Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
[...]Remember, it is only one person's opinion, and many of our best writers got heaps of rejections initially. If, after looking at it objectively in a few days, that the book still has promise, then take what you believe is correct from the review and try again. Personally, I wouldn't pay for an assessor - try a literary/publishing agent, and see what they say.
The problem with responses from manuscript submissions to agents and publishers is that, if rejected, you don't get any feedback to say what they feel is wrong. It may have cost a significant amount*, but at least the appraisal shows me the sorts of things that at least one professional actually thought of the work - unflattering maybe, but more useful than the standard "thanks but no thanks" response.

* I don't see the cost as unfair - if you look at the number of hours it must take simply to read the work and then write something useful about it at the end.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
MidnightBlue
écureuil secret
MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The problem with responses from manuscript submissions to agents and publishers is that, if rejected, you don't get any feedback to say what they feel is wrong. It may have cost a significant amount*, but at least the appraisal shows me the sorts of things that at least one professional actually thought of the work - unflattering maybe, but more useful than the standard "thanks but no thanks" response.

* I don't see the cost as unfair - if you look at the number of hours it must take simply to read the work and then write something useful about it at the end.
I don't agree with that. I had several rejections before I found my first publisher and although they did not include an in depth analysis they did say why they were not interested. One suggested that I try another more suitable publisher and that publisher published my first book.
MidnightBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:35 AM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I don't agree with that. I had several rejections before I found my first publisher and although they did not include an in depth analysis they did say why they were not interested. One suggested that I try another more suitable publisher and that publisher published my first book.
So far my rejections appear to have been form responses, where I can't even be confident that they got past the covering letter. From what I've read elsewhere, such uninformative rejections are to be expected, if you've received better I can only be envious.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote