Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Sony Library and epub files - help please

Hi, here is my situation. I have the 505 and buy all my books from Sony as I like the simplicity and the price is pretty good. With the 50% sale at WH I have bought 4 books which are in epub format. After a bit of work i was able to get them on the reader but when I connect the reader to the sony Library it does not show these books up in it so I can not move them to any collections ( and this stuffs me up greatly!). Any ideas how I can get the books to show in Sony Library to put into the collections?

I need to point out here that I am not very "techie" so any reply please treat me like a child that needs full instructions. I tried to use Calibre and was able to import the files in but it would not let me upload them to the reader and I got errors. I am unable to figure this programme out ( being of child intelligence that is) so if there is any other way to get the files over to LIT that would be great ( and might solve the problem). Looking forward to lots of help - please

Natalie -
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Is the firmware in your Sony 505 updated? My 505 didn't come out of the box with the ability to read epub files - I didn't get it until I upgraded the firmware.

If you have Sony Library installed, you can check to see if you have the most recent firmware by plugging the Sony into your computer while you have Sony Library open. It should automatically check for updates on both the library and the Reader itself.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
It sounds like you transferred the ePub files to your Sony without using the Sony Library. You can import the files into the Sony Library using the File->Import files function from the drop-down menu.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

du-oh! of course! so simple but hey - its Christmas. The one time of year the brain fly's out the window. I deleted the books and then reloaded them through the Sony Library and there they are all nice and pretty. I was able to add them to collections with no problems at all so it has made my day. Thanks Seabound. So are there any issue with reading the epub files on the sony or do the books read the same as the LIT files?

Great idea Fizzy Water. I did that and now have the updated software on both. Thanks for that as I would never have thought of that either.

Natalie
Now a happy camper!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
du-oh! of course! so simple but hey - its Christmas. The one time of year the brain fly's out the window. I deleted the books and then reloaded them through the Sony Library and there they are all nice and pretty. I was able to add them to collections with no problems at all so it has made my day. Thanks Seabound. So are there any issue with reading the epub files on the sony or do the books read the same as the LIT files?

Great idea Fizzy Water. I did that and now have the updated software on both. Thanks for that as I would never have thought of that either.

Natalie
Now a happy camper!
You're welcome! It would have, as you say, "stuffed me up" too if my eBooks were not in their proper collections. And, yes, I have used the holidays as an excuse many times myself. It is a perfectly acceptable thing to do

ePub, the way AdobeDE renders it in the reader, has a different "look" from the LRF format (which I prefer). Other than that, it should work seamlessly on your Sony. Enjoy the books!
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 03:42 AM   #6
nwinter
Zealot

[ And, yes, I have used the holidays as an excuse many times myself. It is a perfectly acceptable thing to do

If only we could use that excuse all the time. Thanks for that. Ill have a read of the epubs and go from there. I am just so happy to have it all sorted