Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Won a Nook on ebay this morning!

Well I finally got another ebook reader, won myself a nook on ebay this morning for a grand total of $202.50. It's from a fellow Canadian so no cross border hassles or taxes. This it to replace my Sony PRS-500 which I still really enjoy using, I was just eager to try something new. I will probably let my girlfriend try out the Sony and see if she likes it. Looking forward to getting my new to me Nook.

I definitely want to get a cover for it as I am used to my Sony which had a nice cover included. Any recommendations for a cover for the Nook. I kind of like the look of the Industriell covers on the BN site, likely the regular flip style cover but I also kind of thought the "front cover" style was kinda cool. Then again the normal flip was only $5 more. Any thoughts? or other recommendations?

Lastly, is "rooting" as easy as it sounds? I really want to try some of the apps but at the same time don't want to brick my nook. :-)

Thanks,

Kevin
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
You need a micro-SD or micro-SDHC card in order to root your nook. I personally had no problems with getting it to work, but there have been others who had problems, but I think they were all eventually able to resolve them.

My take on the nook is that the standard ebook reader app is OK, but the library app needs to be scrapped. The B&N library app is marginal for navigating B&N purchased content, and abysmal for navigating sideloaded content. It's clearly not designed for someone with hundreds (or thousands) of books and wants to keep them all on the nook. Since my ratio of sideloaded content to B&N content is at least 50-1, if I couldn't root my nook, I probably wouldn't have bought it.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Yep. I bought mine when I heard about rooting as well. The replacement(s) for the Library are pretty good and getting better.

I don't understand the cover thing, myself. I think it would get in my way while reading in bed.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congratulations, Kevin!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:55 AM   #5
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would suggest you play your new Nook with the stock firmware for a week or two, just to realize how it behaves as is. Then after rooting your Nook, you can realize how much it improve your Nook.

Btw, I heard that B&N may release a new firmware upgrade very soon (should be within a few weeks). You may hang around with the stock firmware until the new firmware comes out, before deciding to root your Nook.

For me, rooting Nook was easy to do and so far have had only positive experience.

I ordered my Nook with Tupper Quote green cover which color I love, and Industriell fold cover is on the way.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Congratulations, Kevin!
Thanks!! I was pretty excited to win it! I think I got it relatively cheaply cause the auction ended at an odd time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
I don't understand the cover thing, myself. I think it would get in my way while reading in bed.
Funny you should mention that as I normally despise any kind of case/cover on my other devices(cell phones mainly). I always run my cell phones naked but for some reason I love the having the cover on my Sony. Maybe it reminds more of opening a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
You need a micro-SD or micro-SDHC card in order to root your nook.
Hmmm, will have to add that to my list of things to pick up. At least they are very cheap for 1-2 gig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
I would suggest you play your new Nook with the stock firmware for a week or two, just to realize how it behaves as is. Then after rooting your Nook, you can realize how much it improve your Nook.

Btw, I heard that B&N may release a new firmware upgrade very soon (should be within a few weeks). You may hang around with the stock firmware until the new firmware comes out, before deciding to root your Nook.

For me, rooting Nook was easy to do and so far have had only positive experience.

I ordered my Nook with Tupper Quote green cover which color I love, and Industriell fold cover is on the way.
Thanks for the info bthoven! Much appreciated. I will likely play with the nook for a week or two before I take the plunge and will keep my eye out for firmware updates too and see how that pans out. That said though I really like some of the features the rooted software adds, I like the idea of being able to connect to my Calibre server to get books. I think I will likely go with the industriell cover as I like the way it clips onto the reader, I don't think I will like the straps as much.

Thanks everyone for there responses!!

Kevin
Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
brookietx
brookietx began at the beginning.

Device: Toshiba laptop & Axim X51v
Thanks for the heads up on rooting the Nook. I've been trying to decide which reader to purchase and have fairly well decided on the Nook due to my budget, but also do a lot of side downloading. I've got to do something since my Axim X51v has managed to loose my dearly loved books several times (backed up on laptop) and Nook has online archiving. Now to ensure it's not just for their books! Gah, I can't imagine a lunch without a book!
brookietx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
That is awesome. Congratulations.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookietx View Post
... my Axim X51v has managed to loose my dearly loved books several times (backed up on laptop) and Nook has online archiving.
Only in a sense that the books you purchase from B&N can be re-downloaded for free. nook doesn't archive online any books you put on it if it's from another source.

Kevin, you might also want to send in your PRS-500 for upgrade to Sony (if they're still doing that), so you could read epubs on both of your devices.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
ould
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Kevin, you might also want to send in your PRS-500 for upgrade to Sony (if they're still doing that), so you could read epubs on both of your devices.
Yes I could do that, I am in Canada though and they didn't offer to do the upgrade as the PRS-500 was never officially sold here. Now having said that I could likely call and raise some hell and maybe I could get it done or pay for the shipping as yes it would be easier to manage if both units did EPUB, I will see if the girlfriend likes reading on it first. :-)

Kevin
Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Only in a sense that the books you purchase from B&N can be re-downloaded for free. nook doesn't archive online any books you put on it if it's from another source.
Now why can't Apple let you download content you've already bought from iTunes again? Server and hard drive crashes are not an uncommon occurrence.

A little off topic, I understand. You may now return to your regular thread.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
Schmots
Connoisseur
Schmots began at the beginning.

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Now why can't Apple let you download content you've already bought from iTunes again? Server and hard drive crashes are not an uncommon occurrence.

A little off topic, I understand. You may now return to your regular thread.
For iphone apps they do
Schmots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmots View Post
For iphone apps they do
Should be the default for all purchased content.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #14
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ould View Post

I definitely want to get a cover for it
Check out the M-Edge covers. They have some models with pockets that fit their light. I have their Go Jacket cover and love it.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Check out the M-Edge covers. They have some models with pockets that fit their light. I have their Go Jacket cover and love it.

~eddie
good choice
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote