Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Linux enviroment

Sorry for a little off topic but is there some program like wine to linux but for windows? So linux enviroment running in a virtual machine on windows.
I'm boring trying to experiment with package on windows only to see that some weird/standar option from linux don't work correctly on windows. And no, I don't have/want a linux installation, I'm happy ( ?) with windows.
Also, I don't like a liveCD
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
There's Cygwin, but you may need to compile the programs.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
VMware player
The equivalent from Oracle but I don't remember it's name.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
VirtualBox.
Or you can use MS's Virtual PC.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
VirtualBox ^

Oh. That'll teach me to be quicker.-)
arjaybe is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to all. I will try with they
Old 05-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
VirtualBox ^
Oh. That'll teach me to be quicker.-)
I know the feeling
Old 05-26-2015, 12:56 AM   #8
AlterusPrime
Enthusiast
AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
There is a thing called CoLinux.
Check it out, that's the closest you can get to how Wine does things.
AlterusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:53 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
Sorry for a little off topic but is there some program like wine to linux but for windows? So linux enviroment running in a virtual machine on windows.
There is VMware player. It is a free version of commercial virtual machine software called VMware.

I personally use Oracle VirtualBox. Another high quality commercial virtual machine.

In the past I have also used Quemu virtual machine - an open source one.

For a quick experiment with Linux you do not have to install linux inside such virtual machine. You simply download a fully configured virtual disk with a chosen Linux distribution already installed (you have to do it this way with VMWare player).

I personally would recommend xfce version of Mint Linux 17 [Rebeca]. xfce is less demanding desktop environment, when compared to Gnome [in Mint found under name Cinnamon] or KDE environment.
Just google up "mint linux image for virtualbox"

With relatively recent processor and enough memory this is least problematic solution - you just play and when you break something you can return to the original image and go again.

If you want to do programming or play with Linux utitities, there are several frameworks that bring various Linux utilities to Windows. The most popular of those is Cygwin.
Cygwin is in some regards similar to Wine under Linux, you just can't run native Linux binaries - you have to have compiled Cygwin version of the Linux program. But, you can run your favorite Linux programs (such as sed, awk, vim, even KDE) alongside windows programs and not inside a virtual machine.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterusPrime View Post
There is a thing called CoLinux.
Check it out, that's the closest you can get to how Wine does things.
But it looks to be as dead as a doorknob.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #11
boriar
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
But it looks to be as dead as a doorknob.
Well, I think I can live with it if it isn't too old. I don't want to make installs, may be later. For now I look for a run&go program. I look at this
Old 05-27-2015, 06:02 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
Well, I think I can live with it if it isn't too old. I don't want to make installs, may be later. For now I look for a run&go program. I look at this
Additionally it owns works with 32 bit versions of Windows; not 64 bit.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm curious what the problem is with a LiveCD? It's undoubtedly the easiest solution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #14
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Not if you wish to interact with Windows programs too.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Not if you wish to interact with Windows programs too.
Perfectly true, of course.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote