Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I got over comparing the price of ebooks to any kind of print equivalent a long time ago. It's worth what it's worth to me; plain and simple. The price of an existing (or non-existent, pre-order) paperback book doesn't even factor in my decision (if I have no intention of actually purchasing the paperback, that is) any more.
Agreed. However, I won't pay over $10 for a single book.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
In general, I'd say no. I can think of times that wouldn't be true - a book old enough to be remaindered for a low price, but still selling at the MMPB price in digital might be one of those times.

To some degree, it depends on the potential for pricing as much as the price. Back when there was only paper, I could go to B&N and pay cover price (usually - they rarely put MMPB on sale) or I could chance that the book was included in the more limited selection at a discount store. So I might have chosen to pay more at B&N to have the book in my hands, rather than have to run around trying to find it at a discount somewhere else.

But nowadays overall, if the price is higher for digital than print, I put it on a wait list or look for it at the library.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #18
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I DO take into account the revenues already generated by the hardcover AND paperback versions, the minimal incremental cost of producing the e-book, the lack of shipping and return costs, and the tendency of publishers, with the authors' connivance, to attempt to prevent e-books from wide availability in libraries, AND the fact that it can't be given to other readers OR provide a reduced cost to me by selling it to Half Price Books or other buyer...

So, in reality, my price point is at best, about HALF what a paperback would cost... In general, if it's more than $3.00, I wait, get it at the library, or read it on paper from the library.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #19
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
So, in reality, my price point is at best, about HALF what a paperback would cost... In general, if it's more than $3.00, I wait, get it at the library, or read it on paper from the library.
I'll pay whatever they ask for the e-book, if I want it. I don't much care what it costs in any other format (paper, audiobook, etc.). I want e-books, and only e-books, so if I want it I'll pay what they ask.

I don't shop around between e-book stores, either, I'll just pay whatever price Kobo is asking if they have it in their catalogue (and I want to purchase it, of course). I like the convenience of them all being in the same place, and Kobo providing cloud storage for me. If my device is lost, stolen, or I upgrade to a new one, that all I have do is plug in my email and password and they all download again. Saving a few dollars here or there isn't worth DRM stripping, format conversions, managing my own cloud storage, etc., to me.

More power to those who do it, but my time is worth more to me than that. (It's amazing how as a kid my money was worth far more to me than my time, but now that I'm an employer my time is worth more to me than my money; any time I spend on anything costs me money, as I could have relieved an employee with that time and saved wages. )
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #20
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
If the cost of the e-book is more than the cost of the paperback, I probably would not buy it. It's a matter of principle, there are less costs with the e-book than with the paper book, so I expect it to cost less. I don't expect it to cost a LOT less, I recognize that there are still costs involved. There are just so many other books out there that I can read, if the e-book costs more than the paper book, I can always find something else to read.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #21
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Nope.

If the ebook is more expensive and it's available in "hardcopy" ... that means I should be able to borrow it from the library. I haven't forgotten how to read old-fashioned books.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #22
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by uebyn View Post
Like your POV.

I read somewhere, though, that the cost of programming that goes behind the ebook is considerably high. Maybe that's why it translates into higher costs
The programming required to produce an ebook file is the same as the programming required to set up a book for printing (either on an offset or on a digital printing line). And this work has not to be done twice (for printing and ebook processing): for anything that is available in a standard electronic format, converting into an ebook file does not require much of a programming effort.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #23
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I wouldn't. There is more value in a 'real book' than in a drm-locked e-book (in my personal opinion). I would pay close to a physical book cost if the SELLER sold it pre-de-DRMED.

I get more of a sense of ownership with the physical book because I get total jurisdiction over what happens to it released into my hands.

I often see hardcover books that are cheaper than some e-books. People can justify the costs all they want with fancy wording, but I never will be duped.
Yes ... an ebook purchase buys you only a fairly limited license to personally use a book (you are even not allowed to remove DRM for strictly personal use on multiple devices) whereas you own a physical book once you bought it and can gift or resell it if you want to.
From the perspective of 'ownership' a purchased ebook is thus more or less equivalent to a physical book loaned from a library.
I assume few people would pay more than the purchase price to loan a physical book.

I also don't buy the argument that distribution and production costs for ebooks are not significantly cheaper that for physical books.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #24
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
If I think the ebook is good value, then I'll buy it. If not, I might look for a paper version.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #25
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
If I think the ebook is good value, then I'll buy it. If not, I might look for a paper version.
Seems to me there are costs associated with looking for a cheaper paper version (transportation expenses, the opportunity cost of what you could have done with that time, etc.). Doesn't interest me, especially.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The only time I'd pay more for an ebook than the same edition in paper is if the ebook is released ahead of the paper.
I'll only pay higher than paperback pricing if the ebook is released ahead of *any* print edition. And then it had better be a more or less known quantity: Select eARCs, I'll pay up to US$15 with the understanding I'm paying extra for the early access (say 5-6 months' worth).

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-07-2012 at 05:37 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Most of the time what I do while waiting for a cheaper version is simply read one or more of the myriad of free books that were written by quality authors over a hundred years ago.

I'm a hopeless re-reader, books can't be "favorites" of mine until they are comfort food for the soul.

For me, as I was growing up, I was not accustomed to book costs being so high - they were something I picked up at yard sales, second hand shops and libraries - over 40 years of default simply doesn't change because it's an "ebook". I paid the premium for the gizmo, so I balance it out by filling it with zero calorie reads.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
For me, as I was growing up, I was not accustomed to book costs being so high - they were something I picked up at yard sales, second hand shops and libraries - over 40 years of default simply doesn't change because it's an "ebook".
Exactly!

This does NOT mean that I think all eBooks should be priced at 0.99 or less - I understand that authors and publishers need to make money, or they'll stop creating the books I want to read.

But, just like when I only bought print books, what I "normally" paid for most of the books I already own does influence what I'm willing to pay now.

Like you, I have many favorites (or even just "liked-a-lot's") that I can re-read. I'm just not willing, for most books of any "binding", to pay more than about 5-6 dollars for a fiction book. And if I can get what I want for less than that, then yahoo!, I got it on sale!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #29
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
Having just finished the last Dresden files book and eagerly awaiting the release of Cold Days on amazon, i was just about to pre-order the ebook when i noticed it costs more than the paperback.

I know they can charge what the want but that just smacks of greed.
There is no way i am going to order it now, no matter how much i want to read it.

No way can they justify that. no shipping or materials.

one really pissed of customer......
No, I wouldn't. I personally feel the ebook does not offer more value, due to the inability to sell, or really lend it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #30
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
You know, it's really no different than between hardback and paperback. Are you willing to wait for the price to come down? If so, it's not an issue. The price will eventually drop to paperback or less. It may go on sale. In fact, I benefited by being slow for the last Dresden audiobook. Instead of $14.95 for the audiobook (through my audible account), I ended up getting it for $8.95 on a special weekend deal several months after it was issued. The following weekend, Amazon offered the ebook for $6 (sale lasted about 1/2 day). It's not like I don't have a lot of To-be-read. I've learned to wait a bit longer and get it cheaper.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote