Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Ever sold anything on eBay?

I am planning to sell a few fairly expensive items on eBay. I recently bought The Complete Idiot's Guide to eBay and read it. The author has some opinions that differ from those of friends on another board.

The author suggests that one first conduct a few trial auctions to learn from one's mistakes before offering the expensive items. So yesterday and today I have started a couple of auctions of magazines.

If you have ever sold anything on eBay, what length of time do you think is best for the auction? When is the best time for it to end?

Here are the links to my two auctions. I plan to put up a third tomorrow that may be of interest to jetBook Lite owners. I would appreciate your looking at these two auctions, and giving me any constructive criticism to make them better.

Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALFRED-HITCHCOCK...item1e5b8a5990

http://cgi.ebay.com/CIGAR-AFICIONADO...item1e5b8e4de2
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Your ad looks fine. Although I would be worried about purchasing an expensive item from an ebayer with little or no feedback. You may not get many bites because of this. Do you need to purchase anything?

I have found that anything longer than a week is a waste if its an auction. I would only use longer terms if I had multiples of the item to sell at buy it now price. Most action on auctions usually happens in the last hours.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've bought and sold many items on eBay, and have never had a problem of any kind. I generally run my auctions for a week.

As has been said, many people like to wait until the last minute to bid, so it's a good idea to time the auction to finish in a "popular" time - say early evening, in your local time zone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For some reason both ads state on the upper right that I intend to sell to the US, when in fact I wish to offer the items to the world. Anybody know how to change that?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you create the ad, there's a screen that says what parts of the world you'll sell to. Although you can of course edit the text and say "I'm happy to sell to anywhere", it does mean that, for example, your items won't show up in a search for me on "ebay.co.uk" since the system now thinks they're US only. I don't think you can change that once the auction's started.
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Harry, I didn't click anything when it asked for where in the world I wouldn't ship to. For my next auction I'll say that I won't ship to Africa, and see if it makes any difference.

Are there any places in the world that most eBayers don't ship to?
Old 04-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
For some reason both ads state on the upper right that I intend to sell to the US, when in fact I wish to offer the items to the world. Anybody know how to change that?
Never mind! I figured out how to be listed as "worldwide".

I think the suggestion to practice on a few small auctions was a good idea. I know a lot more than I did 48 hours ago.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
All good advice: run the auction for a week - I usually end mine on Sunday's early evening. But check the forum what the best time for your items is. Always depends who your buyers are.

Make sure that you describe very accurately what you are selling, the conditions of the item and the conditions of sale. Cover your butt - there are some buyers out there who love nothing more than to get a freebie.

If the items are really expensive - would you consider other form of payment? I had some negative experience with buyers (thank god there aren't that many) who received the item and the lodged a claim with eBay & Paypal and got the money back. The items were as described and there was no fault with them (I am too honest to be rich ). The buyer ended up with the item AND the money back. It wasn't much but it taught me a lesson.

As you are a seller with little feedback (something I always check) be very diligent with any queries you receive. Make them public so other prospective buyers can see that you are honest.

Make very clear that the shipping costs have to be paid by buyer (if that's your intention) and that any prospective buyer should contact you before bidding about the costs (if it is outside US). Again - some buyers bail after they found out what the shipping costs are.

Do your research on similar items on eBay and other sites. If you have an expensive item buyers will research what they would have to pay for it elsewhere. Not much point trying to sell something that you can get elsewhere cheaper.

Also: include the costs of eBay and PayPal in the price - it's rather expensive and has to be carried by the seller.

Otherwise: good luck
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks KC. I will be offering out-of-print jazz compact disc box sets which usually go for around $200. I have internet friends who have done this, and they are giving me advice regarding the best days and times to end the auction. They don't all agree! I am willing to sacrifice some money to avoid hassles.

My first auction listed above has a bidder! If no one else bids, I think I will make a profit of 40 cents! What's important I think is getting the positive feedback.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:31 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, positive feedback is THE most important thing you can have on eBay.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Well, now I need your help again.

I've just started a third auction, the purpose of which was to display a number of photos. But instead of getting the photos displayed below the text, which I have seen in other auctions, the photos are all over by the main photo, and you have to click on them to see them.

Please take a look at this, and tell me what you think. I suppose it's not asking too much of a buyer to click on a photo, but I would prefer the photos to be right there where you can't miss them. Does anyone know how to do this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-AA-BATTERY-CAS...item1e5b96e883
Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I sell all the time on ebay if i can not sell it locally to make more money
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:04 AM   #13
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Hope you'll make out a good deal.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Thanks Carlo.

I get the impression from my friends on other boards that eBay has changed, and nobody bids the price up anymore. Everybody waits until the last moment, and then makes his single best offer, and then time runs out before anyone has the chance to make a second bid.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:10 AM   #15
shopintheusa
Enthusiast
shopintheusa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Well, now I need your help again.

I've just started a third auction, the purpose of which was to display a number of photos. But instead of getting the photos displayed below the text, which I have seen in other auctions, the photos are all over by the main photo, and you have to click on them to see them.

Please take a look at this, and tell me what you think. I suppose it's not asking too much of a buyer to click on a photo, but I would prefer the photos to be right there where you can't miss them. Does anyone know how to do this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-AA-BATTERY-CAS...item1e5b96e883
If you copy the picture>>>than revise your item>>>you should be able to paste that picture in your item description.
shopintheusa is offline   Reply With Quote