Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Instructions: How To Return Kindle Library Books Early

Just found this:

http://www.slideshare.net/WakeCounty...le-ebook-early

Good to know... I did the three week checkout, just in case, but it's a good book, so I'll be done early [about two days]. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Good information, thanks! Was actually looking for this.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Whoever made that slideshow needs to get AdBlockPlus and/or a compatible browser.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
The guy that didn't include this on the Amazon Kindle info page deserves to be fired.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200747550

OR maybe he got a raise because Amazon thinks more people will give up and buy the ebook because most people don't know the proper way to return an ebook to the Library.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
That's good to know. Keep in mind that your account can get temporarily locked if you return too many books early too many times. I don't know how often this happens are what the exact numbers are but I'd heard that it could happen. I downloaded a few last week then decided to read something else and returned them so someone else could get them. I was given an error message that my account was temporarily locked for returning books early too many times and to wait a few days. I tried again three days later and all went well and I can check books out again.

It doesn't seem to be a big deal but it's something to keep in mind.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Keep in mind that your account can get temporarily locked if you return too many books early too many times.
That's strange, but I think I can understand why.

The publishers are trying to limit the number of times that an ebook can be checked out, attempting to artificially limit their availability. Similar to how they only allow you to check out 3 (depending on your library I assume) ebooks at a time, they don't want you to check out a large number very quickly, limiting your total number of checkouts, both to keep the library from having to pay too much for one user, and to limit the total distribution. I'm guessing that this is part of their license.

Also... a person who is checking out large numbers of books and quickly returning them could very well be stripping the DRM, so this would reduce their capacity to do that.

I see it no different than if they were to not allow early returns, you'd hit your three book limit and be limited to at most three books per week.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Similar to how they only allow you to check out 3 (depending on your library I assume) ebooks at a time
This probably varies greatly from library system to library system. My library lets me check out up to 7 etitles (audiobooks, ebooks, etc.) at a time.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
That's good to know. Keep in mind that your account can get temporarily locked if you return too many books early too many times. I don't know how often this happens are what the exact numbers are but I'd heard that it could happen. I downloaded a few last week then decided to read something else and returned them so someone else could get them. I was given an error message that my account was temporarily locked for returning books early too many times and to wait a few days. I tried again three days later and all went well and I can check books out again.

It doesn't seem to be a big deal but it's something to keep in mind.

- Byron
According to my Library it's if you return 3 times the allow checked out.. Libraries are able to tweak this but most don't. So if you say allowed 15 books and you return 45 titles in 7 days or 14 days or 21 days depending on the check out time chosen. Your account can get locked. Also if you have more then one library card from different local\state libraries that used the same system like READS does the two accounts do count as one.

You really do have to space those returns out if you check out alot of books.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
According to my Library it's if you return 3 times the allow checked out.. Libraries are able to tweak this but most don't. So if you say allowed 15 books and you return 45 titles in 7 days or 14 days or 21 days depending on the check out time chosen. Your account can get locked. Also if you have more then one library card from different local\state libraries that used the same system like READS does the two accounts do count as one.

You really do have to space those returns out if you check out alot of books.
Good to know. Thanks.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
This probably varies greatly from library system to library system. My library lets me check out up to 7 etitles (audiobooks, ebooks, etc.) at a time.
Definitely. My 3 main libraries allow me to check out 20, 25, 30 titles at a time with a lending period of 21 days each. I can have 10, 20, 25 titles on hold. Once notified, I have 4, 5, 7 days to check them out.

Quite generous and probably due to the fairly large selection they offer.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Definitely. My 3 main libraries allow me to check out 20, 25, 30 titles at a time with a lending period of 21 days each. I can have 10, 20, 25 titles on hold. Once notified, I have 4, 5, 7 days to check them out.

Quite generous and probably due to the fairly large selection they offer.
My library is 10 titles, 14 days for Kindle, 2 days after notification.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote