Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
HarperCollins offers digital book content for iPhone

HarperCollins offers digital book content for iPhone.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Publisher HarperCollins said on Wednesday it would make samples from 14 new book titles available for Apple Inc's Web-browsing iPhone in a new effort to extend publishing into digital formats.

Most of the new books will debut in August and September, with the iPhone-compatible versions available at HarperCollins mobile Web site.

Books available for sampling on the iPhone include "The Burnt House" by Faye Kellerman, "Now and Forever" by Ray Bradbury and "Obama" by David Mendell.

HarperCollins' "Browse Inside" applications allows readers to sample pages of its books on the Web. The company began to build up its digital warehouse of published material in 2006 with digital technology firm LibreDigital and now has 10,000 titles available.

iPhone subscribers will be able to view the first 10 pages of chapters one and two of the select group of new books in what HarperCollins described as a pilot program.

After sampling the stories, customers can choose to buy or pre-order the book from retailers through the mobile application.

HarperCollins is part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.

(Reporting by Michele Gershberg, with additional reporting by Bhaswati Mukhopadhyay in Bangalore)

© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.

Source Story
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I saw this over at PalmAddicts and, as I understand it, the reading will have to be done on the web. That's just crazy, but that's also Apple and its refusal to allow third-party readers to be installed.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's probably true, radleyp, but then again, since most everything on the iPhone is really "on the web" rather than on the phone itself, I don't suppose it's that surprising.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Yes, you're right, though I think some of the data (the PIM stuff mostly) resides either on the phone or on a desktop.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I guess the 8GB on-board the rascal is meant for MP3 files.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2007, 04:16 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The HarperCollins iPhone link: http://mobile.harpercollins.com/browser.asp

Samples are currently available for the following titles:
  • Winning by Jack Welch & Suzy Welch
  • Now and Forever by Ray Bradbury
  • The Burnt House by Faye Kellerman
  • Love is a Many Trousered Thing by Louise Rennison
  • The Art of Power by Thich Nhat Hanh
  • Sweet Revenge by Diane Mott Davidson
  • Ike, An American Hero by Michael Korda
  • Life On the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers
  • Beyond the Body Farm by Bill Bass
  • A Killer's Kiss by William Lashner
  • Soul Catcher by Michael C. White
  • Obama by David Mendell
  • The Case for the Real Jesus by Lee Strobel
  • When the Game is Over It All Goes Back in the Box by John Ortberg

What do you guys think... is it time for an iPhone subsection at MobileRead?

Last edited by TadW; 08-16-2007 at 04:24 AM.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Well, I don't think these HarperCollins news alone would justify an iPhone subsection (to me, samples of a selection of 14 titles doesn't sound very revolutionary - really not).

But there is another interesting development that makes the iPhone a potentially interesting candidate as an e-book reader... it's called Books.app. TeleRead wrote some more about it.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:57 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
It looks to me like it is still a "future" ebook device, at least until the ebook reading software is released. Can you create a subforum for the Iphone in the future devices forum?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Can you create a subforum for the Iphone in the future devices forum?
We could do this but I am afraid this would defeat the purpose of the future device forum. Currently it functions as a "catch all" place for any new e-book reader technology that we don't have specific categories for.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
This is very badly done. I've checked it out on my iPhone, and it isn't really usable. I think the pages have been scanned rather than digitized. They certainly are not in PDF format. If you zoom in you get all sorts of artifacts and the text becomes fuzzy and unclear. Whoever did this doesn't seem to have much knowledge of ebook reading. The only good thing about it is that the iPhone seems to have made some publishers re-think offering ebooks.

The iPhone would make a great ebook reader because of its large screen and extremely crisp display. Unfortunately all the current attempts aren't really practical and I couldn't recommend getting an iPhone for ebook reading at the current time. It will only be feasible when Apple permits external applications to be loaded onto the phone.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:07 AM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Bummer. I was seriously consider buying the iPhone - also for an e-book reader replacement - but probably it's better to sit and wait for Apple to integrate e-books into iTunes.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:13 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're probably best off with a Windows Mobile "Smartphone" if you want to use it as a bookreader. That will give you the choice of lots of different reading software, both for freely available and DRM-protected content.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #13
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

You're probably best off with a Windows Mobile "Smartphone" if you want to use it as a bookreader. That will give you the choice of lots of different reading software, both for freely available and DRM-protected content.

Erm well yes no perhaps and maybe. Book.app looks promising. the HarperCollins search Inside are a complete red herring - they aren't eBooks. i think they are low-fi jpegs.

If you want to see what the iPhone is capable of check out the screenshots on the Book.app pages:

(taken from here).

As good as my 600x480 resolution PDA don't know how it compares with a smartphone.

I wouldn't mind betting that the mobipocket guys will be on the case pretty soon (when they get back from holiday, get their servers running again etc). Personally for the moment I'll be sticking with the Windows Mobile PDA I already have, and I wouldn't buy an iPhone especially for viewing eBooks, but I will be watching to see what Apple come up with next.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
radleyp
Evangelist

The larger screen is an improvement over that of the MotorolaQ, on which I read via different readers (mainly ereader), but I have a question: how do you move from page to page, by tapping the lower part of the screen perhaps? I think the iphone would improve by adding another hardware button or two and a stylus. BTW, AndyM, the iphone sample you include is much taller than the iphone itself.

Last edited by radleyp; 08-20-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #15
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
BTW, AndyM, the iphone sample you include is much taller than the iphone itself.
I checked and the pixel dimensions of the screenshot are 320x480 - perhaps the pixels dimensions on the phone are smaller than on a monitor?
andym is offline   Reply With Quote