Notices

Old 04-15-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
BCCISProf
Enthusiast
BCCISProf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, Nook
Memory Usage

Two Questions:

1. I noticed that when I delete a book from the reader, not all the space is reclaimed (as shown by the "Available" indicated in the connect software). I imagine that the space is not being completely defragmented. Does anyone know if this is true? And if so, how does one defragment the space on the reader? (Perhaps it periodically does it on its own?)

2. How does one alphabetize the order of the collections as shown in the PC Connect software? I am referring to the names of the Collections not their contents (which can be easily moved).

Thanks
BCCISProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I haven't done collections so I will limit my response to #1 only.

It does free up all the space when you remove a book from the internal storage. Depending upon the type of book you are storing, the Sony Reader will perform some packing (compression) of the file when it is loaded. (LRF files are already compressed.) So even though it may report as a 1.2 Meg RTF file, it may only occupy .9 Meg of internal storage. RTF and TXT files seem to demonstrate this quality while LRF and PDF do not. Files loaded outside the CONNECT software on an SD card or Memory Stick retain their full size.

There are no published defragmentation utilities for the Reader. The only method I can think of is to completely remove all files from the internal memory and start again. Given the speed of the internal memory and the file I/O requirements for most files, even a heavily fragmented memory would not slow the Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
About the only thing I've found that affects the order that Collections are displayed is the order in which they're moved/created on the Reader, which isn't very helpful for what you're wanting, I expect.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
It does free up all the space when you remove a book from the internal storage. Depending upon the type of book you are storing, the Sony Reader will perform some packing (compression) of the file when it is loaded. (LRF files are already compressed.) So even though it may report as a 1.2 Meg RTF file, it may only occupy .9 Meg of internal storage. RTF and TXT files seem to demonstrate this quality while LRF and PDF do not.
Absolutely right. As you say, the Reader compresses files that you load into main memory. TXT and RTF files can be compressed very efficiently - often to a third of their original size. LRF files are already compressed (trying zipping one - you get little or no additional compression).

Very often, loading a 1MB RTF file into main memory will only reduce the available memory by about 300kb, so naturally that 300kb is all that you get back when you delete the file again. If you convert your 1MB RTF file into an LRF file, it will probably end up at about 300kb anyway.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:15 AM   #5
BCCISProf
Enthusiast
BCCISProf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, Nook
Excellent explanation. Thank you.
BCCISProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Malerne133
Malerne133 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-500
Ok people. I am about ready to give up.Bought this thing mostly to replace my eBook 1150 and for the free book offer. Only problems are: (1) can't find where the free books are located or how to call them up and install.. Obviously I don't understand Sonyspeak. The instructions did not help ME. How do I find,download and install these Books on my 2Gig SD chip. (2) You talk about deleting data. I can find no instructions about deleting books etc. I do not want book excerpts and want to delete them and other stuff. How do I go about that? Please respond in plain-english as I am not fluent in gargon either.
Thanks.
Malerne133
Malerne133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Marlerne133: Welcome to MobileRead.

Control of the internal memory of the Reader is through the CONNECT software. (There are other ways, but this is the easiest.) If you have not already done so, load the CONNECT software that came with the Reader. WindowsXP is the best for that as there are no Mac OSX or Linux versions available. Windows Vista support was only recently added in an update.

Once the CONNECT software is installed, follow the instructions and attach the Reader to a USB port on your PC. This should load the Reader USB driver. (I hear a ding every time I connect the Reader to my PC.)

AZt this time you need to register the Reader with Sony. Additionally, you will need to register at the Sony CONNECT store (yes, they use the same name for both the software and the store.) When you register at the store you will get the credit to purchase the new books. When you purchase a book from Sony it is downloaded to your hard disk and you can then load it to either the internal memory or the add-in card (if you have installed one.)

When the main panel of the CONNECT software opens you will see a listing on the left side of the available disk positions and drives along with an entry for the Sony Reader (internal memory) and an add-in card if you have installed one already on your Reader.

If you highlight the Reader on the left panel it will display the contents of the internal memory on the right. Highlighting a book and right clicking on the mouse will display a drop down menu that will contain the option for delete. With this you may delete any books you do not wish to have on the Reader. If you ever decide that you want them again they are also on the original CONNECT software disk.

Hope this helps.

Edit: had right and left mouse clicks reversed

Last edited by RWood; 05-15-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome to MobileRead, Marlerne133. Sounds like you've had a bit of a rough time of it. Fortunately, there are a number of us here who are bilingual in SonySpeak and NormalTalk -- and we've learned a few things about the Reader too (some of the the hard way).

I see that RWood has given you answers to your questions for the present (he's a real nice guy that way), but this is a great place to get answers if you need more, and to find answers that you didn't even know you needed. So hopefully we can help you get through your initial rough patch and into a good place with your Reader.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
Malerne133
Malerne133 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PSR-500
Angry NewbyBlues

Thanks to R Woods He solved one problem for me. Now that I have more space (and added a 2Gig SD Card) I would like to load the FREE books promised in the offer when I bought this thing.
I did connect the software provided. I did follow the instructions for establishing an account and registering. I did try to contact the Book Store but the spinning idiot would not stop, and when it finally did it said the program was not responding (twice) and then that It could not be connected as I had no internect connection. (Iwas on the internet at that time, USB connected etc.). After three days of efforts I am ready to send this thing back, BUT I bought it for the books and after paying that much I WANT THEM.
Is there anyway I can work around the Sony software? Is there a listing of these FREE books I can just import to my SD and forget all about the Book Store. Please help as my free-book period will disapear before I get Sony to accept anything. Thank you. By he way, if I had any stock in Sony I would sell it quick or hire someone who reads and writes "people" english
Malerne133
Malerne133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer

Malerne it is time to call Sony Support. (Don't shudder so, they have been very good to most people including me when I called.) I suggest calling as you are worried about the credit for the books expiring.

The only way to get the free books is through the Sony Connect store as each of the free books will have DRM (Digital Rights Management) that ties that book to your account and any PCs or Readers registered to that account. Some have multiple Readers and one PC while others like me have one reader and two PCs registered. I keep thinking that 6 is the total number of devices on one account.

Some people have reported that they had to install the software several times to get it right and I had some trouble connecting to Sony when I first installed it. (Firewall blocking.)
Old 05-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malerne133
Thanks to R Woods He solved one problem for me. Now that I have more space (and added a 2Gig SD Card) I would like to load the FREE books promised in the offer when I bought this thing.
I did connect the software provided. I did follow the instructions for establishing an account and registering. I did try to contact the Book Store but the spinning idiot would not stop, and when it finally did it said the program was not responding (twice) and then that It could not be connected as I had no internect connection. (Iwas on the internet at that time, USB connected etc.). After three days of efforts I am ready to send this thing back, BUT I bought it for the books and after paying that much I WANT THEM.
Is there anyway I can work around the Sony software? Is there a listing of these FREE books I can just import to my SD and forget all about the Book Store. Please help as my free-book period will disapear before I get Sony to accept anything. Thank you. By he way, if I had any stock in Sony I would sell it quick or hire someone who reads and writes "people" english
Malerne133
Malerne,

I think you might slightly misunderstand the process. It's not specific "free books" that you get, but $50 "credit" to spend in the Connect bookstore on whatever you want.

Provided you've registered your Reader, you have the credit ready and waiting for you in your account on the Connect store. No need to worry about it "expiring".

To be honest, most of us here really aren't that bothered about the Connect Store; there is an almost limitless range of books that you can get absolutely free from web sites like ManyBooks and Project Gutenberg without having to go through the hassle of trying to use the occasionally-not-terribly-wonderful Connect Store.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

I think there is a deadline for using the credit ... but I don't remember off-hand when it was. In any case, calling the Support folks may get it extended ....
Old 05-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK. You can tell how much it bothers me from the fact that I've never taken the trouble to register my Reader - either in the initial December $50 offer, or the more recent April one .

I already have several lifetime's reading lined up, without anything else the Connect Store might give me. I've probably currently read, for example, about 10% - if that - of the stuff I've bought from Baen over the years!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I think there is a deadline for using the credit ... but I don't remember off-hand when it was. In any case, calling the Support folks may get it extended ....
When I go to the Connect store and look at my account, my $50 credit is good until August 2007
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well, that settles that -- thanks, JSWolf.