Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
kleinbiker
kleinbiker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Main window remains minimized

On one of my computers (XP), on launching Calibre the main window remains minimized and I can't restore it. I can see that the process is running with the icon in the taskbar and the system tray.

I've tried the following to no avail:
- disabling antivirus/malware protection during install as well when running calibre
- have tried 6.17 and 7.8. With 7.8 I see calibre as well as the calibre parallel processes running in task manager, just can't bring the main window up.
- between installs ensured that some other calibre process wasn't running. Also cleaned up the registry of any calibre entries
- i see metabase.db getting created when launching calibre the first time. Tried deleting it between installs/runs.
- don't see any events in event viewer application log

Any ideas as to what the issue might be? Is there any option to generate a detailed log that might shed light on the problem?

Thx
-Suresh
kleinbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinbiker View Post
Any ideas as to what the issue might be? Is there any option to generate a detailed log that might shed light on the problem?
I had this happen to me after I had my laptop reimaged by my IT department.

Calibre is opening in your second display, one that you most likely don't actually have hooked up. This happens when your laptop is set as the main monitor then you run in an external monitor. Go into your display properties and switch to just one monitor or switch the display numbers.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-11-2010 at 12:53 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post

Calibre is opening in your second display, one that you most likely don't actually have hooked up. This happens when your laptop is set as the main monitor then you run in an external monitor. Go into your display properties and switch to just one monitor or switch the display numbers.
Try this the next time that happens.
Go to the settings tab of Display Properties and un-tick the "Extend my desktop", then Apply, and confirm.
That might clear the stored coordinates.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
kleinbiker
kleinbiker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post

Thanks for the tip, similar issue here. Right-clicked on the taskbar icon and moved the main window back into view.
kleinbiker is offline   Reply With Quote