Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #31
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm with Gideon. The PDF support SUCKS, but I'm still not returning mine.

It's better than nothing. The iRex costs too much. It has access to the Kindle Store.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #32
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Bleh, I got a response to my whining about crippled PDF support:

"We [Amazon] are forwarding your comments to our development team...."

But maybe if they got a million of these, a bulb will go on somewhere.

I am going to hold my breath.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #33
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
That was better than I got Sonist - "We'll consider your feedback as we plan further improvements..." and on another thread Gideon said they didn't reply to him at all.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #34
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
That was better than I got Sonist - "We'll consider your feedback as we plan further improvements..." and on another thread Gideon said they didn't reply to him at all.
Heh, maybe they treat complaints from red-haired, surly orangutans, more seriously....
Old 06-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #35
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Bleh, I got a response to my whining about crippled PDF support:

"We [Amazon] are forwarding your comments to our development team...."

But maybe if they got a million of these, a bulb will go on somewhere.

I am going to hold my breath.
I believe that is a standard response.......I got the same one when I emailed them right after I got my K1..........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #36
slickshark
slickshark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I know it's not the optimal solution, but you can zoom in and print the PDF to a file before importing it to Kindle. I use a program called Adolix PDF Converter, but there may be a free alternative as well. What I do is click print, choose Adolix, go to properties, and change Margins and Zoom. I set zoom to 140, left origin to -40, and top origin to -60 (this will vary from document to document). This way you remove the margins and the text becomes much more readable. I hope this helps.
slickshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #37
maidavale
You folks stay classy.
maidavale is on a distinguished road

Device: Anything w/ Pixel Qi (c. 2010 4Q)
Well, a bit gutted that this thread has convinced me not to purchase a DX. Like many, I cannot justify the cost of an iRex, especially since I get the feeling it will be outdated very quickly (and other issues I hear about on the forums, like iLiad's screen cracking easily)... Considering competition will pick up by later this year/early next year, not just for dedicated readers but also with other devices in general, the wait for that perfect device shall continue.
maidavale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #38
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by maidavale View Post
I cannot justify the cost of an iRex, especially since I get the feeling it will be outdated very quickly (and other issues I hear about on the forums, like iLiad's screen cracking easily)
FWIW, there have been fewer problems with that since they redesigned the case for the iLiad v2, and very few problems of cracked screens with the new DR. At least, as far as I can tell from the forums.

They're still expensive though. They haven't fixed that problem yet.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #39
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
You would 'think' all of that stuff can be changed with a firmware update of the Kindle, so if we make our voices heard by writing to Amazon, we increase the likelihood of a fix. But yeah it could be a licensing issue, I wonder how Adobe price those things.

Even writing to the popular tech blogs so they are aware of reader annoyance at the poor PDF performance and 'may' help.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 AM   #40
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
I can't imagine why there would be a licensing issue; there are open-source pdf viewers like evince and okular for linux that support these features.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:53 AM   #41
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
... But yeah it could be a licensing issue, I wonder how Adobe price those things.....
I really, really doubt it has anything to do with licensing. Or with difficulties implementing PDFs into the Kindle.

I'd guess that Amazon was pushed into PDF by the likes of NYT and textbook publishers. But then Bezos, who already owns .mobi, decided PDF adoption would be bad for .mobi and its derivatives. So Amazon did as little as possible, to claim PDF support.

Which means, that there might be little chance, that Amazon will provide a fix soon.

And which also means, that no one should buy a Kindle DX, for its PDF capabilities.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #42
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I really, really doubt it has anything to do with licensing. Or with difficulties implementing PDFs into the Kindle.
Yes, I doubt Adobe would charge for the SDK on the basis of which features are implemented by the licensee.

Amazon licensed the Adobe Reader Mobile SDK, using which it is certainly possible to do more than what they are doing with PDF (as Sony and other licensees demonstrate). And certainly not including the SDK's ePub and Adobe Content Server support seems a business-driven decision designed to limit proliferation of competing formats. But it could also be in part that they could not afford to take on the risk of dropping in so many features all at once.

Bezos' recent statements that Kindle hardware is 'separate' from Kindle eBook business, 'dedicated to the best ebook reader experience' leave hope that as ebook reader market becomes more competitive - and let us all hope that it does - that the Kindle hardware team will decide they need to broaden ebook format support and improve PDF support in particular. The Kindle eBook business, undoubtedly the more profitable of the two, will just have to deal with it by offering the best value, convenience and selection for Kindle customers.

I wish they'd do this sooner (e.g. firmware updates) rather than later (the next Kindle device). But it seems unlikely.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #43
301verbs
Enthusiast
301verbs began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
It'll be interesting to see what the made-for-DX textbooks look like. If they're PDFs, how will they deal with the TOC issue? That and the inability to use hyperlinks might prompt complaints that Amazon will have incentive to listen to (unfortunately I don't see a wishful thinking smiley )
301verbs is offline   Reply With Quote