Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
fructal
fructal began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil: Chapter Breaks - Confusion?

Hello all,
I have Sigil 0.5.3, the current latest version, and I am confused about whether or not I need to manually insert chapter breaks into my Sigil epub document. The Table of Contents all show up fine in the right column in Sigil. The code for each chapter looks like this:

<h1 id="heading_id_20">Chapter 13</h1>

In Sigil's left column under TEXT, I only have one .htm file.
Should there be 50 htm files there for all 50 chapters?
If I do need to insert chapter breaks, exactly where do you put the cursor before you hit insert CHAPTER BREAK.
I have been going back and forth reading all over the place and am still confused.
Thank you.
fructal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you have only one htm file you will cause your epub to fail in some readers. In the reader it will show as having only one page and it may cause a reset when it is accessed.

You don't have to have one for each chapter, more one for every 250k of text for it to work.

However, it can be easier on you as you are editing to put in a chapter break at the end of each chapter. (Don't try at the beginning, you will not end up with the break where you want it.) Sigil works a little faster when you have a bunch of smaller files when you are editing and if you do a search and replace you can confine it to each file, instead of one gigantic file.

For example, if this were the beginning of your next chapter, you would put the cursor at the period above. If you have gigantic chapters like a book I am working on now, you might want to break in the middle of the chapter to keep it from being too big. The reader will display it as one page without skipping a beat.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
There are three options:
Chapters without page breaks
Chapters with page breaks
Chapters in individual files (almost always gives a page break)

You most likely don't have any page breaks at the moment, if you're not using any CSS.

You can have a single file and then using CSS tell the epub reader that you want a page break before every heading. This is fine.

Lastly you can break every chapter into its own file - personally I like this option the best. You dont need to use the CSS, it works on all readers and it makes page turns on some devices faster. It makes editing easier and... it's all round quite nice.

To split the single doc into per-chapter, you will need to place the sigil chapter breaks before each heading tag, then use the 'split at chapter markers' function.

If you wish to do this the easy way - save a copy of your epub and then follow the next parts:
o Really, make a backup.
o Add a stylesheet to your document - it doesn't matter if you leave it empty, it saves you time later if you want to apply a style to the whole document.
o Use the following regex :
Code:
Find : \s(?=<h\d[^<>]*?>)
Replace : <hr class="sigilChapterBreak" />\n
o Go to your first chapter and make sure there's no break before it.
o Edit -> "Split at chapter markers"
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
As mrmikel said you don't have to split up your file - but it might not work well on all readers and its common practice to break up the book into multiple files.

You don't want to insert a chapter break for each chapter. What you want to do is to insert a chapter marker just before every chapter by using Edit->Insert Chapter Marker or ctrl-shift-return. Just put your cursor at the beginning of the chapter name in book view and insert the marker. Once you've inserted the marker everywhere you want it, then use Edit->Split at chapter markers (F6 key). And your book will be split in one go. Make sure you save a backup copy first
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
fructal

MrMikel and Meme, I think you two contradict each other on where to insert the Chapter Breaks. Right?
Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Insert Chapter Break = split an (x)html file into two physical files immediately.
Insert Chapter Marker = mark the place where you intend to physically split the (x)html file at some later time.

If you intend to leave your text in one (x)html file (regardless of how many chapters it has), you don't need to make use of either function. If you intend to split your text up into separate html files, then put your cursor at the point you want to split them (or just before) and do it immediately (chapter break) or mark it for later splitting (insert chapter marker).

Make backups and do a little experimenting. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-12-2012 at 07:29 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
This is the code that 'Insert Sigil Capter Marker' places at the insert point.

Code:
<hr class="sigilChapterBreak" />
I frequently use a REGEX search&replace to place this before the 'Chapter heading' code,
then I press F6 (once on each 'section' I have coded). a Very quick way to make a 'Chapter per file(section) book. A few manual edits for other types of sections and all done.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Code:
<hr class="sigilChapterBreak" />
I frequently use a REGEX search&replace to place this before the 'Chapter heading' code,
then I press F6 (once on each 'section' I have coded). a Very quick way to make a 'Chapter per file(section) book. A few manual edits for other types of sections and all done.
That's one of the first things I do when editing a new book, then immediately rename the files to something more relevant (Chapter01.xhtml, Chapter02.xhtml) rather than the generated Section#####.xhtml filenames
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
The difference is one of workflow. Meme likes to insert chapter markers in the work and then press the button and have it done all at once.

I usually start at the top and work my way down, since I never work with new material. Every time I encounter a chapter, I split it right then, rather than waiting until later.

Both work just fine (except in the beta, that only allows you to do it meme's way in book view). Both give the same result.

Last edited by mrmikel; 07-14-2012 at 06:37 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
Tulpana
Enthusiast
Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I'm just wondering if the original poster is as familiar with HTML as his or her respondents are. Personally? In Book Mode, I just click on the red "CH" icon to insert chapter breaks. Chapter breaks *can* be inserted even if you're a WYSIWIG-GER.
Tulpana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpana View Post
I'm just wondering if the original poster is as familiar with HTML as his or her respondents are. Personally? In Book Mode, I just click on the red "CH" icon to insert chapter breaks. Chapter breaks *can* be inserted even if you're a WYSIWIG-GER.
That Icon is somewhat mis-named for it's most common usage.

It really is: 'File Split' as it will split a file anywhere (at the end of a H, P or Div )

In BV the split marker still functions (No Icon) by pressing Crtl-Shift-Enter
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
msmith65
Enthusiast
msmith65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
After studying this thread, I've come up with a macro that extracts the headings from my toc.ncx file, and repackages them as links with my heading text as the linked text.

Then I paste that list of links in my main text file, as a linked Table of Contents.

Will this pass muster with Amazon, ya think?
msmith65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith65 View Post
Will this pass muster with Amazon, ya think?
It might.
But if I'm being totally honest, I'm not sure how relevant it is to this thread.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
fructal

Thank you all.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
msmith65
Enthusiast
msmith65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It might.
But if I'm being totally honest, I'm not sure how relevant it is to this thread.
oops. wrong tab
msmith65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chapter breaks, confusion, sigil