Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
How do you release a free Kindle book on Amazon?

Hi, Everyone.

After putting my short story on Smashwords, I thought maybe I should also release it for free on Kindle (with the understanding that I could always unpublish it if I wanted to do something else with it down the line). But when I went into Amazon's DTP site, there wasn't an option for releasing an ebook for free. The least I could see was 99 cents, but that doesn't make sense to me, because I've seen a lot of free stuff on Amazon. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Hi, Everyone.

After putting my short story on Smashwords, I thought maybe I should also release it for free on Kindle (with the understanding that I could always unpublish it if I wanted to do something else with it down the line). But when I went into Amazon's DTP site, there wasn't an option for releasing an ebook for free. The least I could see was 99 cents, but that doesn't make sense to me, because I've seen a lot of free stuff on Amazon. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
Big publishers get to set a free price. Small publishers don't. But if it's free somewhere else, and Amazon find out, they might drop the price to free if you're on the 70% (& possible even on the 35% - I can't remember the full details) royalty rate.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Big publishers get to set a free price. Small publishers don't. But if it's free somewhere else, and Amazon find out, they might drop the price to free if you're on the 70% (& possible even on the 35% - I can't remember the full details) royalty rate.
Thanks, pdurrant! I guess I'll set a 99 cent price on the short story and see how it goes.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Technically, you can't do this. I'd like to hear of people who've tried it and know what the results are, but the Amazon pricing page states:

"For any Digital Book for which you select the 35% Royalty Option, at all times that the Digital Book is available for sale through the Program, you must adjust the List Price as required to ensure that the List Price, plus 15% (the statutory Luxembourg VAT rate) for sales to UK customers, does not exceed the lowest of: (a) the lowest suggested retail price or equivalent price for any digital or physical edition of the Digital Book; (b) the lowest price at which you list or offer any digital or physical edition of the Digital Book on any website or other sales channel; and (c) any maximum List Price we provide from time to time in the Program Policies."

Which basically means you can't have it free elsewhere and at Amazon for $0.99. That is, considering I'm reading the jargon correctly.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Someone in this forum said a few months back that they did that and Amazon just removed the book instead of price matching.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
JaydeS
Author of SPY KIDZ
JaydeS knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'JaydeS knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'JaydeS knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'JaydeS knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'JaydeS knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'JaydeS knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'JaydeS knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'JaydeS knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'JaydeS knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'JaydeS knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'JaydeS knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
As far as I'm aware, you can set the price on Smashwords to 0, then email Amazon (the dtp email address) and tell them the book's free on another site, mention the link and you stand a great chance they'll match the price. However, it does take them a few days to reply.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jayde

Visit my blog
JaydeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
They won't always match the price, Jayde. Sometimes Amazon will just remove the book. They're not really consistent about that.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote