Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #196
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm simply expecting B&N to implement logical functionality. Nothing more or less. Can I get a sort by recent reads within my library? Other devices and apps do this. Again, let's call a spade a spade and stop making excuses for stuff that should be there. B&N are late to the game when it comes to ereaders. They had/have lots of good examples to emulate. They choose not to.
Actually I was only addressing the statement that was said that the nook didn't have a recently read function. All I stated was if you go to the "more" icon on the home page it will pull down you three most recently opened books.

I never commented on how advanced this should be just that there is a recently read or opened function and that shows you the three most recent library and three most recent files.

Last edited by boswd; 06-23-2011 at 05:49 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #197
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
When I use Library/Books/Recent, I see the most-recently-viewed book first in the list, followed by the next-most-recently, etc. Not clear to me where your issue is?
If you download books (including samples) these will appear first. Give it a try. Download a sample and see if it appears first in the Recent list without opening it. It's not sorted by recent reads.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #198
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Oh, no, I wasn't implying that you should. Just making a sarcastic reference to the fact that it most likely will not be addressed.
No offense taken.

I like to think that B&N can improve in the future, though I am not willing to bet on it just yet.

As you note, they are new to the game and have been playing catch up. No time for the little stuff. With the new devices out the door, and eBooks taking in more of the sales (while B&M bookstores are dying all around), perhaps their priorities have shifted and they'll be able to focus on these little but important things. At least that's what SHOULD happen...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #199
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Actually I was only addressing the statement that was said that the nook didn't have a recently read function. All I stated was if you go to the "more" icon on the home page it will pull down you three most recently opened books.

I never commented on how advanced this should be just that there is a recently read or opened function and that shows you the three most recent library and three most recent files.
You blew my comment off as if it's unrealistic and the scenarios aren't plausible to warrant such functionality.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #200
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You blew my comment off as if it's unrealistic and the scenarios aren't plausible to warrant such functionality.
no actually I wasn't, I just think we were talking past each other. I was thinking you were trying to say that the nook should be able to recognize whether you were actually reading the book or just opened by accident. Maybe working off a time alloted scenerio.

I didn't know that you meant "here's my list of books I have open and then organize them to your needs" I really didn't know thatl sorry for any confusion.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #201
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

I didn't know that you meant "here's my list of books I have open and then organize them to your needs" I really didn't know thatl sorry for any confusion.
Darn it. Trying to communicate in this manner certainly has its shortcomings. At least in person I could throw something at you for being thickheaded.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #202
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Darn it. Trying to communicate in this manner certainly has its shortcomings. At least in person I could throw something at you for being thickheaded.
I think I'll stick to behind the keyboard if you don't mind, I get enough stuff thrown at me from my wife.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #203
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
SCION, for me the Nook is much better at the moment because of ePub hyperlink support and having more page display options...
Quote:
I agree.

If I didn't need the sync function to actually work, I wouldn't consider anything else. Many folks have more than one book in their currently reading list and would like to access them on a device and in an app. How feasible is it to jot down the last page read for each book each time you're done reading?
Kobo Touch just got ANOTHER firmware update that adds much more functionality:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140872

Still anxious for a personal hands-on. Guess they should be available here any day now.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #204
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

Still anxious for a personal hands-on. Guess they should be available here any day now.
That's a pretty impressive turnaround for the updates.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #205
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Sorry if this has been asked before but have they released any update that allows the user to choose how often a full screen refresh is done? Or any news on if they will be implementing that soon?

I've heard a fair bit about the ghosting issue and that would just annoy the crud out of me so would like to be able to refresh every page.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #206
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but have they released any update that allows the user to choose how often a full screen refresh is done? Or any news on if they will be implementing that soon?
There has been no announcement of when an update would be coming, or what would be in that update.

The ghosting issue has been overblown in my opinion, under most circumstances you won't notice.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #207
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Just got my STR on Sunday and I really like it a lot so far. In particular, the dictionary lookup is _sweet_ compared to my K3. But there are a couple of things that would really improve the STR experience for me.

1. After a word is selected, add these options to the menu at the bottom of the screen:
1a. "Find". After I've selected a word or phrase, I'd like to be able to find other occurrences of it in the book I'm reading.
1b. "Wikipedia". Depending on what kind of reading I'm doing, I use this feature pretty often on my K3. I know that there's a browser on the STR; what I'm asking for is for it to be integrated with the word/phrase selection feature.

2. In the Find results, show 2 or 3 lines (or better yet, a user-configurable number of lines) instead of just 1 line so that you get a little context in addition to the matching word.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #208
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange! View Post
Just got my STR on Sunday and I really like it a lot so far. In particular, the dictionary lookup is _sweet_ compared to my K3.
Yes, that's one of the biggest improvements over the nook classic as well, I seldom used the dictionary in the classic as it was too cumbersome, but it's a breeze on the touch.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #209
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One issue I have with the nook STR is the font rendering engine. It doesn't work well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:05 AM   #210
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

I am quite jealous. Am I crazy to be thinking of getting a Kobo Touch as well?

Hyperlink support, more fonts, ability to install your own fonts, text selectors that let you reposition both ends, for all I know, multilevel TOC, and crisp text?

Sigh.

Well, but there's still the darn desktop software requirement, can you load B&N ebooks, etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote