Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the Kindle a device just for Women?
Yes 16 20.25%
No 63 79.75%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is the Kindle for Women?

So sez Seth Godin on his blog:

Quote:
Two months ago, I got a Kindle. It's a fascinating device, unlike almost any other launched by a significant tech company. Here's why:

1. It's for women and women are buying it. The bestseller list of Kindle titles is much less tech-heavy than Amazon's list was in the early days of the web. An Oprah book is #1. And the colors and feel of the machine don't feel like the current uber-geek tech dream device.
Link: Random thoughts about the Kindle
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
hmmm... i know several people who have kindles, and all of them are men - although i do have a female friend planning to get one next month.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
IMHO - It's a crock of bullspit.

Maybe it appears from Amazon's book sales to be a "women's" gadget, but I think that is just because there seems to be more women who read. And therefore, more women buying books. And Amazon seeks to court more sales by offering the types of books with proven good sales histories. The device itself is non-sexual: It's a MACHINE.

DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I have to say, I find Seth Godin's statement bizarre and nonsensical. As typical tech early adopter, I really hate this stereotype that women don't enjoy/use technology. Godin would have been a lot better off, imo, if he'd said the exact same thing except replace 'women' with non-techies.

And I can't take this poll - if I say "yes", it implies that the Kindle is only for women and if I say "no" I'm saying it's not for women - both of which are silly.

Kindle is for *readers*.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've been noticing that most of the new eBooks at some libraries tend to be mostly romance. So yes, I do think they are pushing eBooks towards women.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
And I can't take this poll - if I say "yes", it implies that the Kindle is only for women and if I say "no" I'm saying it's not for women - both of which are silly.
Kindle is for *readers*.
Good point, rixte. The poll should have a third option saying it's suitable for persons of any and all genders.
(At work we have some transgender people, so have had to alter our forms. M or F are no longer sufficient options.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've been noticing that most of the new eBooks at some libraries tend to be mostly romance. So yes, I do think they are pushing eBooks towards women.
But do you think that is because they are pushing eBooks toward women or is it simply because romances contribute the second-largest part of the publishing market in general, behind religious/inspiration books, proving a larger amount to pull from?
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I need a large stick and the directions to this idiots house. Lord, with my two posts this morning, I am moving backwards on the karma scale. Okay, I don't read romances, and I wouldn't buy anything oprah suggested if it came knocking on my door with McDonalds french fries. In looking at the 4 pages of books loaded on my Kindle, with the exception of Janet Evonovich, everything is scifi, horror or mystery, with Lady Chatterley's Lover thrown in for good measure. Does that make me 'masculine'?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixte View Post
I have to say, I find Seth Godin's statement bizarre and nonsensical. As typical tech early adopter, I really hate this stereotype that women don't enjoy/use technology. Godin would have been a lot better off, imo, if he'd said the exact same thing except replace 'women' with non-techies.

Kindle is for *readers*.
Absolutely!! I'm a woman, so I said "yes" ... but I would have picked that option had it been available. It's a BOOK after all. Books are for everyone ... even some people who can't read (maybe especially them) understand the importance of books ... and of the written word generally. The Kindle (for me) is just a nice way of being able to tote around a ton reading for reference and entertainment.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Since we purchased the Kindle I've suddenly had urges to wear pantyhose
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Since we purchased the Kindle I've suddenly had urges to wear pantyhose
definitive proof, if i ever heard any. not only is it *for* women, it will actually turn you into one.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It's mostly men who gather around me asking questions when I have my Kindle out. Two yesterday said they were going to buy one. One for his mother, the other for himself.

If it were designed for me, they would not have chosen white.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm a woman and am a lot more computer-literate than my partner and most of my colleagues.
And none of the men I know have bought a Reader.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Huh? If you look at Amazon's pbook top ten it's pretty much the same as the Kindle's top ten list. Therefore pbooks are for women.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I'm a woman and am a lot more computer-literate than my partner and most of my colleagues.
And none of the men I know have bought a Reader.
Gee, if we are going to answer the poll based on computer literacy, then I'm the only computer literate person in my entire neighborhood. None of the men who live here know the first thing about computers. I have been called on more than once to set up something on their computer, or troubleshoot something on their computer, or repair something on their computer .... none of them have an ebook reader that I know of ... and I would think that I will know when they do, because I'm the one that is going to be called on to set it up.

I know very few men of my generation who have embrassed computers. I'm sure they must be out there ... but I just haven't met many.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote