Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
tucidide19
tucidide19 began at the beginning.

Device: None
How will it handle image-only PDFs?

I realize this might have been asked already but I don't seem to find any relevant information.
In order not to spend hours and hours proofreading my OCR'ed books, I often publish image-only PDFs with underlying text. This way I'm sure to read the real text with the original layout, plus I can benefit from text-search capabilities (without relying too much on it, obviously).
Now, I'd like to ask: how will the DR handle these? As the image files get quite big sometimes, will it take months to render them?
Thanks in advance!
tucidide19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
usually pretty good - if you send me a sample Ill give it a try for you
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
You may have to optimize them to fit the DR1000's resolution as closely as possible for best performance. Since you seem to create them yourself, it could be as easy as setting up the right acrobat export preset.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
You may have to optimize them to fit the DR1000's resolution as closely as possible for best performance. Since you seem to create them yourself, it could be as easy as setting up the right acrobat export preset.
Exactly. Since you're creating the documents anyway, just make sure that they have the right resolution for the DR. That's usually the biggest thing that effects how well the DR will be able to render the pages and how quickly it'll move through the document.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
clothbot
clothbot began at the beginning.

Device: Hipster PDA, PRS-505, DR1000S
It takes a few minutes for the initial load of my 1996-2000 Honda Civic Service Manual (69MB, 2189 scanned-and-OCR'd pages). Search and navigation of the doc is pretty quick after that.
clothbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert