Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
jadetang
jadetang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Red face Is there anything I can do for my kindle 3?

The screen stuck at the "Please wait a moment while your kindle starts up" and hard reset doesnt work
I think the ROOTFS is accidentally broken.

Is there anything I can do to save it ?

Last edited by jadetang; 12-25-2010 at 04:38 AM.
jadetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
What did you do before this happened? Sometimes the kindle is just slow. I was stuck on that screen for a whole minute before the framework loaded. However if you touched /etc/init.d or /etc/rcS.d or something else, then you're pretty much out of luck unless you use the recovery port (not for the faint of the heart), because then the kindle isn't even booting, which means you don't get to see recovery options. You can try to plug in the kindle to the computer and see if you get a USB drive. Not sure if that's helpful unless you installed usbnetwork or something, then you can put an emergency startup script.

tl;dr: What did you do?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
jadetang
jadetang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
What did you do before this happened? Sometimes the kindle is just slow. I was stuck on that screen for a whole minute before the framework loaded. However if you touched /etc/init.d or /etc/rcS.d or something else, then you're pretty much out of luck unless you use the recovery port (not for the faint of the heart), because then the kindle isn't even booting, which means you don't get to see recovery options. You can try to plug in the kindle to the computer and see if you get a USB drive. Not sure if that's helpful unless you installed usbnetwork or something, then you can put an emergency startup script.

tl;dr: What did you do?
well, I didn't install any kindle app on my device. That's how I bricked my kindle:
press ENTER when kindle starts, then I enter the developer mode, where there is four or five option( I can't remember clearly). Then I press "U", which is a option about boot or kernel or something like that. Then I restart my kindle, and I get the problem.

ps: you can enter the developer mode too to see I talk about , but NEVER NEVER press the U.
jadetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadetang View Post
well, I didn't install any kindle app on my device. That's how I bricked my kindle:
press ENTER when kindle starts, then I enter the developer mode, where there is four or five option( I can't remember clearly). Then I press "U", which is a option about boot or kernel or something like that. Then I restart my kindle, and I get the problem.

ps: you can enter the developer mode too to see I talk about , but NEVER NEVER press the U.
Hmm, thanks for telling me about that. I had a bricked kindle and I tried to find the recovery menu for months now.

Your problem may be at worst an erased kernel or rootfs. See if you can get into the menu again. Then plug in a usb cable and see if your computer recognizes it. If nothing happens, press E at the recovery menu and plug in the USB. If nothing happens, or you can't get into the recovery menu again, just call amazon up and say your kindle is stuck at the "please wait screen" and see what they can do. If it's a new kindle, they usually can exchange it no questions asked.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote