Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Screensaver hack to work with 2.5.2?

Anybody created a hack yet to work on the Updated 2.5.2? I know, I know, impatient as ever! Finally have Collections and now would love to get rid of those ugly screensavers. Thanks!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
skolomyjec
~Platypus Catcher~
skolomyjec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i (v2.5.2)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
Anybody created a hack yet to work on the Updated 2.5.2? I know, I know, impatient as ever! Finally have Collections and now would love to get rid of those ugly screensavers. Thanks!

I know!! After over a month of emily's cold soul devouring stare (which in general is a shame they used that portrait since she is one of my favourite poets) staring at me from beyond the curtain of death, I finally have 2.52. The update ROCKS my socks off - LOVE IT - but seriously its time to call the ghost busters on these undead authors <zombies?>.

I really hope some one makes a new Screen saver hack soon, hopefully there isn't anything deep in the guts of the update that will prevent this!

It would be nice if amazon gave us the official ability to do it though, clearly its possible and i don't remember anyones kindles with the previous hack imploding into a universe ending black hole or anything....
skolomyjec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
TonytheBookworm
Addict
TonytheBookworm is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 2, kindle 3, Kindle fire
It would be nice if amazon or even a hacker for that matter could make it to where it pulled the cover from the current book and used it as the screensaver. The nook does that.
TonytheBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Libra H2O
Yeah I'm torn, jump into 252 or wait for the screensaver hack before... I hate dead authors watching me... Reminds me of that song from the 80's
jwilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
bigdtc
bigdtc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
There is a post on the developer corner on this topic; if I translated geek speak correctly to layman's terms, Amazon locked the back door they used to use, so they are looking for a new way in the house.
bigdtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Thanks for translating. I sure don't know what a tarbomb is! Sounds awfully messy though.

I still wonder why Amazon is so adamant about us not using our own images for screensavers.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
mercado79
mercado79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I still wonder why Amazon is so adamant about us not using our own images for screensavers.
My guess is that they're holding on to that space in order to (possibly) sell it as ad space some time in the future. like yahoo's recent "takeover" ads:

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/2010...he-login-page/
mercado79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's NOT a screensaver. The screen doesn't need to be saved. What it is is a waste of battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
jwilker
Connoisseur
jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jwilker once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

How on earth is it a waste of battery?
Old 06-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #10
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilker View Post
How on earth is it a waste of battery?
Methinks he doesn't understand how e-Ink works...
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
jwilker
Connoisseur

Me thinks you're right!

Granted 'screensaver' is a bit of a misnomer, but still.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #12
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
A screensaver is a picture which appears or is put on a screen when it is not used for a while. It no longer means "saving" the screen.
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Ok, semantics aside, lets hope they can get a hack done soon for "the screen that comes on when the kindle goes to sleep".
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
Oh that would be perfect
Um, might depend on the book you are reading....
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #15
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
I guess I should post this here.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...004#post963004

1) Install the "jailbreak". The kindle will say that it failed to update, and this is fine. You only ever have to do this once. This just adds Jean-Yves public key to the kindle so that we can sign our own packages again.
2) Then install/uninstall the screen saver hack as normal.

Last edited by clarknova; 06-16-2010 at 12:03 PM.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote