Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #1
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Do You Have a Muse?

I know we all approach writing differently and my philosophy these days is - whatever works!

However, my writing comes from a muse. She resides in a part of my brain that I do not use on a daily basis. When writing a book, this part "speaks" to me - and I take it down. In fact, until I hear her speak in the voice of a character, I don't begin writing.

Many others have described this same experience so I'm not alone. I was curious what your style is. Do you use a logical and known part of your brain to carve out your story? Or do you literally have a muse speak to you?

I started a blog about my writing misadventures. Not surprisingly, my very first blog had to do the process of writing, the notion of having a muse and tying it together with the theory advanced by Julian Jaynes. The blog is named after his hypothesis - it's called bicameralwriting and can be found here: http://bicameralwriting.wordpress.com/. If you're unfamiliar with the subject of the bicameral mind, I give a breakdown that would fit on the head of a pin.

Curious to hear your comments.

WPotocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For the past year, what muse I have has been my brother's paintings: Don Michael, Jr.

(The cover for The Summoning Fire is one of his works, but not something I wrote this year.)

I've also been inspired by my daughter, especially when she was younger (3-4 years old). And the dating life of a friend of mine. And characters I created for RPG campaigns.

I'm guessing I don't have a singular "muse" entity.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
WPotocki
Connoisseur
WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WPotocki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRM View Post
For the past year, what muse I have has been my brother's paintings: Don Michael, Jr.

(The cover for The Summoning Fire is one of his works, but not something I wrote this year.)

I've also been inspired by my daughter, especially when she was younger (3-4 years old). And the dating life of a friend of mine. And characters I created for RPG campaigns.

I'm guessing I don't have a singular "muse" entity.

-David
David -

So you use external things that inspire you as a muse? It reminds me of Balanchine and the string of ballerina/wives. He used them as muses to create the most fabulous ballets.

I think we all approach things in a different way, but it's interesting to me that you were able to identify something that acted as a "muse."

I love the cover by the way! Really fab! Your brother painted that? Amazing.

I'll check out the link to see his other work.

Wendy
Old 10-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I sometimes write about stuff to work it out in my head. Like the dating life of a friend ("Enamored" and "Roxy Overload"; these aren't ebooks, BTW, just short stories on my blog). Like the history a daughter of a widow who remarried multiple times ("Nostalgia"; that one is an ebook). Or the chapter in The Summoning Fire that was based on the story of an Iraq war vet coming home to find everything he thought he had was gone, taken away in an incredibly spiteful way. I hear these stories and they're in my head. So I draw on them.

I don't write straight from life, of course. I can't write anything "straight". But everything around me, everyone around me, influences me in some way. And I usually recognize it.

My wife says that anyone who knows an author should be prepared to see themselves in print. ;-)

It's not that obvvious, though. Most of the time...

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
WPotocki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRM View Post
My wife says that anyone who knows an author should be prepared to see themselves in print. ;-)

It's not that obvvious, though. Most of the time...

-David
LOL

It's sort of like being married or knowing a comedian. You're going to find yourself into their stand-up routine!

I worked with two comedians (different places - not that there weren't other clowns at both places - but these women were professional ones). Anyway, when I talked to them, every once in a while they'd stop and tilt their head. They'd repeat what I said and say, "Yeah, that would work!"

It meant it was going into their routine. I'd hold out my hand for payment - never did get any.
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Mine is definitely my wife. She's the one I bounce ideas off and she listens to me read it through. There's always a problem of how much to tell her about and how much to keep as a surprise. But she writes as well, so she has the same problem. It's quite a fun problem though.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My muse is usually coffee. I don't feel quite right sitting there at a table without a cup sitting next to me.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
WPotocki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
My muse is usually coffee. I don't feel quite right sitting there at a table without a cup sitting next to me.
ROFL!

I guess if that's the case, I'd have to say that Starbuck's Apple Chai Lattes are mine!

Roger-

So your wife is a writer also? Fabulous! You both understand the need to go off and bury yourself in the work. No having to explain that one!

Do you write in the same genre?
Old 10-30-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPotocki View Post
ROFL!
Roger-

So your wife is a writer also? Fabulous! You both understand the need to go off and bury yourself in the work. No having to explain that one!

Do you write in the same genre?
She writes histfic set in New Zealand's colonial period. Her stuff is really, really good (yes, I am biased, but I am also right). Mine is fantasy 'cos there are dragons, but not many 'cos I prefer people. But you're right. We both understand the need to go and write. (My wife's writing can be found here)
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
WPotocki
Connoisseur

Roger -

Checked out the links to your wife's work. Sounds fabulous!

I'm about to write the second part of a trilogy that is set in another century and have to do a bit of research. Luckily, it's total fantasy and so it doesn't need to adhere to historical correctness. What she does is so much more meticulous. Like Anne Perry's wonderful mystery series ... so interesting.

Well, my hat is off to her. Her reviews are wonderful. It seems people are grooving on what she does which is so important.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
chicki
Enthusiast
chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.chicki writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

I'm with Nora Roberts on this one. She said:

"If you need to believe in the muse, let's say, fine and dandy. Whatever works for you. But don't tell me you can't work today because the muse has left you. Go track down that fickle slut, drag her back, chain her to your keyboard and get to work!"

and

"I don't believe in waiting for inspiration. It's my job to sit down and figure out what to write. I think if you wait for "the muse" you may wait a very long time."

(As of Feb. 2010, Nora has published 190 full-length novels.)
Source: http://www.noraroberts.com/aboutnora/funfacts.html

Chicki
chicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
WPotocki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicki View Post
I'm with Nora Roberts on this one. She said:

"If you need to believe in the muse, let's say, fine and dandy. Whatever works for you. But don't tell me you can't work today because the muse has left you. Go track down that fickle slut, drag her back, chain her to your keyboard and get to work!"

and

"I don't believe in waiting for inspiration. It's my job to sit down and figure out what to write. I think if you wait for "the muse" you may wait a very long time."

(As of Feb. 2010, Nora has published 190 full-length novels.)
Source: http://www.noraroberts.com/aboutnora/funfacts.html

Chicki

chicki -

Interesting perspective.

I don't believe I've ever read Nora Roberts, but she's hugely successful and I wouldn't DARE argue with success! Not to mention that she has a legion of enthusiastic fans. She's doing something right.

Since I do have a muse, know I have a muse, and regularly have the muse connect with me, I can't agree entirely. However - perhaps surprisingly - I am in total agreement with the need to just sit down and write! No matter what!

In writing a novel, I do really try to sit down every single day whether I feel the muse is there or not. I'm often left without her, having to fill in the gaps. Like with The Horns of September for instance. Okay, so the muse gives me the opening chapter - I run and type it down verbatim. Then she gives me the ending. Again, I sit and type that - the good court reporter that I am. LOL Then, she gives me the MIDDLE chapter! I run, type that down. Love all three, but then ... nothing! I'm left with three chapters wondering what the heck goes in-between them! What happens? What's the action? How do the characters meet? How does the protagonist end up like he does? What happens between him and the character he interacts with in the middle? I pleaded with my muse to tell me ...

I listen and .... crickets in the background.

So I just sat down and wrote - every single day. Sometimes the muse would join me and tell me what happened next, but only just. I never knew what was happening beyond the chapter I was writing, but you know? It all came together beautifully and I really loved the story! Of course, this is my opinion and very subjective. Someone else may read it and have a very different take on it, but I believe Nora is correct. The story would have never been finished if I hadn't pushed myself and done the work.

Point taken, but I do need the muse to give me my characters and story. Until I hear my muse ... no work begins. After it? I'm on my own!

Last edited by WPotocki; 11-02-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPotocki View Post
Roger -

Checked out the links to your wife's work. Sounds fabulous!

I'm about to write the second part of a trilogy that is set in another century and have to do a bit of research. Luckily, it's total fantasy and so it doesn't need to adhere to historical correctness. What she does is so much more meticulous. Like Anne Perry's wonderful mystery series ... so interesting.

Well, my hat is off to her. Her reviews are wonderful. It seems people are grooving on what she does which is so important.
Thanks, Wendy! Best of luck with yours, too.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
Mark Mann
Author
Mark Mann began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
A Holistic View of the Psyche

I believe we have functions in our psyches that are open to transpersonal realities where gods and goddesses and other types of essences or beings reside. But if we develop these transpersonal functions, we have to make sure we have developed our other psychological functions that allow us to use these imaginative and mystical insights, visions and feelings in our everyday lives. We not only have a transpersonal mind and transpersonal emotional nature, we also have an abstract mind, which allows us to perceive concepts and gain the larger view of life, and we the rational mind which allows us to actually synthesize and communicate these insights into writings and speech that others can understand. I write about these functions and other holistic concepts in my astrology book (http://www.amazon.com/Astrology-Abso...8639946&sr=1-1 ). But I also write about muses, goddesses and alternate realities in my book of prose poems (http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Wor...1133194&sr=8-1 ) which I just published on kindle in August, 2010. But I think your ideas are fascinating and as you can tell I explore these ideas in my own writings.

Last edited by Mark Mann; 11-04-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Mark Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
WPotocki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson
Thanks, Wendy! Best of luck with yours, too.
Shayne -

Oh, you are so sweet! Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mann View Post
I believe we have functions in our psyches that are open to transpersonal realities where gods and goddesses and other types of essences or beings reside. But if we develop these transpersonal functions, we have to make sure we have developed our other psychological functions that allow us to use these imaginative and mystical insights, visions and feelings in our everyday lives. We not only have a transpersonal mind and transpersonal emotional nature, we also have an abstract mind, which allows us to perceive concepts and gain the larger view of life, and we the rational mind which allows us to actually synthesize and communicate these insights into writings and speech that others can understand. I write about these functions and other holistic concepts in my astrology book (http://www.amazon.com/Astrology-Abso...8639946&sr=1-1 ). But I also write about muses, goddesses and alternate realities in my book of prose poems (http://www.amazon.com/Collection-Wor...1133194&sr=8-1 ) which I just published on kindle in August, 2010. But I think your ideas are fascinating and as you can tell I explore these ideas in my own writings.
Mark -

Thank you so much!

Yes, agree. It's why we shouldn't rush transformation - or growth. It should come in its own time. If we push, we sometimes are missing key components that allow the structure to stand and be stable. It's like success hitting someone too suddenly. We think it would be great - but not really. We haven't had time to adjust and encompass the enormous pressures that the change will surely entail.

I'm launching into more of my own theory on this subject. The first part is posted, blogged and ready for inspection! It goes more indepth in how to build this house. It's a theory that I came up with a few years ago. I used it to activate this area in my brain that affected my creativity/writing in a profound way. Thank God, I wrote it down! I would never have remembered all those steps I took.

It does tie into the spiritual and mystical. I guess I'm just a "striving towards the heavens" kind of girl!

I checked out your books on amazon. They sound wonderful. Do you use astrology or the psychology of it in your writing? Hope you do.