Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 01:40 AM   #31
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
You have to use modified firmware for the flash to be successful. Try reading through this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65256
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:52 AM   #32
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Here are the text-to-speech options:
-Chinese or English
-Male or Female Voice
-Change of volume
-Change of speed
-Random wacky effects: Eccentric, Wander, Echo, Robot, Chorus, Underwater
-Continuous page turns an option, or read only when you turn the page

All of the above options can be changed on the fly from within a book. I'm not sure what the TTS quality of other eBook readers is, but this seems pretty typical as far as computer-robotic reading goes.
Is there any chance you could record a sample of the TTS?
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #33
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I no longer have use the Chinese firmware. It was pretty much typical computerized reading as far as I can tell... no idea on how it compares to other readers. You could change the rate, tone and voice style.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #34
travolta
travolta began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre ebook reader pro
Your rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
I am really working hard to figure out the version of linux they are running. I want to get a copy of the firmware
From http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq....cePostedPublic and I quote, "... if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL."

I am angry we don't have access to the source code. Linux is under the GPL. Legally we can't do anything about it, only the owner of copyrighted work (Linux and whatever else is on it). grrrrrrrrr
travolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #35
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
I have always assumed that the Libre runs Linux but is there actually proof that it does?
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #36
Kralik
Guru

It does. You can extract the firmware, unsquashfs/unencrypt it and see/change the files.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #37
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
You people are crazy.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #38
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Unhappy Fascinating idea....but....

My poor/tired jetbook rejected the Chinese firmware updates, sadly.

This may be complicated by the fact(s) of this particular JB.
It came with FW 0.33g, which has been upgraded to 0.35a through a very convoluted process and it is NOT a happy JB at all anymore !!!

In sheer desperation to find ANYTHING that works now I searched on -jetbook libre 0.33h- and found:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster9 View Post
ok, here's the update,
I contacted both jetbook tech support and Doc.E tech support(jetbook is Doc.E's North America version). They put in version check in 0.34, the reason is when customer try to upgrade their firmware, many of them happen to choose a wrong one(for other model) and brick their device.
So you can not downgrade from 0.34 to lower version. but you can downgrade from any higher version to 0.34(coz version/model check is enforced in those versions already).

The bottom line is if your device is 0.33, you have one time choice to choose which line of firmware you wanna follow. otherwise you are binded to current firmware line. The only hope is some one come up with a crack release.
So just for yuks tried flashing DOWN to 0.34b - and it tells me it failed and I should use FW 0.31 or higher !!!
Also worthy of note is that now my FW upgrade messages are in both english and some Asian language...
(Tried 0.34c and got the same exact result ?!)

Anybody have any good clues for me here ???
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote