Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
nakita002
nakita002 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Calibre - total newbie!

Hi all,
I am picking up my Kindle 2 today - in about 2 hours :-D

So excited I am setting up my ebook library in Calibre, and believe me, I'm already well-stocked :-)

I am a total newbie so I dont understand technical jargon...so please be kind :-)

1. I have a variety of different formats (pdf, html, .lit etc) - do I have to 'convert' all of them? Is there any specific thing which I should also do (tags maybe?) to make my life and experience easier and better?

2. I see a book cover option when converting my ebooks...does this work on the Kindle 2?

3. Is there anything useful/important I should use Calibre for besides this?

Please note that I am in Europe and have no 3g coverage....

Thanks!
nakita002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If your books have DRM (digital rights management) it must be removed. Then Calibre can convert the books. When you install Calibre it will go through a Wizard and select the Kindle when you get to that part of the Wizard. Then Calibre will convert to mobi format (preferred format which is essentially the same as Amazon's azw format).

Book covers will not show on the home screen on the Kindle. When you open a book it will automatically go to the beginning of the text. If you want to see the cover, you can, while in the book, hit menu and select cover. After you finish looking at the cover, hit back and you'll be in the book.

Calibre is simply excellent at managing your library. You can add tags to make it easier to sort your books.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Calibre is also useful for keeping track of what you have read. I set ratings only on books I have read, so it is easy to see at a glance whether I have read something. Also, I have a tag (Kindle, I'm so imaginative) that I add once I move a book onto my kindle. If I ever get 2.5, I will have all my books in collections, making constantly checking a tad harder.

You will love your kindle. This is definately the place to come if you have any questions or concerns. Congratulations!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book cover, calibre, kindle 2