Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
AuPhinger
Aficionado
AuPhinger began at the beginning.

Device: Rags to Riches - K1, K2, 500
500 vs 505

I'm sure that this information is available here, but I have not been able to locate it. Primarily for curiosity, just what are the differences between these two---the 500 & 505. I know that the 505 is an (I think incremental) upgrade, but other than the shades of gray, I don't know of any differences.

From the thread titles, I suspect that there are significant differences in the on-board software/firmware?

I wonder cuz I just aquired an unopened 500 for $132.50. For better or worse, I just couldn't say no. Lordy, my wiofe hates to hear me say that!!!

TIA,

Gene, aka Magoo
AuPhinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The 505 adds...

Better and faster Vixplex screen
Mountable file system (for use on Mac/Linux PCs)
Support for ePub file format
Support for Adoboe DRM
Chargeable via USB is the batter is flat
More free space to store ebooks

That's from memory. You could also go the the Wiki and take a look at the feature matrix. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The 505 has a Viziplex screen which give a better experience than the 500's screen (at least most agree it does).

The 505 also supports ePub (DRM'd & not DRM'd) and DRM'd PDF which the 500 does not. It also reflows PDF's (or tries anyway, results vary).

$132 sounds like a good deal to me for a new 500.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
stevejay
Enthusiast
stevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500 prs
My 500 is now loaded up with more than I can read in a year after about 3 days, and it displays just fine. Use, enjoy, don't second guess, because that's a good deal

I got a similar deal, I paid more but the previous owner tossed me some SONY ebook store cards.
stevejay is offline   Reply With Quote