Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Netflix on your Kindle? New Rumors about Amazon take over of Netflix

I just ran across this tidbit on hackingnetflix.com:
http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2009/1...resurface.html

The blog sort of makes a reference to the idea, not the fact of using the Kindle concept as a platform for pushing video content to Kindle/Kindle-like devices. Not sure what such a marginal idea would mean for the costs to not only Netflix users as there is no way streaming video over the MMB connection will stay free unless Amazon also has their eyes set on buying Sprint (not an unrealistic idea given Sprints precarious position as a cell provider) simply to use the existing infrastructure as a distribution method for content from Amazon. So, there could be something to the idea eventually. I doubt it would be anytime soon but still, an interesting idea for those people who want a more multifunction device.

And lets keep the "I'm never going for that because I just want a reader device" noise to a minimum as we know that already, the idea here is to discuss what such a device could mean the the whole idea of the reader merging with the various media tablets which have all pretty much never delivered on the promises.

And yeah, it has a LONG way to go before it makes sense on a Kindle-like device...but it will happen eventually and you all know it. And I could see the acquisition as on my Roku box we already get Netflix (of course) as well as Amazon Video OnDemand which is way to expensive compared to my Netflix subscription. But Amazon could use Netflix to market sales of DVD's as well as books related to the content you view on Netflix. Seems like a nice match...

The real impediment I would see is distribution to handheld devices of the Netflix content. Unless Amazon bought someone like Sprint, who as I mentioned earlier has been in financial trouble for years now but has a very solid wireless broadband (usually called mobile broadband or MBB). Sprint has been looking for a real partner for a long time but nothing has ever worked. AT&T seems to deliver better MBB speeds as I used them for a long time through a small WISP called Millenicom where you can have true unlimited MBB for about $50 or $60/mo, uncapped. I used both Sprint's network and AT&T's network and found AT&T far faster but I eventually learned the USB EVDO modem supplied has pretty strange issues so the Sprint network might have been as fast my my device was not up to the task.

It would be a very interesting move by Amazon to garner both the ebook crowd as well as the folks who enjoy a good movie or TV show when not in the mood to read. I could see Amazon charging like $5 to stream a movie from either NF or Amazon's service to a Kindle-like device which to me seems fair as it would only be casual use for a lot of us...

So have at it but please read the articles first...then WAG...I honestly suspect this rumor is kinda like the Apple Tablet, it's not coming anytime soon if at all...heck it's not even breathing hard yet, if ever.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Amazon already has all the parts for this (except the device itself). They wouldn't need to buy Netflix.

Netflix would likely be a good purchase for Amazon, though.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

hehehe...I agree...the world might end up with Amazon and Google. Ever read the mook Jennifer Government? Kinda erie-funny we might be headed in that direction. That the gawds I will be dust by then but still it seems to fit with things like this idea.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I won't be a Kindle. Amazon might buy Netflix and make some kind of MID, but the Kindle itself is, according to Bezos, for book reading only. In addition, no eInk screen is ever going to be a desirable vehicle for video. It just doesn't have the right characteristics. For video, for now (and the forseeable future), you need a backlit LCD.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #5
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I won't be a Kindle. Amazon might buy Netflix and make some kind of MID, but the Kindle itself is, according to Bezos, for book reading only. In addition, no eInk screen is ever going to be a desirable vehicle for video. It just doesn't have the right characteristics. For video, for now (and the forseeable future), you need a backlit LCD.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
no kidding? really it would not be on a Kindle as it exists today? Really? I never thought to indicate that in the original post...thanks! hehehehe...teasing you because I pointed it out on my OP.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Obviously it couldn't be used with eInk devices, but a media streaming service would make a great deal of sense for Amazon, business-wise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Netflix will only add more better business to Amazon, but as our friend Harry said: "Obviously it couldn't be used with eInk devices". At the other side, they will have much more to improve and to offer.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Amazon VOD already offers downloads through Roku and some Sony Bravia TVs and a few other handheld devices so acquiring Netflix wouldn't be a huge stretch.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Maybe if the Apple Tablet comes out, we'll see amazon put out something similar with wifi and Netflix streaming built in.

Though honestly, I'd think any acquisition of Netflix would just be to expand their market coverage (further their video on demand stuff, and get into disc rentals) and not tied to any new Amazon device.

As a Netflix lover (movies WAY above reading on my hobby list) I have no real qualms with it as long as prices don't increase and the service stays top notch.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Kinda ironic, as Netflix, Zappos, and Amazon have by far the best online delivery services in my experience, and now Amazon has bought Zappos already.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Obviously it couldn't be used with eInk devices, but a media streaming service would make a great deal of sense for Amazon, business-wise.
So much sense, in fact, that they already have one.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Kinda ironic, as Netflix, Zappos, and Amazon have by far the best online delivery services in my experience, and now Amazon has bought Zappos already.
Don't forget that Amazon also owns Audible as well...though it seems to exist as a sister company for legal reasons I am sure. One thing that bugs me about the coalescence of of companies really is harmful in the long run for the consumer. It leads to reduced choice as well as the inability of competition if there is too great a financial advantage of the larger parent brand, as in the Amazon name.

OTOH, I also sense that such assimilation induces developers and business mined sorts to be more innovative, creating new or vastly improved variations on the original theme.

I guess it's a mixed bag and we consumers never know what might happen.

BTW, in Harry's defense, does Amazon UK have VOD? If not he might not be aware of the service on Amazon US. In fact I just peeked and it does not appear that Amazon UK has a VOD service. I am sure that is a result of the licensing complications as well as maybe the whole broadcast rights thing since it's a lot different than here in the US. I am still coming to grips with learning that to own a TV you must buy a license for it. And remember, Harry knows a lot, I mean A LOT, but the dude can't know EVERYTHING, he is getting "up there" ya know so his noggin' might be near full? ...hehehe...sorry Harry could not resist the backhanded complement!! I really am needling ya!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That's one takeover that definitely makes sense. Amazon already have similr infrastructure to netflix - they send items very quickly through the postal service and have a lot of electronic resources (servers, data storage and so on). It would integrate well with existing services.

..and yes I totally forgot Amazon owns Audible hehe. I am suprised the audible brand isn't more prominent across the Amazon website. I love audio books!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
That's one takeover that definitely makes sense. Amazon already have similr infrastructure to netflix - they send items very quickly through the postal service and have a lot of electronic resources (servers, data storage and so on). It would integrate well with existing services.

..and yes I totally forgot Amazon owns Audible hehe. I am suprised the audible brand isn't more prominent across the Amazon website. I love audio books!
Me too...though I now buy CD/DVD audiobooks on eBay rather than Audible then rip them to MP3's...Audible became just too expensive, especially after Amazon bought them and several titles I was wanting became multi-credit titles.

I have an old Creative Nomad Zen Jukebox and replaced the original 30gb drive with a 100gb drive so I have everything on there and then some! hehehehe....oddly I have no music as music has never been a big deal to me. Though I really like the Pandora channel on the Roku box...I setup an Alan Parson's Project channel and the other songs it drags in are all the sort of things I actually like...the kicker is it's free so I am happy, I don't need to buy a USB turntable then spend 100s of hours recording then converting and cleaning up the audio as it's either than or replacing all my vinyl with CD's for a small fortune.

As to the whole Netflix being bought by Amazon, I am on the fence completely because Netflix works and is reasonable. Also it is my complete replacement for cable and the whole reason was I did not want to keep spending $100/mo for cable. The difference means I can afford one added lab test a month, which is a must have thing. I could see Amazon changing something like NF to a far more expensive model for streaming...maybe or maybe not, who knows...

Still part of me would find the combo very, very interesting in creating a full color ebook reader/video player device. It would take a few years to get it right but that also gives something like EPD panel mfg's & controller folks time to improve the tech as well as other competing tech to emerge.

It's all coming no matter what the ostriches out there want to think...readers will evolve into multi-function Swiss-Army Knife type devices...me I am mostly in the more PDA-like camp over a video device, but sometimes ya just gotta change with the times I suppose.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I just ran across this tidbit on hackingnetflix.com...
Y'know, there are reasons why "rumor" is not a synonym for "fact"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin
And lets keep the "I'm never going for that because I just want a reader device" noise to a minimum as we know that already, the idea here is to discuss what such a device could mean the the whole idea of the reader merging with the various media tablets which have all pretty much never delivered on the promises.
The Kindle isn't a "media tablet." Clearly you're not going to use the Kindle, or an eInk-type device, to watch a movie.

I don't see any particular reason why you'd use Whispernet for movies either. The cell service is too slow to transmit movies (streaming or otherwise), there isn't much (if any) need to sync data about movies across devices, and Whispernet isn't made for streaming.

I'm fairly sure one reason why ebook makers can offer unlimited free wireless is because transmitting books uses a paltry amount of bandwidth compared to even a smartphone, enough that the revenues from book purchases are sufficient to cover the cost. Add an "unlimited movies" service, and that gets blown away, and the retailer will need to charge $50 a month or whatever just for the cell service.

So you might see a "Kindle for Tablet" that runs on devices that happen to stream video, but that's going to be pretty much the extent of any sort of "synergy" here. Especially since Amazon started its VOD back in 2006, a Netflix buyout isn't going to change anything in terms of devices.

I.e. I see no particular effects for the ebook business based on any retailer acquiring Netflix, or setting up their own streaming service.

Quote:
And yeah, it has a LONG way to go before it makes sense on a Kindle-like device...but it will happen eventually and you all know it.
Yeah, no. A screen / device that's good for animations is not going to be good for static purposes (reading) for the foreseeable future. And a relatively distraction-free device will always be useful.

I might add that I for one don't particularly care if my reading device has video or a cheese grater attached, as long as incorporating a new function does not detract from its quality as a reading device. That just doesn't seem likely with current technology.

Quote:
readers will evolve into multi-function Swiss-Army Knife type devices...me I am mostly in the more PDA-like camp over a video device, but sometimes ya just gotta change with the times I suppose.
Multi-function devices do not always absorb or eliminate dedicated devices. This is just a presumption largely borne of media hype.

Cameras, DVD players, watches, FM radios, fax machines, game consoles, portable digital audio players and countless other specialized devices persist despite the routine inclusion of their functions into multifunction devices. Dedicated devices offer several various advantages -- e.g. quality, focus, ease of use, portability, robustness, etc -- that keep them useful. In fact, it's somewhat rare for a multifunction device to completely replace a focused device; the only one I can think of offhand is the PDA merging into the smartphone.

This is not a matter of "sticking one's head in the sand," it is merely an awareness that dedicated devices offer advantages that trump the convenience of combining multiple functions into a single object.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote