Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Kindle for PC update

It seems like the update for the Kindle for PC app has gone unnoticed, I can't find a thread on this. Have I just been asleep for a day?

Amazon announced 4/30/2010 that an update for Kindle for PC is available. It includes:

* Full screen reading
* Background color and brightness controls
* The ability to create and edit notes and highlights in your books

They also have a Future Improvements page that lists upcoming features that they are 'thinking' about:

* Search
* Two page reading mode
* Zoom and rotate images
* Collections

The newly added features for Kindle for PC will soon be available for the Mac as well.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
It is a nice improvement. I hadn't really thgouth about it; the version I had was Nov 2009 and labelled "beta". The new version is considerably more polished. The main display screen, though, is still pretty clunky, showing covers floating on the page instead of "on a bookshelf". It would be nice to be able to default to more or fewer titles in a view.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I wonder if this update messes with the uswindle dedrm scheme
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I wonder if this update messes with the uswindle dedrm scheme
Yes, it messes.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Yes, it messes.
Then me = no upgrade
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Then me = no upgrade
Check your settings - see if you've checked the box to automatically load upgrades!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Check your settings - see if you've checked the box to automatically load upgrades!
That was the first thing I did when unwindle came to light
Old 05-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Has anyone seen an updated unswindle script for the new version of K for PC?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
No, it isn't out yet.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
abjdiat
Enthusiast
abjdiat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I just updated, the features worth it for me,
abjdiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
SusanJ
Enthusiast
SusanJ has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle for PC
I just downloaded it for the first time and really like it. One question, though - is there a way to create a basket of books and pay for them all at the same time? I downloaded one of their "freebies" for $2.35 and it said to buy using 1-click which I did, but if you wanted half a dozen books would you have to do that for all six, and have six separate charges on your credit card? My card people like to query multiple transactions at the same retailer in a short space of time, so I'd rather not set them off by having several small amounts appearing on my statement from the same shopping session. I've looked around the site but can't see a way to do it, unless I'm being totally clueless.
SusanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Have you considered reading more slowly to spread out your purchases?

(LOL. Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I've actually been wondering the same thing. I am so accustomed to buying four or five things at Amazon to reduce the shipping fee, it seems odd to me to buy one thing for $2 or $6. And be forced to do so one at a time.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Kindle books (like B&N ebooks & Kobo ebooks) must be purchased one at a time. There's no shopping cart.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
jharrison
jharrison began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch; iPad
I purchase a gift card using my CC and then the book charges are deducted from that one purchase.

Last edited by jharrison; 05-07-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: misspelling
jharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #15
SusanJ
Enthusiast
SusanJ has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle for PC
Quote:
Have you considered reading more slowly to spread out your purchases?

I might have to consider that! Thanks AnemicOak and jharrison - I just wanted to check there wasn't some setting I was overlooking to get myself a cart, but if that's how they all do it then perhaps I'll look at the gift card option. Or I could just stop buying stuff until I finish all the freebies I already have from various places
SusanJ is offline   Reply With Quote