Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Question Cybook Version 1.2 Build 820

I just bought my girlfriend a shiny Cybook for her birthday present. In its menu it shows that is has build 820 installed. Din anybody else hear something about that? I didn't see it anywhere else...

cheers,

kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
820 has been shipping for several months. It appears not to offer any new functionality over the latest update (796), but may perhaps boot more quickly.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
820 has been shipping for several months. It appears not to offer any new functionality over the latest update (796), but may perhaps boot more quickly.
I note, however, that Build 820 is *STILL* not available as a download... Sigh. Guess "previous" customers are still not a high priority for Bookeen. Sigh.

Derek

P.S. I *also* note that the latest Jinke V3 firmware update *NOW* supports deletion of ebooks *without* requiring a PC to do the deletion. Yet another update feature included in non-Bookeen devices which Bookeen can't seem to figure out. Sigh.

Last edited by delphidb96; 01-26-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Additional information gained.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I suspect that Bookeen feel that the small number of bug fixes in 820 isn't worth the support cost of making a new firmware build available.

I'm still feeling optimistic that the next firmware update will make some significant improvements. It is a bit later than I anticipated though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I note, however, that Build 820 is *STILL* not available as a download... Sigh. Guess "previous" customers are still not a high priority for Bookeen. Sigh.

Derek

P.S. I *also* note that the latest Jinke V3 firmware update *NOW* supports deletion of ebooks *without* requiring a PC to do the deletion. Yet another update feature included in non-Bookeen devices which Bookeen can't seem to figure out. Sigh.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:01 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think they just said "early in 2009". That could mean March or April .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #6
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think they just said "early in 2009". That could mean March or April .

Well....it should be before June 30th 23:59.59
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Their newsletter from 7 of December 2008 states:

"The Bookeen team would like to thank all the users who provided us with their precious and helpful suggestions and feedback. Our Dev team is working on a new firmware upgrade? the e-reading will evolve once again? The firmware update should be released at the beginning of 2009."

So it’s not strange that one expects that “beginning” does want to say “beginning”…
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #8
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
So it’s not strange that one expects that “beginning” does want to say “beginning”…
It is all a matter of semantics. The fist half can be called 'The Beginning' in marketing speak. The marketeers ar always much to optimistic. It is not a straight lie

In the software world I learned to expect the worst case scenario.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
It is all a matter of semantics. The fist half can be called 'The Beginning' in marketing speak. The marketeers ar always much to optimistic. It is not a straight lie

In the software world I learned to expect the worst case scenario.
In the (unlikely, I still believe) event of not having the upgrade until the mid of this year, I will certainly feel lied. I am a costumer, not a potencial buyer. In fact, if there is not an upgrade until the end of March or any news about it, I will write a letter to Bookeen exposing my position.

However, I must stress I do not have any kind of complains against Bookeen: it always treated me well: answered my e-mails, tried to answer my questions, immediately replaced my device when I found out the SD drive didn't work...

It as been many months now without some substancial news about the new firmware - with the exception of that newsletter. But I still have no reason to believe they will treat me differently this time - that they intencionally won't deliver or keep their word.

We'll see...

Regards
Nelson

Last edited by nelsonescorcio; 01-27-2009 at 08:23 AM.
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Yes, “seeing…” (a ver a banda passar…) is something we have lots of experience concerning firmware upgrades and Bookeen…
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Weren't we having this same discussion this time last year? And when did the promised update finally appear? March?

My honest opinion: Just get on with enjoying the use of the Cybook and forget about any update or else you'll be getting very frustrated very soon.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
My honest opinion: Just get on with enjoying the use of the Cybook and forget about any update or else you'll be getting very frustrated very soon.
Good advice, indeed.

(And Bookeen has been actually been better about firmware updates than Amazon with the Kindle. Faint praise, I know.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #13
nelsonescorcio
Zealot
nelsonescorcio doesn't litternelsonescorcio doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Weren't we having this same discussion this time last year? And when did the promised update finally appear? March?

You are right. I know you are right. Just can't help it...
nelsonescorcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #14
GUIZMOW
Enthusiast
GUIZMOW doesn't litterGUIZMOW doesn't litterGUIZMOW doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hope...always hope...

Come on, we'll have one for sure, one day, do we really need one know? Well not me. My cybook is working fine. But still i am quite exited by what could be a new firmware... it's like going from ms-dos to windows7! maybe exagerating but still, i got faith!

guiz
GUIZMOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #15
plazec
plazec doesn't litterplazec doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen 3, HTC Desire
As I learned from another forums, someone bought new cybook with firmware build 820, and It looks like major feature of this version is localizaion, as it has menu in czech language, peraphs in some more...
plazec is offline   Reply With Quote