Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #31
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You know what is even easier for entering text or numeric sequences? A keyboard, even a virtual keyboard. If only someone could have thought of using something like that instead of a "D-pad", for a Go-To function. Well I guess Kobos without D-pads can never have an easy to use Go-To function.

If only.... There must be a way!

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The devices with the D-pad did NOT have touch screens.....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #33
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The devices with the D-pad did NOT have touch screens.....
Right, it is too bad that touchscreen devices can't have a Go-to function; lacking a D-pad and all.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #34
Goner
Connoisseur
Goner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to behold

Device: ARCHOS 80G9, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1, BeBook Club S, Icarus Reader Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
A keyboard, even a virtual keyboard. If only someone could have thought of using something like that instead of a "D-pad",
Both my old Icarus GO and BeBook Club S have that ; an on-screen keyboard where you can 'enter' a page-number using cursor keys (D-pad).
Works better than the slider ...
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #35
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
You know what is even easier for entering text or numeric sequences? A keyboard, even a virtual keyboard. If only someone could have thought of using something like that instead of a "D-pad", for a Go-To function. Well I guess Kobos without D-pads can never have an easy to use Go-To function.

If only.... There must be a way!

Luck;
Ken
The Aura HD does have a go to page number in the shelf/collection menu and it works just fine so I am pretty sure it could be done.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #36
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
Both my old Icarus GO and BeBook Club S have that ; an on-screen keyboard where you can 'enter' a page-number using cursor keys (D-pad).
Works better than the slider ...
Yes, it is too bad that the only choices for the device designers or firmware programmers are D-pads or sliders. If only there were an easy way to enter the numbers into a Go-To function, on the touchscreen devices. But I guess, from the posts here, that the only way you can do a Go-To function is with a D-pad. So we are to believe that a Go-to function on the touchscreen devices would be a bad thing.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-12-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #37
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Yes, it is too bad that the only choices for the device designers or firmware programmers are D-pads or sliders. If only there were an easy way to enter the numbers into a Go-To function, on the touchscreen devices. But I guess, from the posts here, that the only way you can do a Go-To function is with a D-pad. So we are to believe that a Go-to function on the touchscreen devices would be a bad thing.
You obviously don't use your Kobo otherwise you will have seen there is a page go to on the library lists. Obviously it can be done. But, it appears that Kobo have decided on having only two navigation methods at a time: swipe/tap to turn the page and either a slider or the page go to. I don't know why they are doing it this way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #38
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I give up.

If we were to go with Kobo's idea that a slider is better for a touch device, then they needed to do a better job of it. The slider should allow you to be page accurate. They could have a box that displays the page number as you use the slider and page forward and page backward chevrons, then you would be able to poke the box when the number is right. That would also save the battery, as fewer page turns would be involved.

Or they could use a key/number pad popup.

And you are right I do very very seldom bother with Nickel. But I do use my Kobo AuraHD for a number of hours everyday.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-12-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
What I was said that the only Kobos that had goto page number inside a book were the non-touch, D-pad equipped units. Having owned and used those, for me, the slider/ page step/chapter step works better. Heck, I find using search in a book is even better.

Your opinion may differ. You are entitled to that opinion no matter how fine an example of wrongheaded, ill-advised babbling it may be. Kobo has implemented a goto page function for the library but have stayed with the slider/step/chapter step for navigating in books.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I give up.

If we were to go with Kobo's idea that a slider is better for a touch device, then they needed to do a better job of it. The slider should allow you to be page accurate. They could have a box that displays the page number as you use the slider and page forward and page backward chevrons, then you would be able to poke the box when the number is right. That would also save the battery, as fewer page turns would be involved.
Oddly, as I move the slider the page number displayed changes -- opening "A Room With a View" and using the slider, the page number changed from 27 of 231 to 231 of 231 as I moved the slider. Given that the page display does not change until I remove my finger from the slider, the power use is pretty minimal. Also handy was the return to start function since that let me undo the page movement with minimal effort.

Regards,
David
Old 11-13-2013, 04:15 AM   #41
Goner
Connoisseur
Goner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to behold

Device: ARCHOS 80G9, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1, BeBook Club S, Icarus Reader Go
Quote:
If only there were an easy way to enter the numbers into a Go-To function, on the touchscreen devices.
Well, there is an on-screen touch keyboard when using the web browser to enter URLs, so how hard can it be to use a keyboard for entering page numbers ?
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #42
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Oddly, as I move the slider the page number displayed changes -- opening "A Room With a View" and using the slider, the page number changed from 27 of 231 to 231 of 231 as I moved the slider. Given that the page display does not change until I remove my finger from the slider, the power use is pretty minimal. Also handy was the return to start function since that let me undo the page movement with minimal effort.

Regards,
David
OK, so you can go to an exact page, with your slider, as long as it is the first or last page, is that right? Other than those, you can only get to the general neighborhood, by guesstimation as you have no numerical indication, until you remove your finger? Once in the general area you have to turn pages, to get to the page you want, doesn't turning full pages use a lot more power than updating a small defined portion of the screen? Just going by your description.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-13-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #43
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
OK, so you can go to an exact page, with your slider, as long as it is the first or last page, is that right? Other than those, you can only get to the general neighborhood, by guesstimation as you have no numerical indication, until you remove your finger? Once in the general area you have to turn pages, to get to the page you want, doesn't turning full pages use a lot more power than updating a small defined portion of the screen? Just going by your description.

Luck;
Ken
I would prefer to use a touch more electricity and have a stable, reliable slidebar and a goto fuction myself. I use both occasionally on my other readers. I might occasionally rejoice in overcoming a device shortcoming, but generally I prefer that these things work. I am not fond enough of the feels good when it stops part to enjoy getting hit over the head with a hammer

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #44
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Being able to type in a page number would be great.

It would also be cool to do what iOS does for sliders:

The best description of it I can find:
Quote:
the further away from the slider you drag vertically, the smaller the proportion of your horizontal dragging speed that is reflected in the value change of the slider
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sheesh.... try reading what I wrote!

Note the following in the message you responded to:

using the slider, the page number changed from 27 of 231 to 231 of 231 as I moved the slider. Given that the page display does not change until I remove my finger from the slider, the power use is pretty minimal. Also handy was the return to start function since that let me undo the page movement with minimal effort.

Please notice the mention of the page number displayed changing as I moved the slider. The displayed page did not change but the page number did. Since I had started reading the ebook, I was already on synthetic page 27 which is why I started on page 27 of 231.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 11-13-2013 at 06:27 PM.