Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Nook app for Android

I'm wanting to get a cheap color tablet to use for reading magazines. I notice that the Nook magazines can be downloaded either to Nook Color or Nook for Android (tablet). Without getting too technical, can anyone tell me if this tablet will work with the Nook app? Thanks!

Velocity Micro T103 Cruz 7-Inch Android 2.0 Tablet

http://www.amazon.com/Velocity-T103-...pr_product_top
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
hstans
hstans began at the beginning.

Device: Cruz EReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I'm wanting to get a cheap color tablet to use for reading magazines. I notice that the Nook magazines can be downloaded either to Nook Color or Nook for Android (tablet). Without getting too technical, can anyone tell me if this tablet will work with the Nook app? Thanks!

Velocity Micro T103 Cruz 7-Inch Android 2.0 Tablet

http://www.amazon.com/Velocity-T103-...pr_product_top
Hi, I bought the same tablet/reader, and really enjoy it, but as of yet, have not had any luck tracking down a version of nook that works with Android 2.0. I have had great sucess with both the Boarders app (came preinstalled on the tablet) and the Kindle app, but unfortunately I won't be able to view any of my nook books already purchased from the tablet. If I come across an app that works, I'll be sure to pass it along.
hstans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, that's disappointing. I have a Kindle and a Nook for reading books so don't want to spend the money on Nook Color but I'd like something to read magazines on. Amazon doesn't have as good of a selection as B&N, believe it or not!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #4
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Give the pandigital novel 7 white a look see. It does nook and is, from what I hear, a better machine than the cruz though they are very similar in size etc.

We have three in the family and they are working fine. It has a nook app but have not used it. You might snoop slatedroid.com and do a search for nook and see what you fnd.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
PG4003
Addict

Thanks, that one does look neat. You say you were able to download the Nook app on it? From what I'm reading after checking around, people have not been able to get the Nook app on the Cruz.
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Hi Patricia,

I have bought a myriad of ereaders but find myself using my Coby 7024 almost exclusively. It comes with Aldiko 2.0 pre-loaded which reads epubs and all the DRM'd epubs including Sony, Borders, B&N and others. I added the Nook and Kindle readers as well as Cool Reader and FBReader. I can read anything that they throw at me.

The Coby is a resistive screen as opposed to a capacitive screen but I like it better for reading (I had a Cruz). Tablets are more versatile therefore more difficult to set up but well worth it. Here is a link to the Coby:

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-MID7024-4.../dp/B004RCUUT8

Coby also makes the Coby 8024, an eight inch tablet, that you might want to consider.

Regards - John

Last edited by Jabby; 06-12-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
PG4003
Addict

Jabby, thanks for the info. The one main question I have is, can you download magazines from B&N on it? If you have the Nook app, would you mind to try that and let me know? All of the magazines come with a 14-day free trial so it won't cost you anything. B&N is the only place that has any decent magazine subscriptions, and under "devices" it used to only say Nook Color but now it also says Nook for Android. So now the magazines can be downloaded either to Nook Color or to a tablet with Nook for Android, does that make sense? But several of the lower-priced tablets seem to have a problem with the Nook app and that's really the only reason I want to get one!

Thank you so much, I appreciate your help so much.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you have the Nook app, would you mind to try that and let me know?
I bought a magazine from B&N but it never showed up on my Coby (Nook version 2.0 or 2.5). I called B&N "customer service" and after much falderal they 'lowed as how they didn't think Nook for Android supported magazines. However, there was no problem with Nook for PC.

I thought I'd give Amazon a try but they had my Coby and PC grayed out so they wouldn't let me try to download to either my Coby or my PC.

One thing I did decided after looking this stuff over was that I would probably buy an eight inch tablet with a 4:3 aspect ratio to read magazines. If anybody ever supports magazines, that is.

Regards - John

P.S. For what it's worth: It seemed to me that Amazon had a larger magazine selection than B&N and that Amazon single issue prices were lower.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
PG4003
Addict

John, thanks so much for all your trouble. That's weird that B&N customer support said they didn't think Nook for Android supports magazines. Here's the text taken right from their website -

Delivered:
Monthly
About buying NOOKmagazines

Enjoy both subscriptions and single issues of eNewspapers and eMagazines!
SUBSCRIPTIONSClick "Subscribe Now" to start your subscription to this publication. As issues are released, they'll be available online in the My eBooks Library section of your account, NOOK and free NOOK app. Your default credit card will be charged monthly. If you're a first time subscriber to this publication, you'll receive a FREE 14 day trial. You may cancel anytime during your free trial by clicking on "Manage Subscriptions" in your Account or My eBooks Library, and you will not be charged. You are eligible for only one free trial per publication. After the trial period, your default credit card will be charged monthly for this subscription.
Format:
NOOK Magazine (eMagazine)
.Read exclusively on these devices & apps
NOOKcolor
Nook for Android (Tablet)

Maybe there's an app that's called Nook for Android, instead of just the regular Nook app? I don't know, I'm pretty green about this, I don't even have an iPhone!

Amazon does have a lot of magazine subscriptions available, but they don't have what I'm interested in. I want Redbook and Good Housekeeping and I didn't see them on Amazon.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
That's weird that B&N customer support said they didn't think Nook for Android supports magazines. Here's the text taken right from their website -

Delivered:
Monthly
About buying NOOKmagazines

Enjoy both subscriptions and single issues of eNewspapers and eMagazines!
SUBSCRIPTIONSClick "Subscribe Now" to start your subscription to this publication. As issues are released, they'll be available online in the My eBooks Library section of your account, NOOK and free NOOK app. Your default credit card will be charged monthly. If you're a first time subscriber to this publication, you'll receive a FREE 14 day trial. You may cancel anytime during your free trial by clicking on "Manage Subscriptions" in your Account or My eBooks Library, and you will not be charged. You are eligible for only one free trial per publication. After the trial period, your default credit card will be charged monthly for this subscription.
Format:
NOOK Magazine (eMagazine)
.Read exclusively on these devices & apps
NOOKcolor
Nook for Android (Tablet)
Hi Patricia,
Weird is a exactly the right word to describe B&N - in every thing they do!

But there is one good bit of news. I decided to see if Aldiko would read the B&N magazine that I bought. Now this is weird!

Since I already use Aldiko to read books purchased from B&N I thought I'd give the magazine a try. Aldiko has no trouble reading the magazine that I downloaded to my PC and then side loaded to the Coby. BTW, Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine was the one I bought since I have been thinking about subscribing anyway. All the links to the stories and other features worked like a champ.

A big plus is that Aldiko comes pre-loaded on the Cobys. I am going to try to side load the magazine to the nook book folder and see if it will recognize it, 'tho I don't know why. The Aldiko reader is FAR superior to the nook reader.

If you are still considering a tablet you might want to include the eight inch Coby.

Regards - John
Old 06-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
PG4003
Addict

John, I can't tell you how much help you've been and I appreciate it so much. I had never heard of Aldiko, but if that comes preloaded on the Coby and it works with B&N magazines, then I've only got one thing to say, Yippee! I had looked at the 8" one, you mean like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-MID8024-4...7905423&sr=8-4

The 8" is $185 plus I'd have to pay shipping. The 7" is $165 and I'd get free 2 day shipping because it's eligible for Prime. Do you think I should go for the 8" one?
Old 06-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
The 8" is $185 plus I'd have to pay shipping. The 7" is $165 and I'd get free 2 day shipping because it's eligible for Prime. Do you think I should go for the 8" one?
I decided to get a subscription to the Ellery Queen Magazine since the Alfred Hitchcock worked out, and it works with Aldiko as well. So you did me a big favor - thanks!

The 7024 works well for me and I am very happy with it. The 8024 was just a suggestion but I think you would be just as happy with the 7024.

If you go with a tablet you will be looking at a pretty steep learning curve. So, don't get discouraged, the rewards will be worth the effort. There are a lot of folks on this forum that are knowledgeable and are willing to share their experience.

Regards -John
Old 06-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
PG4003
Addict

Oh I know all about the knowledgeable people here, John. This is my go-to place when I have any questions like this and I've never been disappointed. A few weeks ago I was just getting into audio books and people here helped me a lot with that. I ended up buying a little Sansa Clip+ and love it. Set it up in my sewing room with a set of cheap speakers and now I can sew and listen to a book at the same time. Love it!

I'm thinking I'll probably go ahead and order the 7" Coby. For the money, I don't think the 8" would be that much better. Like I said, I only want to use this for magazines and some children's picture books, so the 7" should work just fine.

And again, thank you so much for all your help. I'll probably be back with more questions after I get it. BTW, why do you say there's a steep learning curve? Because it's not Windows based? You mean I'm not going to see the little Explorer icon???
Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #14
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Quote:
BTW, why do you say there's a steep learning curve? Because it's not Windows based? You mean I'm not going to see the little Explorer icon???
I guess I say this because I have to stop and think what I want to do with Android. I've been using Windows since it was first introduced so I don't have to think - just do. The truth is I have become bone lazy (the worst kind) since I retired.

Anyway, give me a shout if I can be of any help. I can handle he basics.

Regards - John
Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
PG4003
Addict

John, I received my Coby today, having fun playing around with it. But of course I have some questions. I downloaded Nook for Android, then I went to B&N and subscribed to a magazine. But when I try to download it, it says "not compatible with this device" which I guess means my computer. I can't figure out how to get it to the Coby. I thought maybe I need to shop and purchase from the Coby, but when I go into the Nook app, I can't find any magazines to purchase.

I'm having a terrible time with the touch screen. Keep hitting the wrong things, having trouble getting it to scroll at all, or when it does scroll, it flies by so fast I can't see what's there and if I try to stop it then it opens up whatever I'm touching. This is why I love my Kindle with it's buttons!

I appreciate any insight you can give me about the magazine thing. Thanks!

Tags
coby