Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
Kaetrin
Connoisseur
Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Adobe DE keeps crashing - help please?!!?

Hello, I have the latest version of Adobe DE and a Sony PRS700. In order for Adobe DE to recognise the Sony, I needed to install the Sony software.

Now DE recognises the reader but it keeps crashing.

I have bought ebooks from Books on Board and they are in secure DRM format - I can't open them or send them to the reader unless DE is working.

I get nearly the whole book downloaded and then DE crashes - the only message I get is "Adobe Digital Editions has stopped working".

I don't know what to do - I'm not even sure if there is any connection to the Sony software being loaded and DE crashing or if it was a coincidence.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

(FYI, We run Windows Vista 64 bit).

thank you
Kaetrin
Kaetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
reuben
reuben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iPad
Adobe Digital Editions crashes on a certain page of my EPUB

Hi,

I have an EPUB that tends to crash ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) when I scroll down to a certain page of the ebook.
I've attached the EPUB file with the pages that causes ADE to crash. I hope someone could help me to do a test and could give the workaround for it. I've already checked the EPUB file with epubcheck tool and it reports no error. Please help..

Thanks in advance,
ben
Attached Files
File Type: epub biblicalbuildingblocks.epub (110.0 KB, 347 views)
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaetrin View Post
Hello, I have the latest version of Adobe DE and a Sony PRS700. In order for Adobe DE to recognise the Sony, I needed to install the Sony software.

Now DE recognises the reader but it keeps crashing.

I have bought ebooks from Books on Board and they are in secure DRM format - I can't open them or send them to the reader unless DE is working.

I get nearly the whole book downloaded and then DE crashes - the only message I get is "Adobe Digital Editions has stopped working".

I don't know what to do - I'm not even sure if there is any connection to the Sony software being loaded and DE crashing or if it was a coincidence.

Can anyone suggest a fix?

(FYI, We run Windows Vista 64 bit).

thank you
Kaetrin
Hi, Kaetrin -

I only have a couple of questions that may help you troubleshoot your problem...

NOTE: I don't have a 64-bit system or a Sony reader (anymore - but I still have the software loaded on my Windows XP machine), but I do use ADE regularly.

1. Do you have both software programs open? If so, I'd recommend you close the Sony software. I never used it when I had my e-reader - just used ADE and Calibre. Having the two open may be confusing the download function.

2. Do you have your reader connected when you download? I'd recommend not as ADE is a bit finicky. Sometimes, it's too busy "talking" to the ereader to be very responsive. I've found it's best to have ADE do one thing at a time...

3. Do you have ADE open when you download ebooks? I've found the best way to manage ADE is to first open it. Then, I go off and buy books or download from the library. Sometimes, having the download action open the ADE software puts what I think of as "too much stress" on ADE. Try having it open first, then buy/download.

3a. On a side note, ADE works best (with the four different ereaders I've tried) if you (1) plug in the reader, (2) open ADE and (3) let ADE run for a while (as it indexes all the files on your reader). If you don't let it index, it will freeze on you (or, at least, it does on me).

4. At worst, you may need to uninstall ADE and re-load it. That may help.

Other than that - I've got nothing. ADE is a finicky program and I wish that Adobe had better support for it (or even upgraded it). I guess that's what we get for using a "free" program, eh? The old "get what you paid for" beastie raises its head...

Good luck and sorry I couldn't be more help.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Nice work. For me the example crashes at adobe page 38. It is exactly the point of a new table you are generating. The table is unusual in that the widths of the columns vary as I move down the page. I suspect Adobe does not like the way the columns are formatted. Compare the reading in ADE with the reading in Sigil (you can download sigil from this forum) and then view the code view in Sigil at the point of the crash. I suspect you will see the problem.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
In case you didn't see it. The table you generated is 2 columns wide but in the html td text you have column spans of 3 columns and in some cases 4 columns. You can't span more columns than you have. Things get very confused at that point. Once you fix this the crashes will be gone.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
reuben
reuben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iPad
Hi Dale,

Thank you for pointing out the coding issues here. I'll try to fix the code and recode the messy part and check it again on ADE. Thanks a lot..

ben
reuben is offline   Reply With Quote