Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #17206
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I finished Georges Simenon's Monsieur Monde Vanishes (La Fuite de Monsieur Monde) It is the first of his non-Maigret books that I have read, and the first Simenon I have read in about 40 years. An excellent read.

Next up - Simenon's Dirty Snow - I expect this to be very noir - radically different from Monsieur Monde Vanishes
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #17207
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Presently reading The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian. I like the fact that the short stories are presented in the order Robert E. Howard wrote them, dropping in at different non-linear points in Conan's life.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #17208
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams) & Thomas Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Clue of the Velvet Mask was a fun read as was Into the Woods.

I just began reading The Ringmaster's Secret (Nancy Drew #31) by Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams) and The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike #1) by Robert Galbraith (Pseudonym), J.K. Rowling.
Yesterday I completed reading The Ringmaster's Secret! I really enjoyed this Nancy Drew mystery.

This morning I finished up my read of The Cuckoo's Calling and I gotta' say that I felt that the story was extremely well thought out and I enjoyed it immensely. It's called Cormoran Strike #1 so I'm also looking forward to the next Cormoran Strike mystery. Three cheers for J.K. Rowling's second adult novel (which I wasn't able to say about her first one).

Next I'll be reading The Scarlet Slipper Mystery (Nancy Drew #32) by Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams) and Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield #3) by Thomas Perry.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #17209
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I will start Winner Take All/Rain Storm on Friday I think.
Another enjoyable read, fast paced and interesting. I am not completely sold with the John Rain character, but it is interesting enough. I wish the Mitch Rapp books were available from my library as e-books, I have been wanting this style of book and JR is ok, but not quite what I want.

I am going to continue with In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington 7) that I started before Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy came in back on the 5th. I may stop in the middle of this one again if one of my other holds from the Library gets in; I am #2 on a couple of the wait lists.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #17210
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Next I'll be reading The Scarlet Slipper Mystery (Nancy Drew #32) by Carolyn Keene (Harriet Stratemeyer Adams) and Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield #3) by Thomas Perry.

Well, do yourself a favour. Don't start Shadow Woman in the evening before heading to bed.

And I admit, all the good stuff I've read here about the The Cuckoo's Calling has me sorely tempted to buy it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #17211
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I received a limited edition signed copy of Railsea by China Miéville in the mail today. it looks like I'm starting this!
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #17212
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopig View Post
I finished "On Reading" and "From a Buick 8" by Stephen King, both amazing books.
Can you be more specific about what way they amazed you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #17213
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSun View Post
I received a limited edition signed copy of Railsea by China Miéville in the mail today. it looks like I'm starting this!
Oooh. Let us know how you go with that.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #17214
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Oooh. Let us know how you go with that.
I'm about a third of the way through thus far; it's really good. Exciting and strange. It seems like more of an experiment in world-building and writing as an art form than story telling in and of itself. (GoodReads users keep describing it as "new Moby Dick" - not that I've ever read the original.)
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #17215
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Fire Season by David Weber, from the August Baen Bundle. The second in his YA Stephanie Harrington/Treecats series.
Which was excellent. I liked it a lot, and I'm looking forward to the third (available in the October bundle, on sale until 15th September)..

Then I found that I had new issues of Analog and Asimovs, so I read Asimov's Science Fiction, September 2013.

A very good issue. I think I liked every story.

And now I'm reading this month's Phoenix Pick freebie, Rogue Queen by L. Sprague de Camp. It's looking very interesting.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #17216
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool give it a try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, do yourself a favour. Don't start Shadow Woman in the evening before heading to bed.

And I admit, all the good stuff I've read here about the The Cuckoo's Calling has me sorely tempted to buy it.
I didn't start Shadow Woman till this morning, finished the first chapter just as I was called into the doctor's office for my appointment. Since I'm now back home and have had my lunch, I'll get back to it. Looking forward to it

Yes, IMHO, you should give The Cuckoo's Calling a try.

Last edited by alansplace; 07-23-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: ...add IMHO
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #17217
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'll probably buy it this week. I'm holding off for a couple of days, since I did a marketing survey thing that pays with an Amazon gift card that I should see this week. But generally, I need to watch what I spend, especially on things that are discretionary, until I get another gig. Right now I'm enjoying vacation, but it needs to end soon.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #17218
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I read Zane by Brenda Jackson. Now I'm finally about to start The Shift Omnibus by Hugh Howey.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #17219
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "Psmith in the City", by P.G. Wodehouse. A direct sequel to the final book in his "school" series, "Mike".

Mike Jackson is dismayed when his father tells him that he can't go to Cambridge University, as planned, because his father has suffered financial setbacks, but must instead go to work in a London bank and start earning his living. His life is made more pleasurable, though, when he arrives there and finds that his old school friend, "Psmith" is also starting work there. This book narrates their adventures in and out of work.

As with all of Wodehouse's books, extremely wity, and still a hugely enjoyable read, even though it was originally published in 1910.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #17220
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I am almost done the last book in the "Rain Wilds quartet" by Robin Hobb. I feel like I'm going to be a bit lost after I leave the realm of the Elderlings.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote