Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Nitsela
Nitsela began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch
Unhappy Sony Library issues

I'm new to the forum. Just discovered it today as I was trying to find a solution to my problem.

My husband bought me the Sony Reader PRS-600 for Christmas last year, yay!!

I installed it downloaded some books, read them, everything was good. Until recently. I was about to finish a book and wanted to download the next one in the series so plugged in my Reader and waited for the software to load....and kept waiting. The eReader Library software never loaded, so I unplugged and tried again...nothing. I then looked in the task manager and saw that under processes the library was running, huh?!

I ended the process and tried again, same thing. I'm on Vista and the software was working correctly before so I don't understand what is wrong now. I have downloaded the installation from the Sony website and uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Nitsela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I got a PRS300 last year for christmas as well. It's a great reader but the PC organizer software just plain stinks. I have since switched to Calibre (it's Free! Really) You can get it here: http://calibre-ebook.com/

By the way, you don't have to buy books from Sony either. You can get books at Kobo, Smashword, and Baen books just to name 3. (A bunch of others too)

In the meantime, What I would do when the Sony software doesn't seem to launch, try turning off the computer and then back on. And then, instead of letting it launch by plugging in the reader, try launching it by clicking the icon on your screen and then connecting the reader to the PC. When I get this problem this sometimes helps.

I'm discovering the less I have to do with Sony, the happier I am.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Sony's hardware is great. Its software ain't. I'd advise you to avoid the Sony library and use Calibre. That's what I've been doing for the past year or more and I've never hit a single hitch. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I bought the prs 505 and I just threw the software away after a terrible test result. Now I just drag and drop from an explorer window. If you cannot find the correct directory for it or are too lazy to do it go for Calibre (but say bye bye to your folder structure!).

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsela View Post
I was about to finish a book and wanted to download the next one in the series so plugged in my Reader and waited for the software to load....and kept waiting. The eReader Library software never loaded, so I unplugged and tried again...nothing. I then looked in the task manager and saw that under processes the library was running, huh?!

I ended the process and tried again, same thing.
Had the same thing with my Sony Library software. In my case, I actually had to reboot my machine to get the library software to come up - or just wait a very long time. Sometimes I'd give up, go do something else and when I got back to the computer an hour or so later, there was the Sony Library sitting there waiting for me.

There is a recent upgrade to the Sony Library software that makes it work a little bit better - it's still slow but at least it seems to load up every time.

Reboot your machine and then connect your Reader - be prepared to wait as long as it takes for the Library software to come up. Then, click on Help and Check for updates. That should get you the latest and greatest version - at least that's what worked for me.

But like folks here have said, you only need to use the Sony software for buying from the Sony bookstore. I tend to use Calibre to transfer books to the Reader - even those bought at the Sony store. That way you can change the tags and maintain your library on your own computer hard disk.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Nitsela
Nitsela began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 600 Touch
Hi,

Thanks for the replies! I have tried shutting down my computer several times, but I haven't tried just waiting hours for it to come up. I have uninstalled, downloaded the latest version from the sony site, and reinstalling.

I kinda gave up and downloaded Calibre, thought everything was cool and so went to Barnes and Noble and purchased a couple of books; loaded them into Calibre and then copied them to the PRS-600. Well the darn books are protected!!! Did I miss something?

Thanks in advanced for any assistance!!!
Nitsela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unfortunately, B&N uses a different type of DRM to protect their Epubs than what's supported by the Sony readers. You'll have to find a way to strip the protection off those B&N's Epubs to read them on the Sony (or wait a few months to see if Sony will include a firmware update to incorporate B&N's DRM-might still be hard to get the firmware upgrade without the Sony software working though). I know, big headache figuring it all out.

You might want to do a search here or give Sony customer support a call on this. I believe a simple uninstall of the Sony software still leaves behind a few files/folders that you have to manually delete to do a fresh clean install. I know I had to do it with an older version of the Sony software, not sure if it still applies to the new one.

I had a different issue than what you are experiencing but I had to delete those files to get the Sony software to install cleanly and working again.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Unfortunately you picked the one Epub vendor that WON'T work with Sony!

I'm finding Kobo is a pretty good replacement for the Sony bookstore.

Baen pretty much specializes in Science Fiction, but it's books are not copy protected and are available in just about every popular (and not so popular) format on the market.

Smashwords is good for new writers. There's also a new site similar to Smashwords that I've not personally used but it looks interesting called Feedbooks

Inkmesh is a good search engine for free ebooks and price comparisons.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 06-26-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: You can't limit my brilliance to a single point in time.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
I just had to unplug my Sony 900 from my computer, it has been trying to connect for the last hour and half. I am tired of it. I have in, five times of trying to connect to Sony through my computer, had only one successful times.

So, I am going to uninstall Sony, it is not worth the hassle and the worry of damage to my reader with constant unplugging from the computer.

Now, I need to find a good store that I can buy paranormal romances from. The ManyBooks is GREAT for the classicals I enjoy reading.

I have one book that I got from Sony free, and the free excepts that somehow showed up when I downloaded the free book. Now that I am thinking of it, I got those books when I connected to Sony from the wireless they have, I didn't use the computer to connect.

Frustration.

Janette
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote