Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Death of the Kno might have been premature

Those who wanted to get to Kno things do not abandon all hope as Intel Capital and Conde Nast are apparently investing in the Kno device, or so it might seem:

Quote:
According to sources close to the situation, Intel Capital and Advance Publications will lead a $30 million investment round in Kno, the high-profile student tablet start-up.
http://atechlawyer.wordpress.com/201...rdware-design/

Interesting, yes?
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Very! I'm waiting in line for one of those! Make that two. Or even three, one for each of the kids and one for me.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

You and me both. I really want a device like the Kno. And I like the idea the original Kno company is focusing on the software as that is the area all ereading devices are seriously lacking. There are just no decent options.

Here is the link to the full news article about the move, I missed it in the original article:
http://kara.allthingsd.com/20110407/...-hardware-biz/

What seems to have happened is Intel actually licensed the device, hardware & design. They are moving forward with the design and would then license the design to OEM partners who want to make devices based on the platform. I really like this idea a lot. Hopefully the price would still remain reasonable at $600-$900 as long as it is robust enough to get the job done.

This might also be a way for publishers to get a mature hardware design allowing them to sell their own branded version with their subscriptions or other content.

And it's about time we had some new interesting happenings in the ereader-slate device market. Nothing so far has been all that compelling.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Well, I'm pretty satisfied with my Notion Ink Adam. Too small, but they don't make 'em any larger (except for the Kno, that is) so far. Kindle and that lot are really far too small for my liking. I would love to have one the size of a Kno, to read large comic book albums in the natural size, not to mention the A4 and larger PDF's I proof read for work at times. Then I could keep the Adam for surfing in bed (I read a bunch of Norwegian newspapers, IT, economy and regular news before I sleep every night - makes me relax, except for when the economy's bad, of course...).
Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
grumpy3b
Banned

I like the idea of the Adam and genuinely hope they get it together now that they have delivered product to the alpha consumer level.

Here is what I see Intel might design.

What I think what Intel will do, based on the original news article, is to finish or refine the existing hardware design. Obviously they will leverage their own processors AND their NVIDIA graphics hardware as well.

It could be they design several versions of the device. A gaming device might not be unreasonable as well as a student and professional device then the customer could then device what two halves they want to buy for their complete device. Heck it could be a whole system with the ability to daisy-chain panels together with no true limit on expandability.

Now how cool would that be?
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
Those who wanted to get to Kno things do not abandon all hope as Intel Capital and Conde Nast are apparently investing in the Kno device, or so it might seem:

http://atechlawyer.wordpress.com/201...rdware-design/

Interesting, yes?
Not really. Intel bought the blueprints but has no intention of making the tablet. They have intentions of taking their blueprints and leasing or selling the design to those who are looking for a tablet design. So now Intel is looking for buyers and Kno will focus on Android and iPad, their former competition.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Not really. Intel bought the blueprints but has no intention of making the tablet. They have intentions of taking their blueprints and leasing or selling the design to those who are looking for a tablet design. So now Intel is looking for buyers and Kno will focus on Android and iPad, their former competition.
so it's not interesting? Otherwise feel free to read the whole thread before jumping to a conclusion, it helps the conversation.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here is what I see Intel might design.

What I think what Intel will do, based on the original news article, is to finish or refine the existing hardware design. Obviously they will leverage their own processors AND their NVIDIA graphics hardware as well.

It could be they design several versions of the device. A gaming device might not be unreasonable as well as a student and professional device then the customer could then device what two halves they want to buy for their complete device. Heck it could be a whole system with the ability to daisy-chain panels together with no true limit on expandability.

Now how cool would that be?
Remember, Intel has no plans to build a tablet, but sell/lease the the hardware design to builders.

As for the daisy chain, it has been suggested to Kno several times to detach the panels and add blue tooth so that they can talk to each other. The dual tablet was too cumbersome IMO. It would force me to do all of my studying while sitting at a desk. That means, my days of curling up on the sofa would be gone. If the tablets could "talk" to one another, one tablet could be propped up, while I hold the other and taken written notes.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Remember, Intel has no plans to build a tablet, but sell/lease the the hardware design to builders.
already mentioned

Quote:
As for the daisy chain, it has been suggested to Kno several times to detach the panels and add blue tooth so that they can talk to each other. The dual tablet was too cumbersome IMO. It would force me to do all of my studying while sitting at a desk. That means, my days of curling up on the sofa would be gone. If the tablets could "talk" to one another, one tablet could be propped up, while I hold the other and taken written notes.
It's a THOUGHT EXPERIMENT of what could be done. I do not think the dual screen would be too cumbersome, then again I've done a push-up once in my life.

And I do not see how the ability to daisy chain the devices would force one to study anywhere. Nobody suggested once connected they could not be disconnected and/or recombined into a configuration needed at the moment.

Try thinking beyond yourself and let the idea flow beyond your needs and wants. The more flexible the design the better for all parties involved.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
so it's not interesting? Otherwise feel free to read the whole thread before jumping to a conclusion, it helps the conversation.
OK, let me read the entire (short) thread......

Do I find it interesting??? Still, no. Now you do me a favor. Type "Kno" in the search bar see how late you are into the news game. Perhaps you will also find references to the many times I've changed my device list while I anticipated Kno's arrival.

Perhaps to you it is interesting, because to you this is news. For me, it isn't news, it's the same ol', same ol'. I've been following Kno for a year and pre-ordered one last year. I have been having this conversation with several people that currently work, and formerly worked for Kno, and and a dozen or so other pre-orders that have been following Kno and wondering why a Kno tablet hasn't arrived on their doorstep.

I knew something was up when they started laying off workers in January, that would be after they called me to tell me that shipment would be delayed twice (Dec 20th, and Jan 12th) than called in late January to tell me that the January 30th ship date would be delayed indefinitely. On February 14th, I got another call. Shipment has been delayed an additional 60 days. Now I am getting the same ol', same ol', which is no longer news, but is what I expected, that I should anticipate a call from Kno sometime today to tell me that my, and all, pre-orders have been cancelled.

So you ask me,"Is this interesting?" I answered, "No." Interesting would be Kno has decided to honor their promise and ship out the orders that they started taking 5 months ago. That would be most shocking and news.

Quote:
It's a THOUGHT EXPERIMENT of what could be done. I do not think the dual screen would be too cumbersome, then again I've done a push-up once in my life.

And I do not see how the ability to daisy chain the devices would force one to study anywhere. Nobody suggested once connected they could not be disconnected and/or recombined into a configuration needed at the moment.

Try thinking beyond yourself and let the idea flow beyond your needs and wants. The more flexible the design the better for all parties involved.
Congratulations, you can do a push-up. If you can do a pull-up as well, I'll be really impressed. BTW, cumbersome does not denote weight, it denotes mass. My down comforter is cumbersome.

I'll try to think beyond myself if you try to think past the year 2002. Daisy chains are old technology, wireless connectivity is current. Daisy chains are for HDDs sitting on your desk, not portable tablets that are meant to be mobile. Where have you been? Technology moved away from wired technology a few years ago. Do you really think daisy chained tablets are the way to go in 2011?

Last edited by SolRaven; 04-11-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Anyone is welcome to debate here. However, please keep MobileRead's guidelines of politness in mind - that everyone is entitled to share his or her opinion politely and to receive the same in response.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
mmmm grumpiness is strong in the force
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
Mastiff
Viking proof reader

If anybody thinks this is going too far I have to say that this is the strictest board of the 20-30 I'm on!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
What surprises me, is that the impression of the OP on the news of the Kno/Intel deal. Bit late to the game with that info, plus given the news (which was released BEFORE this thread started) that Kno was cancelling preorders and wasn't going to produce a tablet anymore, or that Intel would not be producing it either. The OP seems to be under the impression that it will be good news for people who wanted a Kno, when really everything is saying if you wanted a Kno you will be out of luck.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
grumpy3b
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
mmmm grumpiness is strong in the force
hehehe