Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #271
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Some strange: I have a second aura HD.
At start it was 2.8.1 and I used the cobosetup program, then it updated to the 2.8.1.B firmware.
I downgraded to the normal 2.8.1 used the package that was posted here.
I patched the libnickel, placed it in the kobo directory, all went fine.
Did a sync, my books are syncked, my reading stats are not ( hope I can find a way ) but then I did a request to look for an upgrade and... no upgrade found !
So at the start it upgraded the nbormal version of 2.8.1 to 2.8.1.B dated september 2013, but when I downgraded, it stated that the 2.8.1. where I downgraded to, is the most recent version.
So somewhere it get the instruction to upgrade to 2.8.1.B but after the downgrade, it says, this is the most recent version.
So kobo for some reason now instruct the reader to go to the newest version that can't be patched with all the versions,but after that it seems to be okay with the older version,looks to me that kobo doesn't want to be patched, loads the upgrade that prevent all the patches, but later on says it is ok!

So the downgrade works like a charm without factory reset,but kobo also recognise it as the most recent version.
Now I have to figure out how to sync both reading life things... but I still find it rather strange that kobo sends me to an upgrade that isn't a really upgrade at all...
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #272
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Once you are on a version # even if that version is updated (ie 2.8.1 to 2.8.1b) you will not be prompted either via WiFi or Desktop to do the upgrade to the new build.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #273
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Once you are on a version # even if that version is updated (ie 2.8.1 to 2.8.1b) you will not be prompted either via WiFi or Desktop to do the upgrade to the new build.
But will I be when the new software is, by example 2.9.0, or does it been pushed without further notions ?
With other words, can I refuse an upgrade ??
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #274
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
But will I be when the new software is, by example 2.9.0, or does it been pushed without further notions ?
With other words, can I refuse an upgrade ??
Any time it is a new VERSION # it will be installed. As to whether you can refuse I have no darned idea. Kobo have a habit of changing how some of this works. There are always ways to drop the updates after it is downloaded and before it is installed.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #275
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I also wanted to do this. The only solution I could find was to combine the Footer settings from v05/v06 into the v07 kpg.conf file.

Try replacing line 12 in your kpg.conf file with this:
Code:
replace_zlib = 1205FF4, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 110;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 40px;\n\tmax-height: 40px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 50px;\n\tmax-height: 50px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 24px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`
If you need to change the footer depth/font-size on the AuraHD, just tweak the 3 red numbers.

Another note: Once you have re-applied the Patch, before you decide the numbers need to be tweaked again, please see the last paragraph of this post.

Edit: Just for clarification, the above assumes you are Patching fw 2.8.1 not fw 2.6.1
Now i tried this one, for few days, and what i noticed that with this line in, custom added fonts applied only to footer, not to text, like it should. When i patched Aura HD with regular Metazoas patch everything worked like it should. Except the position of the footer.

May be I'm doing something wrong?

Last edited by forster01; 10-12-2013 at 09:49 PM.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #276
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
Now i tried this one, for few days, and what i noticed that with this line in, custom added fonts applied only to footer, not to text, like it should. When i patched Aura HD with regular Metazoas patch everything worked like it should. Except the position of the footer.

May be I'm doing something wrong?
Are you absolutely sure you were reading the exact same epub when you tried both versions of the Patcher settings? Because the problem you describe, i.e. trying to use a custom font and it apparently not working, sounds more likely to be a problem with the internal styling inside a particular epub. Unfortunately it's quite common for an epub's own internal styling to override the Kobo device's font settings thus preventing your custom font being used to display the epub text.

Is this a possibility?

If so, to offer specific advice on how to fix a particular epub requires more info. Is it a Kobo store-bought epub (kepub) or a standard epub? Does the epub contain DRM? Are you familiar with epub internal styling CSS? If not, are you a Calibre user?

Regarding the Patcher footer settings, the posted value is what I use on my own 2 Kobos and I am not seeing the problem you describe. As far as I'm aware, the Patcher has no effect on which font is used to display either the main text or the footer 'page x of y' text (unless you have your Kobo setup as locale Japanese, perhaps???)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #277
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

I tried epub for fonts tester, also and all the books, but result was the same. English settings, not any locale. the font change was applied only to footer not to epub text.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #278
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
I tried epub for fonts tester, also and all the books, but result was the same. English settings, not any locale. the font change was applied only to footer not to epub text.
Sorry, I've no idea. All I can tell you is that it works for me. The only other thing I can suggest is that you try buffaloseven's padding idea posted about a week ago in this thread.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #279
Frisco1
Frisco1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
hello and sorry, my english ist not the best one.
The firmware on my Kobo Touch (N905J...) ist V2.6.2 (update today).
Can i use the Kobo Patcher?
Frisco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #280
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco1 View Post
hello and sorry, my english ist not the best one.
The firmware on my Kobo Touch (N905J...) ist V2.6.2 (update today).
Can i use the Kobo Patcher?
Sorry but not at this time.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #281
forster01
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Sorry, I've no idea. All I can tell you is that it works for me. The only other thing I can suggest is that you try buffaloseven's padding idea posted about a week ago in this thread.
I gave it another try. and it worked. Finally

i dont know what went wrong, and i wont bother. thanx mate!
Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #282
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm using the font size and line spacing patches with firmware 2.8.1b, they work nicely with epubs, but there are some problems with kepubs if the lineheight is set too low.

Has anyone worked out the minimum lineheight that works consistently for kepubs? 1.175 seems to be OK for the ones I've tried so far, but 1.15 causes problems.

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-18-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: minor clarification
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #283
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
This is an update to an earlier post. Thanks the TShering's work, I've added the custom reading footer modification.

If anyone is interested in testing this on an Aura, have fun. I've tested it on an Aura HD running 2.9.0 and it seems to work fine.
Thanks David, works great on the new Aura with 2.9.0
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #284
plutarion
plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: different
Hello.

I used the patcher on my kobo mini with Firmware 2.8.1.
I am escpecially interested in removing the upper and lower margins, and better left and right margins.

Unfortunately, after applying the patch the left margin is always bigger than the right one - the text block is not centered.

Could you help me, how to edit the kpg.conf file to get the text centered?
plutarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #285
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yes 2.9.0 working fine on my new 6" Aura thanks ! been waiting for an update to run on my new Aura, Just one thing though, With the footer patch the Aura's Bezel is partly obscuring the page number at the bottom, It needs to be moved up 1 or maybe 2 mm.
Thanks
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote