Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
mreclass
Enthusiast
mreclass began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Text Does Not Fill Kobo Screen

I searched through the forums using advanced search to find the answer to this issue of mine but to no avail.

I purchased Half the Sky yesterday from borders.com and downloaded it in the epub format. I use Calibre for managing my library and transferring my ebooks to my device, however I was only able to open the downloaded file with ADE. From there I synced it to my device.

The problem: on every page (except for chapter pages, it seems) the text is completely centered in the middle of the screen. There is a large amount of space on both the left and right sides of the screen. Does anyone know how to adjust the book so that the text it connected to both the left and right sides of the screen?

Thanks for any help offered.
mreclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Sounds like you should reiterate through Calibre. I'd simply remove
css file first and then make empty run to convert epub -> epub. Or,
if you want to do it manually, change css file by the hand. The option
you are looking for is named "text-align". I bet is is set to "center".
Try "justify". Or "left".
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I have encountered this so many times I just automatically convert everything from epub to epub in calibre. I don't need to remove the css first, just using the margin size in page setup works for me. you will have to remove the drm first though.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
mreclass
Enthusiast

Thanks for both of your suggestions.

I just ended up dealing with it as I got into the book which was quite eye-opening.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Many of us are hoping the forthcoming kobo update will be able to fix brain-dead EPUB margins like this. (Fingers crossed...)
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Many of us are hoping the forthcoming kobo update will be able to fix brain-dead EPUB margins like this. (Fingers crossed...)
We're also hoping for peace on earth but we're not holding our breath.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
mreclass
Enthusiast

I hope so too!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
The forthcoming update could be forever... at least they updated the iphone software, very helpful.

Where's the sarcasm button?
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Why ADE doesn't support this on all ereaders is beyond me. I have NEVER bought an epub which I have not had to de-drm and reformat so it is readable. The most memorable was one epub which had ok margains at original size (unreadable) and increase on font size and suddenly the margins were huge giving around 4-6 words per line.

That was part of the reason I went for a Kindle second time round, I have not had one ebook I have had to de-drm and reformat (no doubt there will be the odd one, but given a 100% rate for epubs and so far 0% for Amazon in needing to reformat.....)
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Odd, I have not felt like I needed to reformat anything purchased through a reputable dealer after the updates to the reader firmware. I did get one really wonky ePUB, but it wasn't a margin problem and it wasn't anything that stripping the drm fixed either. The seller refunded my money. Could I have figured out how to make it usable--probably, but I was just too busy to spend the time to do it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
mreclass
Enthusiast

Where did the two of you purchase your ebooks?

I have only purchased mine from Kobobooks.com.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I've purchased mainly from Kobobooks (about 40) , but also from Smashwords and Sony.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I also mainly buy from kobobooks... but have also discovered read without paper and bought one thing from ebooks.com
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreclass View Post
Where did the two of you purchase your ebooks?

I have only purchased mine from Kobobooks.com.
Kobobooks, Borders.com.au and readwithoutpaper.com. Each have required reformatting. It would be nice to either (a) properly formatted ebooks, or (b) have ADE allow me to when reading adjust margins etc.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #15
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Kobobooks, Borders.com.au and readwithoutpaper.com. Each have required reformatting. It would be nice to either (a) properly formatted ebooks, or (b) have ADE allow me to when reading adjust margins etc.
Plenty of others there as well.

fictionwise, Diesel and Smashwords.

In the main this is a source file issue and not an ereader issue.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote