Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Today I did see the nook with Glowlight and to be honest, I was not impressed. I still prefer the light I get from the light cover for my 650. Plus, the light from my 650 does not eat into the devices battery. That is a big plus especially if you don't have all that much power left and no place to charge the reader.
The other side of that is that you're not carrying any additional batteries. No need for spare batteries, or an additional charger if you use rechargeables. The Nook with Glow-Light is actually lighter than the un-lit Nook at 6.95 ounces. The Lighted cover for the T1 is somewhere around 5 ounces without any batteries.

Add the fact that you get glare free even lighting and I think the Glow-Light is the way to go. I got my T1 for under $40 so it was a no brainer, but comparing list prices, I would be hard justified to recommend the T1 when you can get the Nook with GlowLight for only $10 more.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
How much of this is true remains to be seen, but it's definitely coming soon.
Thanks for letting us know that the next eReader from Sony will essentially be the same as the current model.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-20-2012 at 11:13 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #18
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't forget more processor power and better screen refreshing. I wouldn't mind pages turning faster and screens refreshing better.
Oh and I wouldn't spit on color screens too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
I´m interesting in the next features:

- Better contrast.
- Better battery
- Better resolution screen

If the new model don´t incorpore it, they don´t take my money ;-)
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #19
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just finished setting up my T1 after having Kobo Touch for just about a year and a 1st gen. Kobo before that.
I love how fast the T1 is compared to Touch! Having said that, there are a couple of features I'm surprised the T1 doesn't have which the Touch does.

-'read' tag
-shortlist [TBR folder]
[and I realize I could probably make a tweak for both of these, but I'm a little bit 'tech-challenged' so it's really NBD to me
-clock feature available during reading
-cover of book to show when reader is off [reader feels 'naked' without something on it when you start it up]
-somewhere to put the stylus

These are all minor, but so far the only things I 'miss' from the KoboTouch. Other than that so far the T1 is far faster and generally easier to navigate. The collections feature is wonderful! Also, so far, no errors when updating my library. I may even get brave and try the SD card in my T1, which after reading the KT forums, sounded like it would have been more trouble than it was worth, which is why I never tried it.

So far I'm loving my T1.

Last edited by Blue2u; 06-17-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added 1 more to my list :)
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post

-cover of book to show when reader is off [reader feels 'naked' without something on it when you start it up]

I may even get brave and try the SD card in my T1, which after reading the KT forums, sounded like it would have been more trouble than it was worth, which is why I never tried it.

So far I'm loving my T1.
You don't have to completely shut the T1 down. Just push the power button to put it to sleep. Then the cover of the last book you had open will be on the screen until you turn it back on.

You shouldn't have any trouble using an SD card in your Sony.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You don't have to completely shut the T1 down. Just push the power button to put it to sleep. Then the cover of the last book you had open will be on the screen until you turn it back on.

You shouldn't have any trouble using an SD card in your Sony.
I noticed that, but then was concerned with battery life. I guess I could just try it and see how much it uses compared to not.

And yes, once I get some of TBR pile down in my main library I will definitely not be afraid to try the SD card which I've saved with only Kindle freebies [converted to epub of course].
Old 06-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #22
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
The screen saver uses negligible battery power. My understanding is that power is consumed when the screen changes which obviously it wouldn't when in sleep mode.

As for the TBR folder, make a collection of TBR books.

I'm glad you're enjoying your T1.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #23
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The screen saver uses negligible battery power. My understanding is that power is consumed when the screen changes which obviously it wouldn't when in sleep mode.

As for the TBR folder, make a collection of TBR books.

I'm glad you're enjoying your T1.
Excellent idea! I haven't self-created a collections folder on the T1 itself as I've let Calibre do my series collections, so this is great way to try it out!
Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #24
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

[QUOTE=Blue2u;2118766]I noticed that, but then was concerned with battery life. I guess I could just try it and see how much it uses compared to not..............................[/QUOTE

Shop's quite right about best practice with any reader with these batteries - never power off (well, only if you're not going to use it for 2-3 weeks or so.) just put it to sleep .
And let it get to 1-2 bars before recharging - and a wall charger is best, ( a PC can drain the battery rather than charge up if left on overnight, say.) and it can be left on charge overnight ....you can't overcharge them with a mains charger.
Doing this will "educate" the battery - extend the operating efficiency.

A real no-no is running it down completely, that definitely makes 'em poorly.........

I've followed this pattern with all my Sony's, and a Bookeen, and in each case , it has significantly lengthened the time between top-up.

Last edited by carpetmojo; 06-17-2012 at 06:33 PM.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Excellent idea! I haven't self-created a collections folder on the T1 itself as I've let Calibre do my series collections, so this is great way to try it out!
Based on the conversation we had in the other thread you now have calibre set to Automatic management of Collections, so please don't put any effort into creating a TBR Collection manually on the PRST1 -- it will disappear the next time you connect the T1 to calibre!

The way to create a TBR Collection is to maintain the info in the calibre library. There are many ways to do this depending on which calibre columns you've currently set up to create Collections. For instance, if you're using the 'tags' column, just add a tag called TBR to each book you want to be in the list. Next time you connect you'll have a TBR Collection containing every book with the TBR tag which is also on the T1.

Alternatively, you could add a new custom column called 'tbr' (with possible values of TBR or blank) and add the new column (#tbr) to the list of fields you're using to create Collections (in the Sony PRST1 Device Interface plugin)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Based on the conversation we had in the other thread you now have calibre set to Automatic management of Collections, so please don't put any effort into creating a TBR Collection manually on the PRST1 -- it will disappear the next time you connect the T1 to calibre!

The way to create a TBR Collection is to maintain the info in the calibre library. There are many ways to do this depending on which calibre columns you've currently set up to create Collections. For instance, if you're using the 'tags' column, just add a tag called TBR to each book you want to be in the list. Next time you connect you'll have a TBR Collection containing every book with the TBR tag which is also on the T1.

Alternatively, you could add a new custom column called 'tbr' (with possible values of TBR or blank) and add the new column (#tbr) to the list of fields you're using to create Collections (in the Sony PRST1 Device Interface plugin)
I finally got my collections straightened out. In the Device Interface plugin, the default must be authors, tags, series, which resulted in creating over 5000 collections on my Sony. I took out authors and series, leaving only tags, and that brought me down to 129. I have fewer tags than that in Calibre, so I think most of the others were there as a result of loading books via dropbox instead of Calibre. I've cut those down, so I only have 22 collections now. Much easier to manage!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #27
Blue2u
Wizard

[QUOTE=carpetmojo;2118880]
Quote:
I noticed that, but then was concerned with battery life. I guess I could just try it and see how much it uses compared to not..............................[/QUOTE

Shop's quite right about best practice with any reader with these batteries - never power off (well, only if you're not going to use it for 2-3 weeks or so.) just put it to sleep .
And let it get to 1-2 bars before recharging - and a wall charger is best, ( a PC can drain the battery rather than charge up if left on overnight, say.) and it can be left on charge overnight ....you can't overcharge them with a mains charger.
Doing this will "educate" the battery - extend the operating efficiency.

A real no-no is running it down completely, that definitely makes 'em poorly.........

I've followed this pattern with all my Sony's, and a Bookeen, and in each case , it has significantly lengthened the time between top-up.
I didn't know that, about charging on computers, from now on I will use my BB charger and do the wall charge instead. I also didn't know that running it down completely was bad, I thought it actually enhanced the battery life to do so. Well, lesson learned, glad you told me that now when my T1 is new!

Quote:
jackie_w: Based on the conversation we had in the other thread you now have calibre set to Automatic management of Collections, so please don't put any effort into creating a TBR Collection manually on the PRST1 -- it will disappear the next time you connect the T1 to calibre!
Well poo, was all proud of myself because I did 4 separate collections on the T1 itself. Sometimes it doesn't pay to leave the computer and actually read a book!

Quote:

Ok, I will give either of those a shot. I think the easiest would be the tags column for me because I have mine cleared out of all other 'normal' tags and used it only for a quick note I wanted to make on some books [ie MBR author, MBR recommended, etc.] If I'm understanding you correctly and I did use the 'tags' column, I wouldn't have to change anything else in Calibre settings, so I may just do that. I really like not mucking around with technology unless I have to or feel the effort is worth the risk! But once again, thank you so much for the tip!

You all are so very helpful.

Last edited by Blue2u; 06-17-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #28
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Just in case you haven't figured this out yet, you can do it thus:
Settings > System Management > Standby Screen > Type of Image > Cover of Last Read.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Just in case you haven't figured this out yet, you can do it thus:
Settings > System Management > Standby Screen > Type of Image > Cover of Last Read.
Ah, yes, I did do that on initial setup. I was referring to shutting the reader down completely, which I found out courtesy of this thread I shouldn't really do either unless T1 won't be used for a long period of time. The Kobo Touch shows the cover all the time regardless of sleep or off mode. It's just one of those little differences I had noticed. After reading here I will likely be leaving T1 in sleep mode for the most part from now on. But I do appreciate the tip, so thank you.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #30
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Standby turns off IR lights for touch screen and stops looking for touch input. This is small power saving that adds up to big battery saving over time. Turning reader off adds turn off power used to maintain data in RAM again this is small power draw from battery that adds up over time. I only turn off power when not going to read for 4 to 8 hours or days. It takes heavy power draw to load data back onto RAM. Just now mine took 30 seconds loading RAM before able to read and 8 minutes until it stops loading ram.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote