Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #61
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
At this point I'd only really like to collect series' that I enjoy in paperback; anything else works fine as an ebook.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #62
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I quit buying printed books years ago. I'm strictly digital these days.
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by estelle58 View Post
I quit buying printed books years ago. I'm strictly digital these days.
Do you never buy reference books? They really aren't so good as eBooks, generally speaking.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #64
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I agree. I still buy paper copies of knitting magazines, even though they are also offered as (drm-free) digital downloads.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #65
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I used to occasionally buy Computer magazines, PC gaming magazines and stuff like that, but my local library gets pretty much all the magazines I want to read.

So these days I just drop in the library after work or on weekends and spend a morning or afternoon reading magazines, so I don't even buy those anymore.

Actually my local library is fantastic, it provides free wifi, so I can browse on my phone or tablet there. Yes I have wifi at home, but it's nice to get out of the house and get a break from the family sometimes.

They provide free rooms for clubs to meet up as well, so I go there sometimes when the local boardgames club meets up.

They also keep their pbook collection quite up to date, so it's nice to browse the bookshelves and borrow books, magazines, audio books etc.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #66
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've bought some paperbacks lately, because weirdly enough, in the Forgotten Realms world, sometimes a book in a series is not available as an ebook. Think of Sembia 1, and Harpers 3. Only available as (second hand) paperbacks.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #67
lakesea
lakesea began at the beginning.

Device: none
I also thought I'd never read a book again. Actually haven't read one for 2-3 years, just ebooks. But then I bought a very nice table lamp (this one) and discovered an old copy of 1984 in my library...read it the whole night and the feeling was so different to an ebook. Loved it!
lakesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #68
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I barely purchase anything in paper form these days. The occasional reference book, and things with massive amounts of footnotes/endnotes. Or some kind of collectors edition, say a leather bound copy of some book that is important to me. Easton Press books, paper editions with special slip cases, etcetera.

In fact, I purchased a couple of books recently in paper form and haven't gotten around to reading them yet, and feel I need to purchase the e-books to actually read them. Ugh.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:10 AM   #69
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I have the intention not to buy any books until some years after now. I want to buy books that I've rated 5/5 so that if ever I can't afford e readers or the internet, I have some of my most cherished reads with me. Anything can happen, so I want to be prepared. I'll be getting most of my 5/5 books, but not two Ellery Queen books that I gave a perfect score. These are out of print.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:30 AM   #70
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I'll be getting most of my 5/5 books, but not two Ellery Queen books that I gave a perfect score. These are out of print.
Abebooks.com is a great way to get out-of-print paper books.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:34 AM   #71
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Abebooks.com is a great way to get out-of-print paper books.
Thanks, just checked, they do have the books I need.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 AM   #72
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I never go to the library. If there's a book I want to read, I go to a bookstore and buy it. Then I purchased my very first ereader in 2012. I've never bought a pbook for two years (2012, 2013). But this year it's changed. I started to go back to buying pbooks. I purchased a lot in 2014. I think over 20 printed books so far. Two days ago I ordered 5 novels from Amazon, along with two bookmarks. So yes, I still buy and read printed novels.

Last edited by Gazella; 08-31-2014 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typo
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #73
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I bought my first paper book in years this weekend, but it wasn't a novel. It was Stephen Sear's "To the Gates of Richmond", a book that was published back in 1992 and isn't available in ebook.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #74
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you never buy reference books? They really aren't so good as eBooks, generally speaking.
I prefer ebooks as reference books. Much easier to search, for one thing. I've been converting my library hardback to ebook. Unfortunately, many of the reference books I use (history mostly) are not available as ebooks. On the flip side, many of the primary sources that I use are in the public domain and are now widely available as ebooks. I don't think that I will be throwing away my dead tree copies of these books, some are quite valuable, but it's much more convenient to use the ebook versions.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #75
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I haven't purchased an old fashioned book in ages. Also, I save a good amount by subscribing to a digital newspaper.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote