Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #166
khseal
Enthusiast
khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Touch
Amazon does not send to my country. It is a bad cable =) That's a good cable here.
Details in an attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_010.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	96748  
khseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #167
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Not bad, just different.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #168
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by khseal View Post
Amazon does not send to my country. It is a bad cable =) That's a good cable here.
Details in an attachment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not bad, just different.
Sweet... what was the chip / adaptor that you used please

nice selection of cables there
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #169
khseal
Enthusiast
khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.khseal actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Sweet... what was the chip / adaptor that you used please

nice selection of cables there
I do not remember what it was for the adapter.
What is Chinese noname adapter (Example ebay, but it is best ebay. It is not necessary to disassemble.)and card Kingmax miniSD 8GB class 10. The card has a low speed.
I ordered a faster card for ebay . But do not know it will work faster. The card may not work...
It is best to find an adapter with a voltage stabilizer to 3.3V.
The stabilizer can unsolder and powered from the other bus to 3.3V.
khseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #170
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What is Chinese noname adapter (Example ebay, but it is best ebay. It is not necessary to disassemble.)and card Kingmax miniSD 8GB class 10. The card has a low speed.
I ordered a faster card for ebay . But do not know it will work faster. The card may not work...
Thanks very much for your help.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #171
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Here is one shipped from China for $0.99USD (free shipping):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230852464834

I ordered some from one vendor that worked on my Google Nexus 7 (and should work on a kindle), but I ordered some from a different ebay vendor that DO NOT work on my Nexus 7. To hedge your bets, perhaps order from two different vendors?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #172
twobob

OOOOOOOKKKKKAAAYYY!!!

I have spent most of today trying to figure out why after a COMPLETELY clean reinstall I now get
Quote:
Setting up makedev (2.3.1-92em1) ...
/run/udev or .udevdb or .udev presence implies active udev. Aborting MAKEDEV invocation.
/run/udev or .udevdb or .udev presence implies active udev. Aborting MAKEDEV invocation.
chmod: cannot access `/dev/tty[0-9]*': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing makedev (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mountall:
mountall depends on makedev; however:
Package makedev is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing mountall (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
makedev
mountall
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
every time I try to install anything? humph.

Cant seem to fix it. Will wipe AGAIN. and try AGAIN bah.

EDIT: hmm. Okay so I finally noticed an error about the LD_LIBRARY_PATH not containing the right things...

Quote:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains the traditional /lib directory,
but not the multiarch directory /lib/arm-linux-gnueabi.
It is not safe to upgrade the C library in this situation;
please remove the /lib/directory from LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
try again.
So I did (duh)... and now I managed to get the installs to work.. but this is definitely a "new" requirement.

and I still get the

Spoiler:
Quote:
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Setting up makedev (2.3.1-92em1) ...
chmod: cannot access `/dev/tty[0-9]*': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing makedev (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mountall:
mountall depends on makedev; however:
Package makedev is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing mountall (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
makedev
mountall

Warning after just about everything to do with apt or dpkg. Sigh... Will keep digging

EDIT: Okay I am going to try to just remove them for now with aptitude...
(pictured)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_022.png
Views:	366
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	97055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_023.png
Views:	313
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	97056  

Last edited by twobob; 11-30-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #173
twobob

Okay removing the apps fixed the issue. perhaps reinstalling them they will work okay now... I will have a check after I back the current image up.

Thought I should record it all anyways for the future reader.

When they said UNSTABLE they really meant it!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #174
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
I'm amazed on how many things you're able to break. I suck at that - it all just worked for me xD

But that's good, probably I just made too many assumptions about environment and relied on my particular configuration or things that seemed to me natural, but they are not for anyone else. Or instructions are simply lacking or underdefined.

I'll make a clean install soon, we'll see what is going to happen
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #175
twobob

Yeah. well... I might be slightly testing it a bit "hard"

However the above error was just after I created a NEW multistrap from scratch so the problem could be upstream. or as a result of mixing repos. or what you said.

Hell, it could be anything : )

so yeah. documented for the next poor sap so they don't waste their day too heh

IN OTHER NEWS:

I am now playing with getting it to build Xephyr from source (bit of practice and all) also gives me a chance to see the native build components in action : )

a base installation of around 700 MB is required before I even start. HEH.

Anyways... I have got my hands on various bits of code that look good for the job now. (mainly hawhills work of course, no surprise there)

Let me know if you fancy jumping in on the Dithyr thing. Now you are an upstanding member of the shadow community again and all ; )

root@kindle:~/xephyr/xorg-server-1.12.4# sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot dpkg-dev
root@kindle:~/xephyr/xorg-server-1.12.4# apt-get source xserver-xephyr
root@kindle:~/xephyr/xorg-server-1.12.4# sudo apt-get build-dep xserver-xephyr

root@kindle:~/xephyr/xorg-server-1.12.4# ./configure --enable-kdrive --enable-xephyr --enable-xfake --enable-xfbdev --enable-kdrive-kbd --enable-kdrive-mouse --enable-kdrive-evdev --disable-xorg --disable-xnest --disable-dmx --disable-docs --disable-devel-docs --disable-screensaver --disable-dri --enable-tslib

EDIT: Gives us:

Spoiler:
Quote:
checking for XEPHYR... yes
checking for nanosleep... yes
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating glx/Makefile
config.status: creating include/Makefile
config.status: creating composite/Makefile
config.status: creating damageext/Makefile
config.status: creating dbe/Makefile
config.status: creating dix/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/dtrace/Makefile
config.status: creating man/Makefile
config.status: creating fb/Makefile
config.status: creating record/Makefile
config.status: creating config/Makefile
config.status: creating mi/Makefile
config.status: creating miext/Makefile
config.status: creating miext/sync/Makefile
config.status: creating miext/damage/Makefile
config.status: creating miext/shadow/Makefile
config.status: creating miext/cw/Makefile
config.status: creating miext/rootless/Makefile
config.status: creating os/Makefile
config.status: creating randr/Makefile
config.status: creating render/Makefile
config.status: creating xkb/Makefile
config.status: creating Xext/Makefile
config.status: creating Xi/Makefile
config.status: creating xfixes/Makefile
config.status: creating exa/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/common/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/common/xf86Build.h
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/ddc/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/dixmods/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/dixmods/extmod/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/doc/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/dri/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/dri2/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/exa/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/exa/man/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/fbdevhw/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/fbdevhw/man/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/i2c/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/int10/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/loader/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/man/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/modes/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/os-support/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/os-support/bus/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree8add the file /etc/apt/preferences6/os-support/hurd/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/os-support/misc/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/os-support/solaris/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/os-support/stub/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/parser/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/ramdac/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/shadowfb/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/vbe/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/vgahw/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/x86emu/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/xaa/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/utils/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/utils/man/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/utils/cvt/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xfree86/utils/gtf/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/dmx/config/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/dmx/config/man/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/dmx/doc/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/dmx/doxygen/doxygen.conf
config.status: creating hw/dmx/doxygen/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/dmx/examples/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/dmx/input/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/dmx/glxProxy/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/dmx/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/dmx/man/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/vfb/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/vfb/man/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xnest/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xnest/man/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xwin/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xwin/glx/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xwin/man/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xquartz/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xquartz/GL/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xquartz/bundle/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xquartz/man/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xquartz/mach-startup/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xquartz/pbproxy/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/xquartz/xpr/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/kdrive/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/kdrive/ephyr/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/kdrive/ephyr/man/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/kdrive/fake/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/kdrive/fbdev/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/kdrive/linux/Makefile
config.status: creating hw/kdrive/src/Makefile
config.status: creating test/Makefile
config.status: creating test/xi2/Makefile
config.status: creating xserver.ent
config.status: creating xorg-server.pc
config.status: creating include/do-not-use-config.h
config.status: creating include/xorg-server.h
config.status: creating include/dix-config.h
config.status: creating include/xorg-config.h
config.status: creating include/xkb-config.h
config.status: creating include/xwin-config.h
config.status: creating include/kdrive-config.h
config.status: creating include/version-config.h
config.status: executing depfiles commands
config.status: executing libtool commands
config.status: executing sdksyms commands

Yay. all downloaded and ready to hack

Note: Obviously this would be for the final build. I would test just building an i686 one locally. Really just wanted to play with doing some native building...

Extra note. remember to populate the file /etc/apt/preferences with

Quote:
Package: xserver-xephyr
Pin: origin ""
Pin-Priority: 1001
afterwards

see. I said I would get around to apt-pinning one day : )

Last edited by twobob; 11-30-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: 700 Mb, too many winky faces, --DISable-tslib --disable-dri
Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 PM   #176
twobob

Okay. That built fine. didn't take too long neither : )

Happy days.

I will see about having a hack and slash at the grayscale implementation. See how tough dithering an existing colorspace would be.

Hawhill provides a simple lookup based one and GM provides a more mathematically geared solution.

: )
Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 AM   #177
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Math is faster than lookup table RAM access on modern processors, but the only REAL way to know which is faster is to benchmark both methods (especially on the kindles). We need something that works on all eink kindle models that we plan to support, and that is INCLUDED in my (mostly branch-free) eink dithering formulas (which is why they are a bit complex). We need to keep cache access in mind to maximize speed and minimize battery consumption...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #178
twobob

Must revisit dithering xephyr (and perhaps one day other targets)

This would make so many things work out of the box now.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #179
R0nd
R0nd has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityR0nd has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityR0nd has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityR0nd has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityR0nd has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityR0nd has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityR0nd has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityR0nd has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityR0nd has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityR0nd has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityR0nd has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It looks great, but it'd be really cool if someone posted a step-by-step guide on how to build Debian for Kindle. As far as I understood I'd need a desktop Debian install to use multistrap, what are other options? What should I do after building it? Thanks.
R0nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #180
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0nd View Post
It looks great, but it'd be really cool if someone posted a step-by-step guide on how to build Debian for Kindle. As far as I understood I'd need a desktop Debian install to use multistrap, what are other options? What should I do after building it? Thanks.
You don't need Debian, just multistrap or debootstrap (the first one is faster and a bit simplier).

There are plenty of manuals and tutorials available on the internet:

http://wiki.debian.org/Multistrap
http://www.linutop.com/wiki/index.ph...ls/Debootstrap
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/01/...-installation/ (you have to skip partition things as it won't be needed here)

It's best to create file with filesystem, mount it on your desktop, install and then just copy it to /mnt/us on the Kindle, as FAT32 filesystem won't preserve needed permissions and metadata. After that you can use my scripts to mount it and chroot into it. BTW, I'll post updated scripts with title bar notifications soon.

--
All of that of course needs basic unix knowledge, but without that you won't be able to really use Debian on Kindle. It's purpose is to give you standard GNU/Linux system which you can freely hack - if you don't want to it's not for you. But, of course, it's never too late to learn something new
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debian, kindle, paperwhite