Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #136
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Thanks, Alissa.

Using those steps and the newest version of Mobihandler, I'm having no problems with the latest Kindle for PC installed.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #137
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Removed previous version and installed the new one, all seems to be working fine
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #138
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissa View Post
So, the new version, 1.1.1271, of MobiHandler is ready. It is on my skydrive page as always. Please download mobihandler-1-1-1271-setup.msi

Have fun!
works great! what did you do differently than 1268? just a code cleanup or something more?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #139
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
New version works great! Old version wouldn't work at all on AZW once I upgraded to 1.7.0. I tried everything too but the 1.1.1271 worked first time I installed it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #140
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Thank you all for quick adoption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
what did you do differently than 1268? just a code cleanup or something more?
Mostly slight code cleanup.

I tried to improve the management strategy of file type association so that co-existance with other MOBI file handling applications are more automatc. Unfortunately, I got no significant gains in weeks. So, I decided to postpone the improvemen and to declare the release status.

The most significant change in 1.1.1271 is the updated document (readme.txt). It was unchanged since the initial distribution (way back in April) and some statements were out of sync with the actual program.

If no serious issues are reported in a week or so, I will say MobiHandler is not in a testing stage any more.

So, please use it and let me know any issues.

Alissa
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #141
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up

Quote:
If no serious issues are reported in a week or so, I will say MobiHandler is not in a testing stage any more.
I heared no complaints in two weeks, so I considered it's fine. I renamed the distribution files of 1.1.1271 to mobihandler-1-1-setup.msi and mobihandler-1-1-src.zip, i.e. no build numbers, and removed all other files in 1.1 series.

Note that the contents of the files are unchanged; it is just renaming.

I'd like to say MobiHandler version 1.1 is released.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #142
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
yup

Quote:
I heared no complaints in two weeks, so I considered it's fine. I renamed the distribution files of 1.1.1271 to mobihandler-1-1-setup.msi and mobihandler-1-1-src.zip, i.e. no build numbers, and removed all other files in 1.1 series.

Note that the contents of the files are unchanged; it is just renaming.

I'd like to say MobiHandler version 1.1 is released.
yup great, and congratulations on a job well done
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #143
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
yup great, and congratulations on a job well done
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #144
umeca74
umeca74 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I wonder if this tool can offer plain text previews too? You know these that appear in windows explorer's preview pane? Such a text extraction facility would also make kindle ebooks searchable using windows desktop search. Any ideas? Thanks
umeca74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #145
Alissa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeca74 View Post
I wonder if this tool can offer plain text previews too? You know these that appear in windows explorer's preview pane? Such a text extraction facility would also make kindle ebooks searchable using windows desktop search. Any ideas? Thanks
No, MobiHandler does NOT provide text preview. It shows the same cover image as thumbnail on the Windows Explorer's preview pane (although the size will be larger.)

You are right that if we can extract the book text and pass it to Windows Search Indexer, we could find MOBI/AZW books containing some particular words. I agree such a feature is useful. I believe I know how to pass the text to Windows Search once it was extracted. There are two problems, however: (1) most of the books sold by Amazon are encrypted (DRM) and breaking it is not what I want to do, and (2) even on unencrypted books, extracting the content text is far more complex task than extracting the cover image.

So, it is not on my to do list, at least for the moment. I don't know you are a programmer, but if you are or you know some who are also interested in making MOBI books searchable on the Windows, you can always download the source files of the MobiHandler and start adding the feature. Please feel free to use it as a basis of your work. I'm willing to answer any question regarding the internals of MobiHandler or something related, as far as I know.

BTW, my to dos for the next version of MobiHandlers are: (1) cleanup of the cover image handling codes that consist of three similar but separate code blocks in this version, (2) isolation of the property sheet handling and anything else (i.e., cover image extraction and other properties management), and (3) improvement of installer especially on the technique to make it coexist with A4PC, calibre, Mobipocket Reader, etc. I'm currently woking (very slowly) on them.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #146
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@Alissa:
I like your program and use it a lot to quickly check the metadata of unknown mobi files.
Would it be possible for you to include information about the input and output languages of mobi dictionaries in the next version?
This would help to troubleshoot dictionary issues, because many homemade dictionaries contain the wrong input language code and cannot be used as lookup dictionaries.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #147
aaroncavanaugh2
aaroncavanaugh2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thanks for sharing your knowledge

Quote:
Windows Search Indexer, we could find MOBI/AZW books containing some particular words. I agree such a feature is useful. I believe I know how to pass the text to Windows Search once it was extracted. There are two problems, however: (1) most of the books sold by Amazon are encrypted (DRM) and breaking it is not what I want to do, and (2) even on unencrypted books, extracting the content text is far more complex task than extracting the cover image.
Hi Alissa,

for sharing your work.

I also would like to see that above implemented for .azw and .azw1(topaz) files.

Thanks. God Bless.

Aaron.
aaroncavanaugh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #148
KonradK
KonradK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle PW3
How to add manually a new extention to the list of supported types?
I have found that MobiHandler can extract cover and metadata from AZW3 files as long as they have AZW exstention.
KonradK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #149
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Would a Mac version be possible?

EDIT: found a Mac QuickLook plugin which at least shows you the book cover as the Finder thumbnail, look for mobipocket at the link below, and place the downloaded file in Library > QuickLook

http://www.qlplugins.com/?page=1

Last edited by gers1978; 08-09-2012 at 01:14 PM.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #150
haroldj1701
haroldj1701 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Alissa, you are brilliant! This really works, THANX!!
haroldj1701 is offline   Reply With Quote