Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
bam451
bam451 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thinking of buying an e reader

I'm really interested in buying the Kindle 2. I've researched a little bit and I really love the dictionary function. The only thing that's holding me up is that I know I won't be able to check out books from a library. All the books I want to read I'll have to purchse, right?!? I know these e books are cheaper but that does add up. Can you sell a e book after purchasing it? Just curious. I've never really checked books out from the library, but I do buy from Amazon and then resell.
bam451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The agency pricing model, of which you'll find information in the upper forums, is being a pain in the arse as it usually, not always, means a rise of prices which people are resenting. Ebooks can't be resold.

However, you're not forced to only purchase books. You can add books from your own HDD. In Amazon's Kindle it works through their Whispernet, and if I recall correctly it has a per-book cost to reformat books so that they're readable with it.

Other readers don't have such constraints towards what you can put inside the device or you can read. I advise you to stroll around the other threads in this forum, and through MobileRead in general, because it is an unvaluable source of information.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 05:02 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
However, you're not forced to only purchase books. You can add books from your own HDD. In Amazon's Kindle it works through their Whispernet, and if I recall correctly it has a per-book cost to reformat books so that they're readable with it.
This is not entirely accurate. You can load books via the USB connection onto the Kindle, exactly as you can with any other device. The Kindle will read any DRM-free Mobipocket format book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam451 View Post
The only thing that's holding me up is that I know I won't be able to check out books from a library. All the books I want to read I'll have to purchse, right?!? I know these e books are cheaper but that does add up. Can you sell a e book after purchasing it?
It is possible to read lending library ebooks in the MOBI format on the Kindle, see Thinking of getting a Kindle, Can I really get library books for it? The number of ebooks available depends on where you live, and PDF/ePub lending library ebooks are not directly usable - unless you strip their DRM (as discussed in the referenced thread).

You can't sell purchased ebooks. Amazon could setup a resale site, because they can delete the original from your devices when it is sold, but they have not done so - probably because of the potential for publishers to strongly object.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote