of why the hell they felt the need to change to Android from a perfectly stable and functional OS. That seems like an incredibly stupid business decision.
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #18
walk0080
walk0080 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have the issue where the device skips tons of pages when I am using the touch for page changes. Then touch does not work and I need to either reset the device or put it to sleep for a little while. Upon reset or wake up, the touch works again.

Think I need a new device? I'm going to contact Sony tomorrow.
walk0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #19
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This actually happened to me also today.

Was using the "swipe" to turn pages it started quickly turn pages until you press home button to stop it. Touch screen becomes unresponsive for a minute or two, then if leave it alone it starts working again. During this time, hardware buttons work fine and are very responsive.

This does seem to be related to a "feature" of the T1 in normal behavior, if you swipe and hold, its meant to turn pages quickly like if you hold and press the page turn buttons.

Not sure if it's a hardware issue, to me this seems more like a bug in the firmware is what my instinct is telling me, but I think you're right to contact Sony and see what they say, I'll do the same tomorrow.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
did it again...was swiping when the dictionary showed up and the touch died....guess i'll see if it's possible to disable the dictionary feature. Would be nice to know if it's a hardware or a firmware issue...i would think it would be software/firmware related but of course we'd never get official word from Sony about any design flaws.

Last edited by krighton; 10-10-2011 at 11:22 AM.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #21
walk0080
walk0080 began at the beginning.

I tried another book, a free ePub that was significantly smaller in this case, and I couldn't get the touch screen to freeze on page turns.

I'm hoping it's just this one book that is causing me problems... I am using the hardware buttons with this book now instead the screen while reading.

Hoping the next larger non-free book doesn't cause me this issue. Otherwise I'll just call Sony and try another unit.
walk0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #22
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
I have had this same issue (page flipping and then no touch response but hardware buttons work.) I hadn't thought about the size of the ebook but I am reading an omnibus edition with 3 novels in it. I will keep watching. I also changed the font to Amasis from Original.
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #23
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Crashed...again...touch froze...happened the exact same way, my swipe was a bit too heavy and it opened up the dictionary for a word, killing the touch. is there some way to turn off the dictionary word look up feature?
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #24
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

my guess is your swiping to hard / holding krighton, especially if dictionary is coming up... don't swipe like you would on a touch screen phone, or ipad all you need to is a "flick" almost like you trying to get a piece of dust off the device.

When it happened the second time for me, I noticed I swiped "off" the edge of the bezel, so that might be causing some problems on software. When it started changing pages quickly, I just swiped in opposite direction and stopped it, and I avoided the freeze this time.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #25
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
I bought mine last night and it froze on me twice due to crazy page turns. I turned the unit all the way off and back on immediately and no more problems.

I do agree, Krighton, that you may be using too heavy of a swipe that causes the dictionary to keep popping up.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #26
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
If you press & hold too long it will turn pages quickly. I know that & it is possible that is what is happening to Krighton. That is different. A slight flick or swipe will still do it on my readers. And it doesn't matter the book. But then it does it when using the dictionary & I have also had trouble getting into the Sony Reader Store. Mine has had multiple issues.

I'm hoping one directly form Sony will solve the problems. Both of mine worked fine the first few hours I read. But after a couple of hours it would start acting up. Once it started he problems would escalate.

I also noticed the screen is more sensitive to touch than my 350. For the first time for me, a gnat landing on it turned the page.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #27
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Another thing about a swipe on the IR devices is that the sensor is actually a thin layer above the surface of the screen itself. So you need to actually lift your finger far enough away to get out of the sensor's area.

Nice catch on that log. I don't use the touch swipe often, but I tend to have habits from the 650, so I haven't done anything like that in ages.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #28
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

another cause could be swiping too near to the bottom edge.

i realise that a lot of times, when i accidentally tap the bottom, it brings up the page scroll menu which lets you use a slider to move along pages at a faster rate.

perhaps accidentally swiping here could (1) activate the scroll menu and (2) scrolling the pages, in one go. the result is you get an unintended multipage scrolling non-stop?
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #29
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
If I remember correctly, when the Nook STR first came out there was a problem with their touchscreen as well. I don't know if it is the same issue, but I think they use the same type of IR for their touchscreens.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #30
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
When swiping try to swipe a blank area like between paragraphs or at the end of a paragraph. It reduces the risk of accidentally highlighting a word.

I had a weird thing happen to me. I swiped, and it moved forward several pages. Then the text in my book was out of order. The page numbers were moving up and down correctly, but the text was off. I exited the book. Then reopened and navigated to the beginning of the chapter and all was normal. Weird. It was an omnibus 1700+ page book.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote