Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
njess
njess began at the beginning.

Device: none
Replace my prs350 with a Kobo glow?

What are your opinions?

The reasons for me would be
  • The light
  • Page turn speed (Which I presume is a bit faster on the Kobo?)

The reason for not buying the glow is the size of the prs 350.
njess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by njess View Post
What are your opinions?

The reasons for me would be
  • The light
  • Page turn speed (Which I presume is a bit faster on the Kobo?)

The reason for not buying the glow is the size of the prs 350.
If you like the size, Kobo also has the Mini which is a 5" reader same as the 350 for $79.99. No built in light on that one though...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
njess

Yes, I know but I really want the light. That's the main reason for changing.
Do you know if the page turn is faster on Kobo glow? I can't find a comparison.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
On the Kobo threads they do say it is better than on the previous model (the Kobo Touch) but I haven't seen any comparisons with the prs350.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
datalossfs
Ebook Addict
datalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glow
Your Sony has a 800mhz processor vs the 1ghz unit in the glo.

In addition the glo also has the ability of up to 6 page turns before a full redraw.

So yes it's faster, compared to my Kindle Keyboard there is quite a lot of difference in speed.
datalossfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I have not seen the glo, but I have seen the previous kobo models. They are not as well designed as Sonys. They are clunky to use. Slow. But an in-built light would be nice.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I'm going to wait until the next release but when I do I'll probably get a Kobo since I get most of my books from them. Sony may pull something amazing out of their sleeves but I doubt it.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I'd be pretty amazed if the next sony model didn't include an in-built light. But that will be nearly a year away. Sony really dropped the ball this time.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
njess

Maybe it would be better to wait til this one will break before buying a new one...
Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Your 350 as wonderful as it is is at least 2 years old. Anything newer will be faster because processor speeds have increased and the technology has improved. It's just a given but if you like it, why change? Unless you're a brat like me and wants new because it's new & pretty. lol
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If you are happy enough with your PRS350 (although a couple of years old, it's not exactly slow is it), I'd at least wait for a while until they iron out issues with the first batch of lighted readers. Unless you are really desperate for a light that is.

Although in saying that, if size is the issue, the Glo isn't really that much bigger in size & weight, it's a bit smaller than the likes of the T1/2 and the Kindle?

PRS 350: 145 × 104.3 × 8.5 mm, 155 g
Kobo Glo: 157 x 114 x 10 mm, 185 g
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote