Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Now that I can accept. It does appear that Laura was struggling between her own innate desires and what the society of her day expected of her.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The book didn't do much for me.

Coincidentally, the book I'm currently reading (Anno Dracula, Dracula Cha Cha Cha), has a couple of passing references to Carmilla (the character) in it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I liked this story in the sense that I thought the language was quite well done and I did like the idea of the story, a parasite being placed in the midst of a household in this manner.

However, what I suffered from here (as I do with most older classic horror stories) is the lack of immediacy in the writing. I have to work extra hard to place myself in the position of any of the characters which is a shame because in this case I would have found some scenes quite chilling.

This is not the fault of the novella as it's a product of its time. I have similar problems with H G Wells and Henry James, I have to work hard to get the atmosphere intended in the telling.

I can see why people would have issues with the explanation part at the end, but for me it seemed like it wasn't the point of the story. To me, the point was the chilling bedroom scenes, the insidious nature of Carmilla's friendship with Laura. So it doesn't surprise me that this could have been a cautionary tale about lesbianism or something similar.

What is that strange girl doing with your daughter behind closed doors?

Anyway - I liked it, it was a quick read, but I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get the impact I would have liked from it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #19
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Nice creepy little tale, I enjoyed it.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I think that the references to Carmilla's "family" is a way giving what is a rather short localised novella an extended context. It means that Carmilla is only one facet of a problem which is part of the wider world of the book. She dies but there are others. They continue.

Personally, i found the actual horror of the tale lay in the psychological terror combined with a diseased acquiescence created in the mind of Laura. There is also the reference to the fact that a mindset which puts total reliance on "natural" explanations can be disastrous. This is even more powerfully seen in another novelette, "Green Tea". That awful, awful Monkey could be a psychological construct or it could be real. Maybe it's both. The altogether too facile "natural" assurances of Dr Hesselius at the end really fail to convey any certainty. And I don't think they are meant to do so.

BTW, one of the interesting features of the Scholarly Edition is the wealth of material about other literary references to the vampire including complete texts, e.g. Stoker's "Dracula's Guest" which are in an extended appendix.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-29-2012 at 12:15 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #21
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I got the audiobook from the LibriVox. The attraction between Carmilla and Laura came out even more prominently in the audiobook, which was a bit distracting at few places as it made me wonder if I had downloaded the right book . I would not call it horror but a good selection overall.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I got the Audiovox version and the ebook versions, but abandoned the audio version and read the ebook. The audiobook was good, but this one for whatever reason was more enjoyable in my opinion in print.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #23
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Horror is one of the few genre that I can't really get into reading. The only way I could have read it was audiobook. In hindsight, I would have read it, had I started the ebook first.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #24
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
I loved this one, as well. This book was a great read and brings in many parts of the Vampire legend. It builds off of early 19th century tales.
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #25
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I think that the references to Carmilla's "family" is a way giving what is a rather short localised novella an extended context. It means that Carmilla is only one facet of a problem which is part of the wider world of the book. She dies but there are others. They continue.

Personally, i found the actual horror of the tale lay in the psychological terror combined with a diseased acquiescence created in the mind of Laura. There is also the reference to the fact that a mindset which puts total reliance on "natural" explanations can be disastrous.
I agree with you on this.

As for the lebianism... While I agree that Laura seemed quite conflicted - attraction & attention vs social norms - I think Carmilla's advances were strictly a well practiced means to an end. I think that at some point, she found that young, innocent, lonely girls made easy marks. There would be no competition for her attention.

Overall, after a relatively slow and plodding start, this turned into something quite striking. It wasn't the story itself, which was very predictable, but the legend of the vampire given at the end, that I found interesting.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, book club, carmilla, discussion, october