Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Paperback novels on the KDXg

I am considering a Kindle DX Graphite purchase this month. I would be moving to the DXg from the PRS-505. I have a significant amount of un-DRM'd books that I am going to have to convert over to mobi for reading on the DXg. However, the PRS-505 had a 6 inch screen. I was wondering how the DXg's 9 inch will handle my books?

Also, would books I buy from the kindle store fill up the entire screen on the DXg? I don't have the device yet. Essentially, what I am asking is how books published in paperback format will look on the DX? My entire library consists of star trek novels that traditionally have been published in paperback.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs
M_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Download Calibre: http://calibre-ebook.com/ And set your device as a Kindle DX. Then add all the files and convert them to mobi, and sync it to your Kindle.

Buying books from the Kindle store will fill the entire screen as well as the converted Epubs. Those files formats let you use essentially any size screen.
M_Agnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
I am considering a Kindle DX Graphite purchase this month. I would be moving to the DXg from the PRS-505. I have a significant amount of un-DRM'd books that I am going to have to convert over to mobi for reading on the DXg. However, the PRS-505 had a 6 inch screen. I was wondering how the DXg's 9 inch will handle my books?

Also, would books I buy from the kindle store fill up the entire screen on the DXg? I don't have the device yet. Essentially, what I am asking is how books published in paperback format will look on the DX? My entire library consists of star trek novels that traditionally have been published in paperback.
Even if your books aren't optimised for the specific reader, most of the eBook formats will do the optimisation "on the fly".
Just an example: If you change the font size, obviously the number of words per line changes accordingly, as do line breaks and so on.
So, wheter the reader is 800x600 or 1024x768 or whatever resolution or whether it's 5", 6", 9.7" or whatever display size, the text will automatically reflow accordingly.
That's of course only true for reflowable file formats (some readers only zoom in PDFs and then of course display size does make a difference).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Thank you, now I completely understand. My books for the prs-505 were brewed with the bookdesigner 5.0 program, not calibre. I used Calibre to organize my library before, but not for converting because it wasn't the best at that, not for the PRS-505. The fonts looked better with bookdesigner. I am sure that has changed now. I will take a second look at calibre for converting now. I hope it can convert lrf's to mobi flawlessly. If it cannot, I will have to go back to the original files for my books and convert.

The newer versions of calibre look much improved. I haven't upgraded it for over a year now. Wow!

mgmueller, your explanation makes total sense, especially the reflow part. I understand now. I'm a bit concerned about all that text on a 9" screen. When I get it, if I don't like the way it looks on the screen I will just add in margins.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
masmullin
masmullin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 Sony
505->KDXG

I am a former 505 user and new KDXG user. Other than the DRM stuff I have bought on the Sony Reader store, all my books have transitioned from epub->mobi nicely.

The KDXG is a superior device, but I do miss my 505 for nostalgic reasons (it rekindled my love of books).

You'll love the KDXG for paperback novels.
masmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert