Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #76
reech
Connoisseur
reech doesn't litterreech doesn't litter

Device: Sony eReader PRS-600
There are a few sinister publishers, who are pricing eBooks the same as hardbacks (i.e. Simon & Schuster, for the Jonathan Maberry's Rot & Ruin) , I can only hope that this is for the initial 'release phase' and it'll drop by a couple of pounds in a week or so.
reech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #77
imahogg
imahogg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
For authors that we've really enjoyed in the past, we'll pay up to $10 or $12 for books we're really looking forward to. For most other established authors, we like to pay no more than what the paperback is selling for. For unfamiliar or new authors, we'll pay up to $5 or $6 if the sample is good. Here's my message to new e-writers: If the content is good, I can stand a few formatting errors if the e-book is in the $3.00 range, but if the price is above that, and there are editing and formatting errors in the sample, I'm almost certain to pass on the purchase.

W. A. Robison
Kindle book: Quiz Bowling: A Perfect 300 Game
imahogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #78
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
seeing this discussion around hardbacks, i have to admit, without trying to be disparaging in any way, that i don't understand the affinity for them. i only own a couple and they're both dictionaries. it's the image i automatically associate with hard-backs. big unwieldy things you can barely hold in your hand/lap while you read.

even when i used to read paper books, i preferred the more malleable paperback even if i wore its covers to the binding. i guess i mostly followed the principle of "a good book is a well-used book."

but this might be because i'm outside the US? i sense they're very popular there as collectibles, as elfwreck said.
are readers outside the US keen on hardbacks as well?

edit: and, even i've already answered the ebook price, i have to agree with mgmueller, if it's a book i really want i'll shell out more but i'll grumble all the way and send hate mail to the author if i feel i've wasted my money.
i can't really hurl "the book" at him/her either seeing it's a pinprick in a electronic device. hmm, maybe that's what hardbacks were good for

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 09-14-2010 at 05:00 PM.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote