Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
What is wrong with the pdfviewer?

In fact I have two things to ask in this post.

1) I always use adobe viewer because pdfviewer didn't display one of my books (in traditional Chinese characters) properly in the past. I thought adobeviewer was superior to pdfviewer. But today when I tried pdfviewer again in the 2.1.0 firmware, I couldn't get to the second or third portion of an enlarged page. No matter what button I press. It always turned full pages so I could read the first few lines of each page...I knew there was a problem with scroll down in previous new firmwares but on the Russian website this was not listed as something they were working on in the beta version. I thought it was corrected... Isn't it?

2) LoneTech was right that pdfviewer turn texts darker. Unfortunately, it didn't display the only one I wanted to darken the most (the traditional Chinese file attached below)...Could anyone test these two files with pdfviewer on your device? The files are not copy-righted. The editor and maker permits everyone to use it. The same classic Chinese novel Red Chamber Dreams in traditional and simplified characters. You can see in adobe viewer the texts were gray but in pdfviewer the fonts in the traditional Chinese characters were changed (distorted "artistically"). I suspect the result will be the same on other devices. But why? The novel is the one I read again and again, preferably in traditional characters, so it will help a lot if I can read it in pdfviewer with darker texts.

Again, these are not copy-righted. The 3.13F (second) is in traditional characters that are distorted in pdfviewer but not adobeviewer. Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RED CHAMBER v3.13.pdf (5.15 MB, 9108 views)
File Type: pdf RED CHAMBER v3.13F.pdf (4.18 MB, 1312 views)

Last edited by jshzh; 05-29-2011 at 02:59 PM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Is a bug in the pdfviewer for version 2.1.0. I load the first file in adobeviewer and is ok, letters are not as dark as pdfviewer.

Also, page turning on this file is slow compared to other english version books and pdf's that I have.

The difference in contrast between adobeviewer and pdfviewer are huge!! pdfviewer are very dark!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
In fact I have two things to ask in this post.

1) I always use adobe viewer because pdfviewer didn't display one of my books (in traditional Chinese characters) properly in the past. I thought adobe viewer was superior. But today when I tried pdfviewer again in the 2.1.0 firmware, I couldn't get to the second or third portion of an enlarged page. No matter what button I press. It always turned full pages so I could read the first few lines of each page...I knew there was a problem with scroll down in previous new firmwares but on the Russian website this was not listed as something they were working on in the beta version. I thought it was corrected... Isn't it?

2) LoneTech was right that pdfviewer turn texts darker. Unfortunately, it didn't display the only one I wanted to darken the most (the traditional Chinese file attached below)...Could anyone test these two files with pdfviewer on your device? The files are not copy-righted. The editor and maker permits everyone to use it. The same classic Chinese novel Red Chamber Dreams in traditional and simplified characters. You can see in adobe viewer the texts were gray but in pdfviewer the fonts in the traditional Chinese characters were changed (distorted "artistically"). I suspect the result will be the same on other devices. But why? The novel is the one I read again and again, preferably in traditional characters, so it will help a lot if I can read it in pdfviewer with darker texts.

Again, these are not copy-righted. The 3.13F is in traditional characters that are distorted in pdfviewer but not adobeviewer. Thank you.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
Is a bug in the pdfviewer for version 2.1.0. I load the first file in adobeviewer and is ok, letters are not as dark as pdfviewer.

Also, page turning on this file is slow compared to other english version books and pdf's that I have.

The difference in contrast between adobeviewer and pdfviewer are huge!! pdfviewer are very dark!!

Thank you very much, skydive. Yes, the difference is huge for text-based pdfs. But for scanned books, which are often pretty dark already, the difference is less and adobeviewer makes strokes more refined therefore more pleasant aesthetically. Page turning slows down maybe because the original text has many colors, fonts, and because of the total number of pages. I was happy and surprised when I first found I could open it on 602 at all a few months ago.

Did you try the second file?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
I just did the second file. Distortion comes from pdfviewer because of the darkest of the fonts. On adobeviewer was more readable. I recommend to use adobeviewer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
Thank you very much, skydive. Yes, the difference is huge for text-based pdfs. But for scanned books, which are often pretty dark already, the difference is less and adobeviewer makes strokes more refined therefore more pleasant aesthetically. Page turning slows down maybe because the original text has many colors, fonts, and because of the total number of pages. I was happy and surprised when I first found I could open it on 602 at all a few months ago.

Did you try the second file?
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydive View Post
I just did the second file. Distortion comes from pdfviewer because of the darkest of the fonts. On adobeviewer was more readable. I recommend to use adobeviewer.
Thank you. Yes, I read with adobeviewer and was not satisfied with the light color. I could change the thickness of stroke in pdf files with Adobe Professional but it could be done page by page. More than one thousand pages are too much manual work.
Advert